Make sure the application for the file type (.vb) is installed

Question

• I installed VS 2005 Beta 2 on a WinXP pro system (numerous times). It finally installed without erreors. It looks like it is basically working - I can create a new windows project and add items from the toolbox, edit the code etc. If I open an existing project (created on another box) things load properly but I cannot open any forms in designer view (I can open them in code view). When I attempt to open a form in design view I get the following error popup:

=====================
    There is no editor available for 'c:\....\myForm.vb'.
    Make sure the application for the file type (.vb) is installed.
    ====================

Any thought on how to correct this?
    Monday, November 14, 2005 5:30 PM

Answers

All replies

• The following post addressed a similar issue:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=75492&SiteID=1

Maybe it can help you

Luca Dellamore
    Visual Basic Test Team
    Monday, November 14, 2005 6:48 PM
  • Luca;

Thanks for the pointer. I'll try the suggestions there and let you know if any of them solve my peoblem
    Monday, November 14, 2005 9:28 PM
  • Eliminating the signing as mentioned in that other thread seems to have solved the problem. I sure don't understand why?

Thanks - now I can get back to work
    Monday, November 14, 2005 10:30 PM
  • This was a bug that was fixed for the release version. 
    Tuesday, November 15, 2005 9:03 PM
  • I am using vb.net (Visual Studio 2005 version) and get the same message when trying to open a form in designer view.  The message is

=====================
    There is no editor available for 'c:\....\myForm.vb'.
    Make sure the application for the file type (.vb) is installed.
    ====================

I have tried the suggestions in the e-mail trail with no success.  The problem only occurs in the project I am currently working on and it only started today.  Prior to today, I had no problem.  Also if I open previous projects I have no problem.  Seems specific to the current project set-up.  Appreciate any assistance you may have.

Thanks

Derk

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 12:03 AM
  • I have the exact same problem when I tried upgrading my vb2003 project. Can't open any forms in the designer, even new ones. If I created a new project from scratch, no problem, only on an existing 2003 project.

It also can't find any of the existing ActiveX controls & servers. If I go back to vb2003, no problems.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 7:25 PM
  • Hi All,

I haven't done anything to my workstation and all of a sudden I get this error when I tried to open any file in my project. I am using VS 2005 Personal Ed SP1. Please help!!

Thursday, March 15, 2007 3:56 PM
  • ok, it turned out it was a missing COM reference, I removed it and VS 2005 works fine now.
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 4:02 PM
  •  

I also had the same problem and have not been able to user VS2005 forms editor for VB since two days ago. I have MS tech support working on it. What exactly did you do?

Thanks.

Friday, March 16, 2007 3:51 AM
  •  

Hi Bob,

I expanded the References + sign under the project, remove the reference with an exclamation mark, save the project. Exit and re-enter the project and everything works fine. Thanks.

Friday, March 16, 2007 12:55 PM
  • Desculpem-me por escrever em português:

Eu estava com o mesmo problema até que tive a feliz idéia de comparar as propriedades dos forms que o VB abria sem problemas com o form que produzia essa mensagem de erro. Conclusão: Mudei a Build Action para Compile e findou-se o problema.

Veja no link abaixo a figura do passo-a-passo:

http://ptnewa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pawg-Qj4XLOXoIMBGSdXMCynAzOLh6wkrPuDTwDlPzwdaeYPv0YOO9nEt3J5ZAukqWMhTZazC2zEm1O7EJBnxZSB4pefbEIRG/ErroVB.bmp?psid=1

Boa Sorte!

Wednesday, July 07, 2010 5:49 PM
  • Webpage is not working.

Saturday, April 09, 2011 12:06 PM