none
Applying Visual Studio 2012 Update 1 / 2 / 3 unusable over RDP connection due to animations of UI

Question

• Tearing my hair out would be less painless than trying to apply Update 1 to Visual Studio 2012 over a remote desktop connection, let alone doing it for 20 workstations.

This is mostly due to the animations - which (while nice and pretty) means that to simply get the first screen rendered (where you tick on the "I Agree" and Install button) takes nearly 1 minute just to render over the wire as it is animated.

Just to get the "INSTALL" button clicked along with the elevation dialog is equally difficult to do.

Though the link speed  is using ADSL, it is normally quite usable for RDP.

Please disable the animations when running the update UI over a RDP session.

Thanks,
    Jaans

• Edited by Jaans Friday, July 05, 2013 1:56 AM Updated for VS2012 Update 3
    Monday, February 04, 2013 6:29 AM

All replies

• Hi Jaans,

Thanks for your post.

I'm trying to involve some experts on this issue.

Regards,

Barry Wang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 6:13 AM
  • Hi, I think the network speed here is a bottleneck. What if you connect your remote workstation to a monitor and you connect to it directly?  Normally to mitigate network traffic bottleneck, I will adjust the Colors setting in Remote Connection dialog, use lowest colors setting.

Does that fix your issue?

thanks.

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 12:23 PM
  • Hi

Yes, obviously you need more bandwidth to be able to cope with animations over an RDP session. Heck with enough bandwidth and little latency you could stream video.

This is exactly the point, the fancy new VS installer is using so much animations (akin to video) that it  suddenly makes remote administration of these updates over RDP no longer possible. 

Regarding the RDP setup: We are running the sessions with 8-bit colour (the lowest), and turn off all the other bandwidth stealers (e.g. Audio).

If you've worked with an RDP connection of slow ADSL links (ie. 512kbps or less) you would know how that any animation / video makes it terribly slow if you don't have enough bandwidth. Not every body has 1st world ADSL connections with both up and downlinks in excess of 1Mbits. Try and do on a server in South Africa all the way from Australia.

Many WPF developers run into the same gotcha, not realising that their applications are often used over RDP.

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 12:43 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the delay. When I report the feedback to product team, I need to know which operating system do you install VS update to? I ask because people need to set up a reproduce environment.

thanks.

Monday, February 18, 2013 2:26 AM
  • Hi

We're using v7.1 of the RDP protocol between the client and server.

Server (where the VS Update is applied) OS:
    Windows 7 Enterprise SP1, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1

Clients OS:
    Windows 7 Enterprise SP1, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, Windows 8.

Hope that helps

Monday, February 18, 2013 2:58 AM
  • Hi Jaans,

The report link is here: http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/779667/unable-to-install-vs-2012-update1-through-remote-desktop#details

In Remote desktop options, Experience tab, have you set connectivity speed to 256kbps or lower?

Please let me know if you get it working this way, I can reactivate if necessary.

thanks.

Monday, March 04, 2013 9:53 AM
  • Hi

No, we do not specifically set the connectivity speed, so that doesn't fix the issue.

However, the actual line speed is likely less than 256kbps with at least a 500ms latency. Again, standard remote desktop usage is fine as I can use other applications (Word, Excel, Notepad, MMC consoles, Explorer, etc.) with out issue, etc.

J

Monday, March 04, 2013 10:45 AM
  • Here we go again. Visual Studio 2012 Update 3 has the same issue. This time I made a video recording just to show how utterly unusable it is over a slow RDP link.

Video link here

Also noticed the Connect issue (http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/779667) was closed, with a ridiculous comment about setting the RDP Client settings appropriately. I know about it - it's the first thing we do when using RDP because the bandwidth has such high latency. Please re-open the issue.

I'll state it again, the RDP session is normally slow yes, but it's workable with everything else. So much so we can actually use it to run applications, use Visual Studio 2012 to do some coding or builds. It's just when trying to apply the Visual Studio 2012 updates that it's nigh impossible to use, especially when you have many to update. Look at the video and you'll see how much the animations is screwing around - it takes around 4 minutes just to get the installation going!!!

FYI: We use the "Modem 56 kbps" experience settings and other items turned off in order to make it even more efficient. We also disable all audio playback and use 8-bit color depth to further reduce bandwidth.

Friday, July 05, 2013 1:49 AM