Visual Studio Academic vs. Express edition

Question

• With the release of visual studio express edition, it seems that Microsoft intends to downplay the academic edition and encourage students to go for express edition. One of the signs for this is that academic is no longer a version in the visual studio family since 2005 release and there is no webpage on microsoft.com to introduce the academic edition.

Since my old programs use MFC, I need VS 2005 pro or standard. So my questions are: can I install VS 2005 academic on more than one computers. In my case, I want to install it on two machines. Can I distribute the binary code built with VS academic? Is there any other restrictions on the use of academic edition?

Friday, November 23, 2007 4:50 PM

Answers

• One of your previous questions on whether you can distribute with code built from AE, the answer is only for non-profit purposes. Express Editions has no restrictions on distribution. Many MFC like free libraries are available which can be used commercial purposes.

Many AE licenses allow for installing and activating on two machines. As buying the AE requires a valid Academic ID, I am assuming you are associated with an Academic Institution. If so, please check whether the department you belong to already has a subscription to MSDN Academic Alliance. As a student or faculty in the department subscribing to MSDN AA you get free copies of development tools including VS 2005 Professional (actually you get Team Suite Edition as well). That way you can install on 2 machines for academic purposes.

Regards

Shams

Monday, November 26, 2007 11:16 AM

All replies

• 1 see Which version of Visual Studio 2005?
    2 for distribution, see the Redist.txt in the Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 directory on the install CD or on the DVD.
    Sunday, November 25, 2007 6:05 PM
  • Just Try to search on MSDN i think a lots of article is present on the same discussion.

Thanx
    Monday, November 26, 2007 3:15 AM
  • Thanks, Shukla and Jiang.

But one thing I did  not find is, if I buy retailed box version of VS 2005 AE, can I install and activate it on two computers?

Monday, November 26, 2007 8:12 AM
  • One of your previous questions on whether you can distribute with code built from AE, the answer is only for non-profit purposes. Express Editions has no restrictions on distribution. Many MFC like free libraries are available which can be used commercial purposes.

Many AE licenses allow for installing and activating on two machines. As buying the AE requires a valid Academic ID, I am assuming you are associated with an Academic Institution. If so, please check whether the department you belong to already has a subscription to MSDN Academic Alliance. As a student or faculty in the department subscribing to MSDN AA you get free copies of development tools including VS 2005 Professional (actually you get Team Suite Edition as well). That way you can install on 2 machines for academic purposes.

Regards

Shams

Monday, November 26, 2007 11:16 AM