How to configure the E-mail Notification without specifying the SMTP Host ?

Question

• Hello,

I have installed the Visual studio Power tools and tried configuring TFS server for E-Mail Configuration, Where we have to specify the SMTP server  IP. Because of security concern we are not allowed to target the SMTP sever directly and its not enabled for us.  Is there any other alternative where in, I can configure E-mail notification without specifying the SMT server .

Please suggest

Wednesday, February 01, 2012 5:07 AM

Answers

• You need an SMTP server to send emails. There's no way around it. 

Either configure your mailserver to accept emails from the TFS service account or the TFS Server's IP Address. Alternatively you could install the IIS SMTP Service on a server (the TFS Server for example) and configure that to only accept email from the TFS Server's IP Address.

My blog: blog.jessehouwing.nl

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 9:38 PM

All replies

• Es gibt nur eine SMTP Schnittstelle.
    Aber innerhalb eines Server Netzwerkes ist SMTP doch kein Sicherheitsrisiko.... vor allem wenn man dem SMTP nur Verbindungen von spezifischen IPs zulässt.

Martin Richter -- MVP for VC++ [Germany] -- http://blog.m-ri.de
    Thursday, February 02, 2012 10:05 AM
  • Hello Martin,

Could you please convey it in English. I am sorry I can understand only English

Friday, February 03, 2012 5:02 AM
  • You need an SMTP server to send emails. There's no way around it. 

Either configure your mailserver to accept emails from the TFS service account or the TFS Server's IP Address. Alternatively you could install the IIS SMTP Service on a server (the TFS Server for example) and configure that to only accept email from the TFS Server's IP Address.

My blog: blog.jessehouwing.nl

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 9:38 PM