none
Project Server 2010 - Assignment % Work Complete from Status Update does not Task % Complete

Question

• Hello,

When Assignment % Work Complete is changed through a PWA status update, the Task % Complete is not updated. The project option "Updating Task status updates resource status" is set. When I update Assignment % Work Complete in Project Pro, Task % Complete gets updated, so it looks like the server-side scheduling engine is handling this differently.

Any insights into this problem will help.

Thanks,

Erik

Erik RHS

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 5:35 PM

All replies

• Erik RHS --

After accepting task updates, are you looking at the task % Complete value in the Project Center in PWA or in the Microsoft Project 2010 desktop application?  If you are using PWA, you are correct that the server-side scheduling engine does not calculate the task % Complete.  This is why you should always open your updated project in the Microsoft Project 2010 desktop application so that you can see the complete information on what was updated from the task updates you approved from your team members.  In my opinion, the project interface in PWA has too many limitations, and because of this I never use it.  This is just one more limitation.  Hope this helps.

<p>Dale A. Howard [MVP<span>]</span><br/> </p>

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 7:02 PM
  • Hi Dale,

Thanks for the quick reply! The updates were accepted, saved and published via a rule. I opened the project in Project Pro and the task % complete had not been updated. At this point, it looks like it's too late as even the client scheduling engine will not calc the task % complete. If I understand, the only way to make this work is to 1) Not use auto-acceptance rules and 2) Accept all status updates in Project Pro instead of the PWA Approval Center. True?

Cheers,

Erik

Erik RHS

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 8:37 PM
  • Eric --

If you open the project in Microsoft Project 2010, and then press the F9 function key to recalculate the project, do the task % Complete values get update for the tasks on which you accepted task updates?  Regarding your first question, I personally do not like Rules, and do not use them.  The reason is because you, the PM, are the only barrier standing between your project and potential mistakes in the task updates submitted by your team members.  If you have to manually approve task updates, then you have a chance of spotting dirty date updates and rejecting them.  If you use Rules, the updates with dirty data will get approved automatically.  However, I do not believe that this is why the % Complete values are out of sync.

Regarding your second question, you cannot accept task updates in the Microsoft Project 2010 desktop application.  You must navigate to the Approval Center page in PWA and then approve the updates.  While doing this, you must keep your enterprise project closed.  After accepting the updates, you can open the project and see the impact of the updates.

Hope this helps.

<p>Dale A. Howard [MVP<span>]</span><br/> </p>

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 9:28 PM
  • Dale,

Correct, pressing F9 does not cause the work % complete to affect the task % complete. It appears that the client engine doesn't think the task needs to be recalculated. If I manually update the assignment % work complete, it updates the task % work complete and the task % complete. I appreciate your help in verifying what I am seeing. I am trying to come up with a strategy for using status updates that makes it simple for the project manager, but it appears that they will have to manually update the projects to get the task % complete to be correct.

Cheers,

Erik

Erik RHS

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 11:13 PM