Getting the "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?" question

Question

• My company is developing a program that when it's installed on a Client Windows 7 computer, the user (which is a Standard User, but program was installed by an Administrator) is getting the "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?" question.  This wouldn't be so bad, but the program is forcing a login by the Administrator to allow the program to run.  The message box is showing "To continue, type an administrator password and then click Yes."

I have digitally signed the application hoping that would have eliminated this but still getting the login prompt.

The users could live with the prompt about the confirmation, but why is the administrator's login being required?

If it matters the computer I'm testing this on and getting this result is a Windows 7 Professional 64bit.  The program executable is a compiled VB.Net windows application using VS2008.  The executable itself is compiled for an x86 CPU type due to one 3rd party control we are using which isn't AnyCPU compatible.

Mike...
    Friday, January 22, 2010 9:14 PM

All replies

• Completly depends on your application, if you do things that require elevated security or have specified in your manifest that the app should run as admin the OS will prompt for it.  Microsoft has a toolkit available that helps in testing the application
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 2:39 AM
  • Thank you, I'll look at the toolkit to see if that helps at all.

I'm starting to read the documentation with it, but incase you or someone else might know the cause for this:

The only reason I've seen that we have had to set the "Run this application as an administrator" before is that the application needs to launch another executable.  I thought I may have just found the problem with this because it was being launched through a Shell command.  We have other executable's that were using the Process command to launch them and they worked fine.

But I just changed the way this executable was being launched and it still gives the error:  "The requested operation requires elevation".
    This program is actually an updater in which it will update any files needing to be replaced plus it checks for running processes to make sure the parent program has terminated before it starts it's checks.  The program directory has been set to allow a standard user to update files in that directory.

Do you have any thoughts as to why this program requires the elevated access?  Or is this something I'll figure out in the ACT documentation once I get done reading it all.

Thanks for any help.

Mike...
    Monday, January 25, 2010 9:03 PM