none
Sharing current SQL Server Database with another computer

Question

• I have already built a SQL Server 2008 R2 database in my Windows 8 laptop. Now I want to share that database with another laptop. Reading as well as Writing to the database should be able from both laptops after sharing. Currently I have saved my database on the default location. How can I make my database to be accessed remotely???
    Thanks!
    Sunday, November 03, 2013 8:21 AM

Answers

• Hello,

If you want other SQL box to access your database and allow it to read/write

1. Create a SQL login in server(sql server) grant it read write access to the database

2.Now make a exception in your firewall for computer which wants to connect to your DB

3. Make sure your browser services are up and running on DB server

4. If SQL server is not present on box which wants to connect ,install sql server management studio type IP of destination server and with login created above try connection to DB

HTH

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Sunday, November 03, 2013 10:30 AM
  • Also, you need to enable remote connections using the SQL Server Configuration tool.  SQL Server will not allow remote connections by default.

Dan Guzman, SQL Server MVP, http://www.dbdelta.com

Sunday, November 03, 2013 10:53 AM

All replies

• Hello,

If you want other SQL box to access your database and allow it to read/write

1. Create a SQL login in server(sql server) grant it read write access to the database

2.Now make a exception in your firewall for computer which wants to connect to your DB

3. Make sure your browser services are up and running on DB server

4. If SQL server is not present on box which wants to connect ,install sql server management studio type IP of destination server and with login created above try connection to DB

HTH

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Sunday, November 03, 2013 10:30 AM
  • Also, you need to enable remote connections using the SQL Server Configuration tool.  SQL Server will not allow remote connections by default.

Dan Guzman, SQL Server MVP, http://www.dbdelta.com

Sunday, November 03, 2013 10:53 AM