Error when creating a new database project

Question

• Hello All,

I'm receiving the following error when I create a new Server 2008 Database Project. The error is shown after I open the Properties for the project.

An error occurred trying to load the project properties window.  Close the window and try again.
    Cannot evaluate the item metadata "%(FullPath)". The item meta-data "%(FullPath)" cannot be applied to the path "obj\Debug|Any CPU\Database8.dbschema". Illegal characters in path.  c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\Microsoft.Common.targets

It seems this error normally occurs when the path exceeds 260 characters, but the path for this project is C:\Test.

It seems this is the same error occuring http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsazure/thread/673b4cce-d126-40fb-97a9-dad81c6f16ed, but I'm receiving this error using Database Edition GDR 2.

My environment is:

Windows Server 2008 SP1
    Visual Studio Team SP1
    .Net Framework 3.5 SP1

Any ideas??? Thanks!

Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:27 AM

Answers

All replies

• This is not a length issue.  There is a | in your path for the build output directory and that character is not valid in file names.  Is this loading from one of the default templates or are you using a custom template or did you change the build output directory to be Debug|Any CPU?

Andrew

Thursday, September 10, 2009 4:18 PM
  • I thought the | was the culprit, but I can't figure out how it's being inserted into the path. This project is loading from the default template for a Server 2008 Database Project. I didn't change the output directory. If I unload the project and look as the MSBuild OutputPath, the value is ".\sql\debug". 

Is the OutputPath the same as the output directory? 

Thanks for your help!

Wednesday, September 16, 2009 2:14 PM
  • Hi ShaggyDogT

It seems the database project template is corrucpted. Could you run command prompt window as administrator, then run devenv /setup and devenv /resetuserdata to reset Visual Studio? Then check if the same issue still occur. 

Bill Wang

MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by Edward Taylor Wednesday, September 23, 2009 12:54 PM
    Monday, September 21, 2009 3:40 AM
  • Bill

Wow, I can't express my gratitude enough for your help. All my searches proved fruitless in trying to address this issue. Thank you immensely for pinpointing the issue and providing a solution to the error. Everything is working correctly and I'm back to creating new database projects!

Wednesday, September 23, 2009 12:54 PM