Clickonce Error writing to Hard disk

Question

• For the past several weeks i've been having a heck of a time with Clickonce.  the latest issue is

"An error has occured writing to the hard disk.   Check if there is enough freespace on the disk.  Contact the application vendor."

Checked the space and it all looks ok.  In the error report, it states that one of my DLL's alredy exists.  It does'nt before i run the application, everything downloads fine, but after the application has downloaded it gives me that error, then deletes all the temp files it created.

I have'nt found anything so far online, so any help is greatly appreciated.

The details are as follows:

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
     Windows    : 5.1.2600.131072 (Win32NT)
     Common Language Runtime  : 2.0.50727.42
     System.Deployment.dll   : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
     mscorwks.dll    : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
     dfdll.dll    : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
     dfshim.dll    : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)

IDENTITIES
     Application Identity  : AIMS.exe, Version=1.1.1.16, Culture=en, PublicKeyToken=9469fa3944a7ccad, processorArchitecture=msil, type=win32

ERROR SUMMARY
     Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
     * Activation of C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxxxxxxxx\Start Menu\Programs\AIMS\AIMS.appref-ms resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
      + Downloading http://xxxxxxxxxxxxx/deploymentdirectory/AIMS.BusinessLogic.dll.deploy did not succeed.
      + The file 'C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\Local Settings\Temp\Deployment\ZNN84N42.TYR\633X3EL7.EN0\BusinessLogic.dll' already exists.

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
     No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
     There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
     * [12/6/2005 9:20:47 AM] : Activation of C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxxx\AIMS.appref-ms has started.
     * [12/6/2005 9:20:47 AM] : Installation of the application has started.
     * [12/6/2005 9:20:47 AM] : Processing of application manifest has successfully completed.
     * [12/6/2005 9:20:51 AM] : Request of trust and detection of platform is complete.

ERROR DETAILS
     Following errors were detected during this operation.
     * [12/6/2005 9:21:08 AM] System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentDownloadException (Unknown subtype)
      - Downloading http://xxxxxxxxxxxxx/deploymentdirectory/BusinessLogic.dll.deploy did not succeed.
      - Source: System.Deployment
      - Stack trace:
       at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)
       at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadAllFiles()
       at System.Deployment.Application.FileDownloader.Download(SubscriptionState subState)
       at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDependencies(SubscriptionState subState, AssemblyManifest deployManifest, AssemblyManifest appManifest, Uri sourceUriBase, String targetDirectory, String group, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.DownloadApplication(SubscriptionState subState, ActivationDescription actDesc, Int64 transactionId, TempDirectory& downloadTemp)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.InstallApplication(SubscriptionState subState, ActivationDescription actDesc)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)
      --- Inner Exception ---
      System.IO.IOException
      - The file 'C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxxxxxxx\Local Settings\Temp\Deployment\ZNN84N42.TYR\633X3EL7.EN0\BusinessLogic.dll' already exists.
      - Source: mscorlib
      - Stack trace:
       at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
       at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
       at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
       at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
     No transaction information is available.

Tuesday, December 06, 2005 2:31 PM

Answers

• I Think i've fixed it... but don't understand how or why.

What i did was go back into the project, and change the offending refernces copy local property to false, built, attemted to publish (gave an exception about it being strong typed) changed the property back to true and published again.

Any thoughts as to why this worked?
    Tuesday, December 06, 2005 3:33 PM

All replies

• I Think i've fixed it... but don't understand how or why.

What i did was go back into the project, and change the offending refernces copy local property to false, built, attemted to publish (gave an exception about it being strong typed) changed the property back to true and published again.

Any thoughts as to why this worked?
    Tuesday, December 06, 2005 3:33 PM
  • I know this was a long time ago now. I've run into the exact same problem, which I've not seen described anywhere else. I'm deploying a C++ app, so I don't have the project options that you describe because I've got to build the deployment by hand. Did you ever determine what really was causing this?

Any help much appreciated...

Thursday, May 17, 2007 6:46 PM
  • I ran into the same problem today, and it seems it is due to duplicate application components being included with the ClickOnce deployment package.

To remove the duplicates, open the project properties and go to the Publish tab. There, click on the Application Files button. Check if any of the files are included more than once and set them to Exclude (in the Publish Status column). Press OK and try again to see if it solved your problem...

Tuesday, November 06, 2007 12:27 PM
  • I ran into the same problem today, and it seems it is due to duplicate application components being included with the ClickOnce deployment package.

To remove the duplicates, open the project properties and go to the Publish tab. There, click on the Application Files button. Check if any of the files are included more than once and set them to Exclude (in the Publish Status column). Press OK and try again to see if it solved your problem...

This answer was the exact solution I was looking for - thanks very much!
    Monday, March 28, 2011 2:28 PM