none
creating virtual machine for sharepoint 2013

Question

• I purchased a dell prcision m6700 lab top

Installed on it a virtual machine having sharepoint 2013 server, domain controller , sql server all on one --windows server 2012, sql server 2012

I have 32 G ram on this lab top and it has windows 8 operating system.

I feel it is slow.

Is it better to install three virtual machines one having sharepoint 2013 server, another having a domain controller, and a third having sql server 212. If so do you have a link that helps me let the three virtual machine see each other concerning ip addresses and so on.

Is there a link for installing three virtual machines as described above and let them talk to each other.

Thank you.

sz

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 2:25 PM

Answers

• This depends on your network configuration.  You can set your Hyper-V network to "external" and assign them the same range of IPs your Windows 8 hosts gets, or you can set the Hyper-V network to "internal" then create your own subnet (e.g. using 192.168.0.0/24).

Trevor Seward, MCC

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by Semika Wednesday, July 24, 2013 7:41 PM
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 10:03 PM

All replies

• SharePoint 2013 is not supported to be installed on a DC.  Yes, it is at least best to separate the DC as the DC will disable write caching which will significantly impact performance.

This will also highly depend on the disk you have them installed on, is it an SSD, 7200 RPM, or 5400 RPM disk?  And is this disk separate from where Win 8 is installed?

Trevor Seward, MCC

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 2:31 PM
  • Slow where? If it's slow first page load then that's a fundamental limitation in the architecture of SharePoint. There are ways to cope with it but the first time you load a Site Collection is always slow. More than 20 seconds is a sign of configuration or performance issues, much longer than 20seconds is almost certainly configuration.
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 3:09 PM
  • I have one hard disk SSD .

Thank you.

sz

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 8:36 PM
  • How to let the two vm talk to each other which IP address I should give them. Shall I select private network or external network for the virtual machines using hyper-v

Thank you.

sz

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 8:37 PM
  • This depends on your network configuration.  You can set your Hyper-V network to "external" and assign them the same range of IPs your Windows 8 hosts gets, or you can set the Hyper-V network to "internal" then create your own subnet (e.g. using 192.168.0.0/24).

Trevor Seward, MCC

• Marked as answer by Semika Wednesday, July 24, 2013 7:41 PM
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 10:03 PM