none
Windows message "PROGRAM HAS STOPPED WORKING"

Question

• What would cause me to get the message "PROGRAM HAS STOPPED WORKING" from Windows after I start running my program? Program was running fine up until yesterday when I made what I thought were minor improvements.
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 2:31 PM

Answers

• I dont see any evidence that there is an ERROR causing the program to crash. The program does run long enough for me to enter some numbers into a data entry window, but it crashes shortly afterwards.

Given this information, I would diagnose your problem as some incorrect handling of parameters on your part. If you can enter information, and it crashes after this information is submitted, it is more than likely the functions the information is being passed to that are causing the crash because your code is feeding them information which is not acceptable.

Without your code, it's impossible to be any more exact than that.

Thursday, March 28, 2013 11:57 PM

All replies

• Can you show me the code so I can take a look ?
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 4:03 PM
  • It is thousands of lines long. I cannot share it on here. Is there some way to publish it?
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 5:09 PM
  • It is really thousands of lines long ?

If you don't have a powerful enough computer, the compiler may crash from that, that's why.

Can you give me your specs ?

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 5:23 PM
  • I have an Intel Core i5-2430M CPU @ 2.4 GHz 6.00 GB RAM
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 5:29 PM
  • I just took out everything I added yesterday ( hundreds of lines of Code) but it still wont run..
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 5:51 PM
  • Did you do a Windows Update recently, if that's the case, try the system restore from the auto save
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 6:33 PM
  • Lots of things can cause this, mostly the Math functions, fractional power of negative numbers or invalid trig arguments or others.

You have to debug the code to isolate where it is happening.

Examples that cause a crash.

You may get a pop-up box saying something about the error, which may narrow the search down or simplify the code to get a case that crashes or put lots of WriteLine statements in to see where it happens.

x = Math.Power(100,100)
    x = Math.Power(-1,0.5)
    x = Math.ArcSin(2)
    x = Math.SquareRoot(-1)

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 6:34 PM
  • I had seen someone make the suggestion to restore the system to an earlier period of time so I restored to a date of about a month ago. It made no difference!
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 7:24 PM
  • I dont see any evidence that there is an ERROR causing the program to crash. The program does run long enough for me to enter some numbers into a data entry window, but it crashes shortly afterwards.
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 7:26 PM
  • system restore did not help
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 10:36 PM

Given this information, I would diagnose your problem as some incorrect handling of parameters on your part. If you can enter information, and it crashes after this information is submitted, it is more than likely the functions the information is being passed to that are causing the crash because your code is feeding them information which is not acceptable.

Without your code, it's impossible to be any more exact than that.

Thursday, March 28, 2013 11:57 PM