none
SyncToy 2.1 Folder Pairs ADD WARNING

General discussion

• Hi everybody,

Actually this is little advice to Developers. Add WARNING if Folder for Pairs are not exist.

Here is my short story why it’s needed.

I have 2 HDDs one is for System another for backup. Three month ago I used script for copy files from one HDD to another. Then found Sync Toy, I used it more than 2 month, until yesterday. Yesterday I came home and I decided to format Back-Up HDD, because it’s just copy of my user profile files on System HDD, I formatted it without any thinking. But all Pairs was in folder Backup. I forgot about it…

After format I run Sync Toy. I got first warning after when about 30% was synchronized. This 30% has disappeared from my PC. I’m happy that most of all it was Software from MSDNAA which I can download again. But was also some important files for me.

So here is my wish: Please add WARNING if Folder for Pairs are not exist on destination disk or path.

================================================================================================

Everything of Genius Is Simple.
    --------------------------------------------------
    http://www.roswebnet.com http://www.silverlightdesign.nl

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 11:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I am sorry for your lost. But about your suggestion, do you mean if one folder pairs' left/right folder lost, once you run SyncToy to do the syncing, you hope SyncToy could give you the warning/prompt for the folder lost? If yes, SyncToy does has such feature. Either run sync through UI or command line. Error info looks like below.

C:\Program Files\SyncToy 2.1>SyncToyCmd.exe -R ss
    Failed to execute folder pair ss. Could not locate folder C:\test\

Thanks,

Ping

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 3:40 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for answering.

I read your message, and try to remember more details on this happening.  First of all I had pair like this:

Left:                                      Right:

C:\Users                             D:\

Name of pair was Backup, action Synchronize.

Steps before I get this error:

The disk D was taken out of system (it was inside PC CASE but not connected with SATA cable to motherboard)

Then it was connected again (of course PC is restarted), letter D was never reserved for another drive, only for this HDD. Then as you know before I just Formatted HDD to make clear backup.(Thanks God  it was quick format)

When I push Run in Sync Toy, I go just look a film, while ST was busy with back up. Later I notice errors but this was not the one that you right.

First what I made was taskmgr en shutdown of ST. Then I notice that most of files are in Recycle Bin. I just restored all items, but for another I used Recuva software to get back last backup from disk D. Most of all I got back, today only found one folder with pictures of my vacations past summer, that was empty. L

So here what I think about why it’s happens:

1.       SyncToy_xxxxxxxxxxx.dat was not exists on disk D.

2.       Disk Formatted

3.       Disk Ejected/disconnected physically.

My meanings about problems and maybe solutions(I know about warning from up):

1.       As it’s so, than I’m disappointed a little bit of it. Why don’t add that destination folder/ SyncToy_xxxxx.dat are not founded in a warning with possibilities to create one?

2.       Ok maybe here is my fault, but it’s sent me to Number 1.

3.       Here may the real problem be. Just a theory: When HDD connected it’s got own newer address in registry, but ST look for old address which wasn’t exists, so it made backup to unknown destination.

For more Information my hardware info:

OS Name            Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Ultimate

Version               6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002

System Type       x64-based PC

RAM                   8,00 GB 

Disk drives         2xSamsungHD501JL ATA Device

SyncToy          2.1(x64)

Thank you,

Andrey

P.S.: Why you don’t add a possibility to pair with Windows Live SkyDrive? It will be safe I think.

Everything of Genius Is Simple.

http://www.roswebnet.com http://www.silverlightdesign.nl

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 10:52 AM
  • I have a similar situation.  I backup to an external drive we will call F:  I had F: synchronized with C: (the action was Echo and I had filtered out some folders on C: that did not need backup.  I also checked ignore hidden files and ignore system files.)

To get a clean backup, I quick formatted the F: drive.  Afterward, when I ran the sync toy job, sync toy reported that all files were already synchronized.  Sync toy should have copied all the files again.  What's up?

Operating system is Windows 7.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 2:58 PM
  • Sorry by dig out this old topic. But I am unable to find a good answer for a simple question:

If we use echo, the left folder being the one for us to be used as de origin of the data, why not, when the right one is lost or empty the sync toy don´t start a fresh sync?

I tryed it here and I got a sync error about the right folder not being found. If I create the folder empty, it run as if there is no change in the folder and nothing is synced. Is it normal berravior? Not to much logic for a echo sync by the way.

Monday, April 25, 2011 5:06 PM