none
Visual Studio 2010 and Windows Mobile Development - what are my options?

Question

• I recently was requested to work with code for a set of handheld barcode scanners.  The original program I'm supposed to maintain was written in Visual Studio 2005 (C#).  The documentation with the scanner SDK stated to windows mobile 5.0 SDK.  For the record, I am running VS2010 on a WinXP box with Service Pack 3 installed, and the target device is a barcode scanner running Windows Mobile 6 Professional.

As far as I can tell, my problem is that I don't have VS2005.  I've been having trouble with installs (VS install went great, but whenever I open the project it fails to convert - and every attempt at recommended SDK installs keep telling me I need something else).  From seeking information, I've come up with the following:

1) On the Daniweb forums, Visual Studio 2010 is implied in this thread (http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread299843.html) to be incompatible with the windows mobile 5.0 SDK.  (I am assuming this is the case with windows mobile 6 as well, considering the nature of the error message I received when trying to install the professional version of that - a detailed list of missing prerequisites for installation.)

2) After I saw it referenced in the Visual Studio forums, I had considered VS2008 Express as an option.  I have since seen the segment of the 2008 Express page indicating that it is specifically not supported.

I have sent an email to the technical support address for the company that produces the scanners we use, asking if they have a VS2010 friendly version of their SDK.  As of this point, I have not yet received a response.  Assuming the answer is 'no', what options do I have?  Is there a VS2010-friendly equivalent to the Windows Mobile 5.0 SDK I could use-, something that might be compatible with the third-party SDK I need to install?  Am I stuck with getting my hands on a copy of VS2008 Professional and installing it?  Or is there some other option I might be able to try?
    Friday, December 03, 2010 6:38 PM

Answers

All replies