none
How does @@TRANCOUNT behave with escalated distributed transactions?

Question

• I understand that an explicit declaration of a distributed transaction (BEGIN DISTRIBUTED TRANSACTION) does not change the @@TRANCOUNT return value at all (and correct me if I'm wrong,  because I was unable to test it by myself due to the lack of MS DTC in my testing platform). But I'm concerned about what could possibly happen with this value when a normal, local transaction, automatically escalates to a distributed one because of a command referring to an external database.

Any idea?

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 2:31 AM

All replies

• Hi John,

As far as I know, Distributed transactions will not affect @@TRANCOUNT values. MSDN document states:

The BEGIN TRANSACTION statement increments @@TRANCOUNT by 1. ROLLBACK TRANSACTION decrements @@TRANCOUNT to 0, except for ROLLBACK TRANSACTION savepoint_name, which does not affect @@TRANCOUNT. COMMIT TRANSACTION or COMMIT WORK decrement @@TRANCOUNT by 1.

For more detail information, you can refer to the following link:

@@TRANCOUNT (Transact-SQL)
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187967.aspx

Allen Li
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, July 26, 2013 2:01 AM
  • Ok, thanks!

Anyway, my question was a bit different. Imagine this scenario. I begin a local transaction:

BEGIN TRAN

At this point, @@TRANCOUNT value equals 1. That I know.

But now, imagine I do something like this:

INSERT INTO RemoteServer.RemoteDB.RemoteSchema.RemoteDB (RemoteColumnName) VALUES (@RemoteValue)

The transaction becomes a distributed one.

How much is the @@TRANCOUNT RETURN VALUE at this point?

That is the question. Sorry if I wasn't explicit enough.

Friday, July 26, 2013 2:45 AM