none
[MS-PNRP] 3.1.5.6.1.2 Completing a Route Entry Cache Addition

Question

• 6. The PNRP ID in the Route Entry MUST be compared against the PNRP ID of the CPA, and the addresses in the Route Entry MUST be compared against the service addresses in the CPA. If they do not match, the Route Entry MUST be silently discarded.

While it may make sense to have clients only be able to publish records for addresses they serve, this rule does not apply to the actual implementation.

For one, Windows (sometimes) leaks IPv4 mapped addresses into the CPA, of course these are not in the Route Entry, so the records should be invalid - but the Windows implementation deems them valid.

Publishing any other record for an address I do not serve works fine too, and can be resolved properly using Windows clients.

Question is - is the Windows implementation correct in allowing any address in the CPA and the documentation wrong, or the documentation correct and the Windows implementation wrong.

Thanks for your assistance.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 11:26 AM

Answers

• Resolved - I was comparing Payload of the CPA to the Route Entry instead of the ServiceAddressList of the CPA to the Route Entry.

The Payload is not validated to the Route Entry.

Thanks Tarun Chopra for digging - again.

• Marked as answer by msosilover Tuesday, January 15, 2013 5:53 PM
    Tuesday, January 15, 2013 5:53 PM

All replies

• Hello msosilover,
                             Thank you for your inquiry about PNRP protocol. One of the Open specifications team member will contact you shortly.

Regards,
    Sreekanth Nadendla
    Microsoft Windows Open specifications

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 3:10 PM
  • Hi Msosilover

Thanks for contacting Microsoft Support. I have taken ownership of this inquiry and researching for you.

Regards.

Tarun Chopra | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 5:03 PM
  • Hi Msosilover

Regarding this "For one, Windows (sometimes) leaks IPv4 mapped addresses into the CPA, of course these are not in the Route Entry, so the records should be invalid - but the Windows implementation deems them valid."

Can you please send network trace along with additional details on your test environment and ip adresses to my attention (Tarun Chopra ) to , dochelp at microsoft dot com, for further analysis ?

Thanks

Tarun Chopra | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 5:44 PM
  • Resolved - I was comparing Payload of the CPA to the Route Entry instead of the ServiceAddressList of the CPA to the Route Entry.

The Payload is not validated to the Route Entry.

Thanks Tarun Chopra for digging - again.

• Marked as answer by msosilover Tuesday, January 15, 2013 5:53 PM
    Tuesday, January 15, 2013 5:53 PM