none
Customizing my tasks dashboard

Question

• Hi,

I would like to create a custom view in my tasks list dashboard aka My Sites -> Tasks. As of now it has four views: RecentlyAssigned, Highlights, AllTasks and CompletedTasks. I need another view filtered by specific task content type.

As far as I know it's created by using multiple web part pages with TaskListWebPart. What I cannot figure out is how should I create another page with this web part as it seems javascript that is responsible for rendering these lists is somewhat limited only to those four specific cases.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thursday, September 12, 2013 2:09 PM

Answers

• Hi Valdas,

regarding changing the default myTask, perhaps you can check with our advisory engineer for this issue.

because my limited tool in this forum support, perhaps i may not able to do much to edit or change the webpart itself to a create/custom webpart in my environment.

but as i know, the webpart that can filter most probably need to query process to filter which one that need to be filter.

Regards,
    Aries
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, September 27, 2013 8:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your question.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.

Best Regards

Dennis Guo
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 6:11 AM
  • Hi Valdas,

may i know more detail about this?

is there any error code regarding this?

http://radutut.wordpress.com/2013/02/24/my-tasks-web-part-in-sharepoint-2013/

Regards,
    Aries

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 12:40 PM
  • Hi,

Currently we're researching the possibilities so I got no code to share.

We would like to create an additional view under My Sites -> Tasks so that user would be able to view tasks of specific content type only e.g. Document Review Task. Looking at TaskListType enumeration we see that there is Custom option, yet it's not clear how to leverage it. Based on what we found via .net reflector web part itself does not contain any logic related to task querying so we're guessing it's done by javascript which is not easy to follow.

Is it possible achieve such customization? If yes, then how?

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 2:27 PM
  • Hi Valdas,

thank you for your reply,

if i may ask do workflow for certain of content type are feasible to your environment?

http://office.microsoft.com/en-in/sharepoint-server-help/create-or-customize-a-site-content-type-HA010378138.aspx

i mean, you may add a content type to a workflow, then when the workflow is assigned to the user, the user may see it at the my tasks.

Regards,
    Aries

Thursday, September 19, 2013 8:57 AM
  • Hi,

That's not what we're looking for. I'll try to provide more details.

When a user/users prepare some sort of document they create a Team site that contains couple of lists including Tasks list. We have modified this Task list to contain several types of tasks aka content types e.g. Task, Review Task, Signing Task. Some task types like Signing Task has custom actions assigned to them e.g. Sign And Complete.

Now our users sees that it's inconvenient for them to go through all sites to sign all the documents. Instead they would like to be able to view all the Signing tasks under My Sites.

Since My Sites already provide aggregated view of users tasks we think it would be best to create a seperate view(page) that is filtered by Signing Task content type so that users could simply open a this view, select couple of tasks and click Sign And Complete action as mentioned earlier making their life a bit easier :)

Current Tasks list under My Sites is not really a list so we don't have same option to create view with specific query. Our guess is that we need to customize the TaskListWebPart and ViewSelector control and put them on a new web part page. What we can't understand is how should we customize TaskListWebPart to be able to apply required query/filter.

I'll try to post couple of screens later to show what we would like to achieve.

Thursday, September 19, 2013 10:23 AM
  • Hi Valdas,

i think i saw this similar to your need:

http://raquelalineblog.wordpress.com/2013/05/26/sharepoint-2013-custom-workflow-action-singletask-with-custom-content-type/

http://sp2013.blogspot.in/2012/07/mysite.html

so by opening the task list, user able to see the task that they listed for, since its a workflow, perhaps need more effort to do some more clicks.

Regards,
    Aries

Thursday, September 19, 2013 10:37 AM
  • This is what we have by default:

And this is what we would like to have:

Thursday, September 19, 2013 10:39 AM
  • Hi Valdas,

perhaps you may not add the tasks at the my tasks,

but you can add a link to the task app, then you can filter them as you need.

then it will linked to the task app for your signing with the filter:

Regards,
    Aries

Friday, September 20, 2013 7:53 AM
  • Hi,

We tried the workflow approach but unless we're doing something wrong it does not solve our problem since it's pretty much the same as creating task via UI which is eventualy aggregated to My Tasks list with no way to filter by either content type or workflow.

Task app is also not an options since it's simply a task list which does not aggregate task from other sites.

We also thought that maybe we could leverage inline filter that is present in My Tasks web part to provide managed property filter like you can do with a regular list but it does not work. Infact you can't filter using any property like Title:Test. This kind of implementation usually is considered as a bad practice cause control does not provide any visual clue that it's somehow different than the one you find on a regular list.

I'm guessing we'll have to resort to something like content query web part.

Friday, September 20, 2013 9:48 AM
  • Hi,

We finally got a solution that's going to do the job just fine.

Instead of trying to figure out what web part to use and how should we customize it to achieve what we need we decided that we would create an external list with sharepoint search as its data source. This gives as the standard look and feel of a list and allows as to add required custom actions.

While it's not entirely what we wanted it's still closest thing we could come up with.

If anyone has any knowledge as to how to customize TaskListWebPart to apply certain filtering that is not available by default I would still like to hear it :)

Monday, September 23, 2013 9:59 AM
  • Hi Valdas,

as i know content query webpart have this kind of filter,

for the method, i heard you can use query string for this, but i havent try this yet, perhaps you can take a look:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-server-help/connect-a-query-string-url-filter-web-part-to-another-web-part-HA010250999.aspx

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5c3039d8-d5de-47be-a081-d5117ca4ec25/filtering-a-business-list-webpart-on-pagequerystring

because i have limited tools to do this customization process, i may suggest you to open an advisory case to us, so we can help regarding this customization for you.

Regards,
    Aries

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 2:25 AM
  • Hi,

My Tasks web part does not support Query String Url Filter web part, least I can't find a way how to connect them. And based on what I managed to find out it only usefull with List View web parts which My Tasks web part technically is not.

Since we're not going to use regular list for this I don't see a use for Query String Url filter web part just yet.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 6:01 AM
  • Hi Valdas,

we tried in our lab box,

perhaps the result may not as the same with you want, but quite similar.

so this my task, should be a webpart that inside of the webpart goes to task list.

what we can do is to do this:

1. create a view that filter this list, by create or add the content type, such as, not_sign

2. because the task webpart will follow the settings to list settings and view only for the task that is based on the content type.

if should this workaround not applicable in your environment, it seems that you may need to open an advisory case to us, so that we may able to help with your customization.

Regards,
    Aries

Friday, September 27, 2013 7:13 AM
  • Hi,

I assume you mean using something like ListViewByQuery inside of a web part to retrieve data from a task list that's filtered by content type? Yea this could be an option but we need to retrieve tasks from all sites which is not possible with ListViewByQuery web part since it only allows one list to be set.

We're more interested as to how to customize standard sharepoint My Tasks web part (TaskListWebPart class) instead of looking for workarounds since we already got one we feel is acceptable.

Friday, September 27, 2013 7:59 AM
  • Hi Valdas,

regarding changing the default myTask, perhaps you can check with our advisory engineer for this issue.

because my limited tool in this forum support, perhaps i may not able to do much to edit or change the webpart itself to a create/custom webpart in my environment.

but as i know, the webpart that can filter most probably need to query process to filter which one that need to be filter.

Regards,
    Aries

Friday, September 27, 2013 8:54 AM