Setting Row Headers In A CSV

Answers

• No error checking here to ensure that each row actually contains the columns, but you get the idea:

List<string[]> parsedData = new List<string[]>();

using (StreamReader readfile = new StreamReader(path))
       {
        string line;
        string[] row;

while ((line = readfile.ReadLine()) != null)
        {
         row = line.Split(',');
         parsedData.Add(new string[]{row[5], row[8]});
        }
       }

Additionally, I would look for a better storage mechanism than a List of strings, perhaps a List of classes that would better describe the data.

It would be greatly appreciated if you would mark any helpful entries as helpful and if the entry answers your question, please mark it with the Answer link.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 12:38 PM

All replies

• No error checking here to ensure that each row actually contains the columns, but you get the idea:

List<string[]> parsedData = new List<string[]>();

using (StreamReader readfile = new StreamReader(path))
       {
        string line;
        string[] row;

while ((line = readfile.ReadLine()) != null)
        {
         row = line.Split(',');
         parsedData.Add(new string[]{row[5], row[8]});
        }
       }

Additionally, I would look for a better storage mechanism than a List of strings, perhaps a List of classes that would better describe the data.

It would be greatly appreciated if you would mark any helpful entries as helpful and if the entry answers your question, please mark it with the Answer link.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 12:38 PM
  • hi,

I have a CSV and need to be able to brake down each row and column so that I can select indervidual cells within the CSV and set them as an object (i think). I would like to select the "Date" from the CSV which may be in "C3" and a value which may be in "C7" and nothing else.

Is this possible? 

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 3:41 PM
  • You may want to take a look at this post:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/csharplanguage/thread/12c8f825-966c-4900-b1e6-d1bc520e5520

Since it is almost identical to what you had posted there.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 3:55 PM