none
Can't connect to DQS server from DQS Client on different computers

Question

• Hi all

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

I'm trying to get my team onto a single Data Quality Server. I've installed the Data Quality Client and Server on the client computers. I've created SQL logins based on Windows principals and granted Data Quality Services (DQS) roles on the DQS_MAIN database. I've also enabled TCP/IP network protocol for the relevant SQL Server instance (and restarted the server service).

I don't know what else I'm missing here, as far as I can see those are all the necessary steps.

If anyone has some tips or advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Matt

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 5:06 PM

All replies

• Hi Matt,

Whats the error you are getting?

Thanks
    Vivek
    (SQL Server Documentation | Twitter: @vivek_msft)

NOTE: Please remember to appropriately vote a post as "helpful" or mark as "answer" to help the community.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 6:44 PM
  • Hi Vivek

Thanks for the reply. I tried to connect to [ServerName\Database] and get the following error:

"A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)"

The full message is:

SQL Server Data Quality Services
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message Id: LogOnWindowFailedToConnect
    Cannot connect to TOUCHBASE-01\TOUCHBASE.

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean callerHasConnectionLock, Boolean asyncClose)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Connect(ServerInfo serverInfo, SqlInternalConnectionTds connHandler, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, Int64 timerExpire, Boolean encrypt, Boolean trustServerCert, Boolean integratedSecurity, Boolean withFailover)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.AttemptOneLogin(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, SecureString newSecurePassword, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, TimeoutTimer timeout, Boolean withFailover)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.LoginNoFailover(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, SecureString newSecurePassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, SqlCredential credential, TimeoutTimer timeout)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(TimeoutTimer timeout, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, SqlCredential credential, String newPassword, SecureString newSecurePassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, SqlCredential credential, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SecureString newSecurePassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnectionString userConnectionOptions)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, DbConnectionPoolKey poolKey, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal& connection)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.TryOpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.TryOpen(TaskCompletionSource`1 retry)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()
       at Microsoft.Ssdqs.Proxy.Database.DBAccessClient..ctor(IDictionary`2 connectionData)
       at Microsoft.Ssdqs.Proxy.Database.DatabaseMetadataUtility..ctor(String instanceName, Boolean useEncryption)
       at Microsoft.Ssdqs.Studio.ViewModels.ViewModels.Application.LogOnWindowViewModel.ConnectToServer()
       at Microsoft.Ssdqs.Studio.ViewModels.Utilities.UIAsynchronousRelayAction.Action()
       at Microsoft.Ssdqs.Studio.ViewModels.Utilities.UIAsynchronousAction.ActionExecuter()
    ClientConnectionId:00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 6:53 PM
  • Hi Matt,

Have you installed Data Quality Server in a named instance of SQL Server or default instance?

• If you have installed it in a default instance, you just have to specify the name of the computer where Data Quality Server is installed in the Data Quality Client log in screen.
    • If you installed it in a named instance, you must specify the instance name along with the computer name to connect to in the Data Quality Client log in screen. For example: “(LOCAL)\<Instance_Name>” if Data Quality Server is on the same computer, and “<Computer_Name>\<Instance_Name>” if Data Quality Server is on remote computer.

Thanks
    Vivek

NOTE: Please remember to appropriately vote a post as "helpful" or mark as "answer" to help the community.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 7:06 PM
  • I installed DQ Server in a named instance (TOUCHBASE in this case)

I have no trouble connecting to the server from the same machine. When I try connect from a remote computer, I specify TOUCHBASE-01\TOUCHBASE, but get the error above.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 7:26 PM
  • Matt,

Could you please check if the SQL Server Browser service is running on your Data Quality Server computer. If not, run it and then try connecting to DQS using a Data Quality Client from the remote computer.

If you are not successful, try restarting the SQL Server service, and then reconnect. Hope that works.

Thanks
    Vivek

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 8:17 PM