none
ADO and "ODBC Driver 11 for SQL Server" driver

Question

• Hi all,

we have a C++ program that uses ADO to connect to various databases. We've successfully been connecting to SQL Server databases using the SQL Server Native Client ODBC drivers. We are now trying to use the "ODBC Driver 11 for SQL Server" driver and I keep getting the following error from ADODB.Connection:

( 0x800a0e7a ) Provider cannot be found. It may not be properly installed.

This is my connection string:

Provider=ODBC Driver 11 for SQL Server;SERVER=MYPC\SQL2014a;Trusted_Connection=Yes;

It works fine if I use SQL Server Native Client 10 or 11.

I can create a DSN using the ODBC Administrator and "ODBC Driver 11 for SQL Server" and do a test connection successfully.

Any suggestions as to why I'm getting the error ?

Thanks,

Anthony.

Friday, May 23, 2014 1:59 AM

Answers

• Found the problem with the token in the connection string. Where "Provider" worked with previous versions, the new driver expects the token "Driver" (not "Provider").

• Marked as answer by Tony461 Friday, June 06, 2014 12:56 AM
    Friday, June 06, 2014 12:55 AM

All replies

• We are now trying to use the "ODBC Driver 11 for SQL Server" driver ..

What's that for a ODBC Provider, a third party one?

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Friday, May 23, 2014 6:20 AM
  • Hi Olaf, sorry for the late response.

That's not a 3rd party one. That's a Microsoft one which gets installed by the SQL Server 2014 install. It can also be downloaded from Microsoft's website.

• Edited by Tony461 Thursday, June 05, 2014 6:22 AM
    Thursday, June 05, 2014 6:20 AM
  • Found the problem with the token in the connection string. Where "Provider" worked with previous versions, the new driver expects the token "Driver" (not "Provider").

• Marked as answer by Tony461 Friday, June 06, 2014 12:56 AM
    Friday, June 06, 2014 12:55 AM