none
Power Pivot / Power View Data Security

Question

• We secure our users and data with a custom security model, database and application.  We want to use Power View / Pivot self hosted.  ActiveDirectory authentication is not an option for us.  Our standard approach with SharePoint is a custom authentication provider for authentication and custom claims providers to secure our data.  I have been unable to find documentation on whether Power Pivot / Power View suppport SharePoint claims or how we might interact with the overall model to insure that a given user is only presented with the data they are entitled to see.  I was told by Microsoft staff at the SharePoint Vegas Conference last year that this was doable, but that it would be 6 months before the documentation was published.  So far no info that I can find.  Any information or advice you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Jim

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 5:36 PM

Answers

• I have been unable to find documentation on whether Power Pivot / Power View suppport SharePoint claims or how we might interact with the overall model to insure that a given user is only presented with the data they are entitled to see

Hello Jim,

Within PowerPivot itself we don't have any security option; every user can see any data; see PowerPivot Authentication and Authorization

"There is no role-based authorization for PowerPivot data at the cell, row, or table level. You cannot secure different parts of the workbook to grant or deny access to sensitive data within it for specific users. Embedded PowerPivot data is wholly available to users who have View permissions on the Excel workbook in a SharePoint library."

Only SSAS Tabular Mode, the server variant of PowerPivot, supports also row-level security; see Tabular Modeling (SSAS Tabular) and follow up links.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Thursday, October 17, 2013 4:05 AM