none
Issue Windows 7 - VFP 9.0 SP2 ?

Question

• Hello,

I am using a VFP application (.EXE) for some months on my computer (Win 7).

Some days ago this application will not run anymore on this pc.

When I launch the application I get the menu and the screen but only for about 7 seconds.

After this time (7 sec) the application closes without doing anything.

-> no viruses on pc

-> the application runs already some years on this pc

-> made a reinstall of VFP 9.0 and SP 2

-> no error message: screen closes without giving any message

Does anyone knows this behavior? solution?

Regards,

Yves

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 7:05 PM

Answers

All replies

• The VFP application compiled to EXE does not use VFP 9 but the Run-time module. The VFP 9 reinstallation does not affect Run-time modules placed in App folder. So I would recommend to copy the "fresh" Run-time into the application folder.

Did you write the application? If yes then execute it under debugger with SET DOHISTORY ON and you'll see what's happening. If this application is not yours then you have to ask the app author for help.

Does the app exit when you are selecting options from menu etc.?

This behavior is not obvious for Visual FoxPro but it is easy to code for it.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 10:23 PM
  • Pavel,

when i run the application in the development environment of VFP then everything goes fine.

I even have copied the DBF files (from the working directory) into the development directory of VFP to be sure that it has nothing to do with a corrupted data file.

However when I compile the program to a 32 bit exe and copy this EXE in the working directory, then the program exits after +- 10 sec.  The menu bar is shown on the screen and I even can work with the program but after that period of +-10 sec the application exits without giving any message of warning.

You have to know that I use this application al since a few years (under win xp) and now already some time under win 7.

never had a problem with it, until now ....

Regards,

Yves

Friday, November 22, 2013 9:16 PM
  • What Run-time version uses this application? Exact number would tell something.

Did you try opposite way i.e. copying development version of VFP to your production environment and test the app?

Does the app uses timers? Are you sure these timers are not fired?

What error handling uses this app?

Friday, November 22, 2013 11:00 PM
  • Pavel,

i have copied following files in the working directory:

21/02/2003  06:42           348.160 msvcr71.dll
    13/12/2004  15:03         4.710.400 vfp9r.dll
    13/12/2004  13:36         1.429.504 VFP9RENU.DLL
    13/12/2004  15:04         3.878.912 vfp9t.dll

but without any result.

The funny thing is that the application works 100% when launching in the development environment.

I do not use any timer.

I have put a standard "ON ERROR DO SHOW_ERR WITH PROGRAM(), ERROR(), MESSAGE(), LINENO()" but this gives no error message at all.

Other suggestions?

Regards,

Yves

Saturday, November 30, 2013 7:04 PM
  • Above files belong to VFP 9 SP0. You should copy files related to VFP 9 SP2.  Run-time files for VFP9 SP2 HotFix3 are dated Apr 3, 2009 (VFP9RENU is older because it has no hot fixes). Version number is 9.00.0000.7423.

You may place   WAIT WINDOW VERSION(1)  command at the first line of your code to see what run-time version are you executing.

VFP 9 SP2 allows to log all executed lines by SET COVERAGE TO so it could help to identify what's going on. Also some antivirus software is able to exit non-trusted application.

Sunday, December 01, 2013 12:59 AM
  • Pavel,

I have found the 'problem'.

It was my anti4us software (AVAST) that apparently blocked the application.

I have added my application to the exception list of AVAST and it works.

Thanks for your help because I really had any clue where to start looking.

Last question. Where can I find the 'VFP9 SP2 HotFix3' files?

I thought I had the latest files but apparently it's not the case.

I have VFP9.0 SP2 version 09.00.0000.5815.

Regards,

Yves

Sunday, December 01, 2013 11:01 AM
  • This is the latest fix, apply sp2 then this one. Installer will extract files for you to copy to destination folders. ( see readme inside )

http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/KB968409/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=2445

Marco

Marco Plaza

Sunday, December 01, 2013 2:36 PM
  • All official VFP 9 SP2 hotfixes are listed here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vsdata/archive/2009/04/09/hotfixes-for-visual-foxpro-9-0-sp2-are-now-available-for-download-on-codegallery.aspx

Some unofficial hotfixes are here: http://www.baiyujia.com/f_download.asp (the quality and legality of this source is not guaranteed but it seems these China guys know FoxPro very well)

Sunday, December 01, 2013 3:47 PM