How to Rotate Text in RTF

Question

• Hi Folks,

Any RTF experts out there? 

I want to insert a text object that is rotated like what you can do in Powerpoint's text box or Word's Word Art.  Unfortunately, when either is saved in RTF, the text content is lost in the raw code, so I cannot do a search and replace on the rotated text.  Word only saves the text content if the text box is used with the alignment changed to vertical.

Is there any way to create rotated text that is visible in the RTF code? 

I am prepared to insert all the required positioning code myself, if I only knew what was required.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, July 20, 2006 7:06 PM

Answers

• I just tried +/- 90 degrees.  Sorry I missed your requirement.
    Saturday, July 22, 2006 2:16 AM

All replies

• The ultimate RTF expert is Microsoft Word.  Start it up, type your text, insert a text box and use Format + Text Direction to rotate the text.  Save the file in the .rtf format and look at it with Notepad.  Be prepared to be overwhelmed...

Friday, July 21, 2006 12:11 AM
  • But it's so easy in Microsoft Word; shouldn't it be just a few lines of code?
    Friday, July 21, 2006 12:53 PM
  • The problem isn't rotating the text...that can be done relativly easy either by painting the text ontop of or directly in the rtf...this issue as i see it for the OP's question is getting the RTF codes to recognize the rotated text! Word does this by "imaging"...the rotated text or word art becomes an image within the document....so maybe that is your solution....create an image with the rotated text....copy it to the clip board and then paste it into the rtf and it will becdome apart of the rtf code...By gosh I think that's it!
    Friday, July 21, 2006 1:05 PM
  • Hmm, the RTF isn't that big...  Just a lot of repeated stuff, Word tends to do that.
    Friday, July 21, 2006 3:28 PM
  • Hi Again Folks,

DMan1 seems to understand my problem.  The rotated text is embedded into the RTF file as an image, appearing in the code as  "SHAPE \*MERGEFORMAT".  The actual text line that has been rotated does not appear, so I cannot do a search or replace on the rotated text within the RTF file. 

Text which has first been generated in Word using the Text Box and re-aligned by Text Direction still retains the inserted text in the RTF code, but that's no good to me because I need to Free Rotate it on an angle.  Free Rotation can only be done in Word on drawing images and Word Art. 

Powerpoint allows free rotation on text boxes, but you can only save in "Outline RTF" which appears as an empty file when I open the RTF in Notepad.

See my problem? 

Friday, July 21, 2006 6:00 PM
  • Umm, no, I definitely see my original text in the RTF.  And no hex bytes at all like you'd get when there's a bitmap inserted in the text.  I'd like to drill down the relevant RTF pieces but I just don't have the energy.  Sorry...

Friday, July 21, 2006 10:24 PM
  • Hi Nobugz,

I must be missing something here.  My version of Word 2002 does not allow free rotation on a text box.  It only allows FORMAT > TEXT DIRECTION, either horizontal or vertical left or right.  And yes, it retains the original text in the RTF code, but as I indicated, I need to free rotate the text on an angle.  The only way I can see to do that is with DRAW > ROTATE or FLIP on  a shape, and when I use that, the text in the rotated image is not saved in the raw RTF.

Does your version of Word actually allow you to free rotate a text box, or am I misunderstanding your message?

Saturday, July 22, 2006 1:35 AM
  • I just tried +/- 90 degrees.  Sorry I missed your requirement.
    Saturday, July 22, 2006 2:16 AM