none
Combo Box drop down arrow invisible on reports

Question

• I'm a little rusty and maybe I'm missing something here, but... when I create a Combo Box on a report, the drop down arrow doesn't show in Report View. It shouldn't be like that, right?

I'll create a blank report, add a Combo Box and a RowSource... the drop down arrow is there in Design View, but once I switch to Report View, gone. I do still get auto-complete on the control as soon as I start typing. And if I copy the same Combo Box to a form, it works just fine and the arrow shows.

Is there some reason why Combo Boxes shouldn't work on a report? I had never used them on reports before, but I can't think of one.

I'm using Access 2010 and Win 7.

Friday, July 20, 2012 11:25 AM

Answers

• A report cannot display dropdown lists, so there is no point in displaying the dropdown arrow either.

Reports are intended to view data, not to edit them. Forms are used to edit data.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar

• Proposed as answer by KCDW Friday, July 20, 2012 6:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dummy yoyoModerator Wednesday, August 01, 2012 8:12 AM
    Friday, July 20, 2012 12:20 PM

All replies

• A report cannot display dropdown lists, so there is no point in displaying the dropdown arrow either.

Reports are intended to view data, not to edit them. Forms are used to edit data.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar

• Proposed as answer by KCDW Friday, July 20, 2012 6:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dummy yoyoModerator Wednesday, August 01, 2012 8:12 AM
    Friday, July 20, 2012 12:20 PM
  • Gotcha. Although I never said anything about editing data and I am quite aware that forms aren't used to edit data.

However, plenty of other interactive controls are allowed and used on reports. Buttons for example. They work just fine and are frequently used for navigation, filtering, sorting etc. There are certain things only reports can display, but you still want the user to have some control over what he's looking at. I was hoping to use unbound Combo Boxes for navigation and for switching some key elements and features on the report. I was also hoping that I would be able to do this without having to use the report as a sub-report on a form (just makes the code needlessly complicated). But it looks like that's the only way to do it. Shame.

Thanks for the reply though!

Friday, July 20, 2012 12:54 PM
  • I've always wondered at people who use buttons and other interactive controls on reports. I use a form for the user's input and then take that information and present the report. I think of a report as a piece of paper, not one more means of input.

As a wise developer told me once, "Just because you can do something does not make it the best way to achieve your goal."

Bill Mosca
    http://www.thatlldoit.com
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MS_Access_Professionals

Friday, July 20, 2012 2:06 PM
  • I don't have enough experience with Report View to explain why the drop arrow isn't there, but I would expect it to be there and suspect that it might be a bug if it's not there.

Actually, I don't understand the motivation for Report View because it acts like it's a form rather than a report and maybe its schizophrenic nature lost track of the drop arrow??  I think(?) its reason for being has something to do with web databases where a printed report doesn't make much sense.

Friday, July 20, 2012 4:55 PM
  • Gotcha. ... I am quite aware that forms aren't used to edit data.

Hehe, I always use Forms to edit data...

Chris Ward

Friday, July 20, 2012 9:16 PM
  • ...filtering for instance...?
    ...like, when you want to requery data (e.g. with different product, person, location etc.) without having to close and reopen the form...
    • Edited by ofcoursedude Thursday, July 11, 2013 10:50 AM enhancing text with example
    Thursday, July 11, 2013 10:48 AM
  • So why does Access give me the ability to add a Combo Box on a Report if it's not actually going to work?  Seems weird.
    Friday, August 30, 2013 7:18 AM
  • So why does Access give me the ability to add a Combo Box on a Report if it's not actually going to work?  Seems weird.

Since a combo box can be used to display a lookup value.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar (http://www.eileenslounge.com)

Friday, August 30, 2013 9:31 AM