CTP2 Question: using SqlSyncScopeProvisioning with SQL 2008 Change Tracking

Question

• I'm uploading incremental data changes from SQL Compact 3.5 client to SQL Server 2008 w/change tracking enabled. It was recommended in the CTP2 documentation to use the SqlSyncProvider and SqlCeSyncProvider for this scenario.

I'm confused with the code sample listed because it uses the SqlSyncScopeProvisioning that when run adds additional change tracking tables, which seems redundant with internal SQL Server 2008 change tracking -- or are they complimentary of each other?

If the server using change tracking doesn't have to be provisioned, how do I configure the SqlSyncProvider and SqlCeSyncProvider to use SQL Server 2008 Change tracking?

• Edited by 10e Thursday, June 11, 2009 12:15 AM typo
    • Moved by Max Wang_Chinasoft Wednesday, April 20, 2011 12:13 AM Forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 12:13 AM

Answers

• Unfortunately, SqlSyncProvider does not support SQL Server integrated change tracking at this time. SqlSyncProvider requires the storage of additional metadata due to it's added capabilities such as the ability to sync between two clients as well as with the server.  Instead, you should use a custom approach to change tracking and as you mentioned, we have made this a lot easier to do with the scope provisioning class insomuch that you just point it at the server and it adds all of the triggers and side-tables automatically.  We are looking at adding integrated change tracking support in a subsequent release.

Regards,

Sean Kelley
    Program Manager
    Microsoft

• Marked as answer by 10e Thursday, June 11, 2009 11:32 PM
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 11:30 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately, SqlSyncProvider does not support SQL Server integrated change tracking at this time. SqlSyncProvider requires the storage of additional metadata due to it's added capabilities such as the ability to sync between two clients as well as with the server.  Instead, you should use a custom approach to change tracking and as you mentioned, we have made this a lot easier to do with the scope provisioning class insomuch that you just point it at the server and it adds all of the triggers and side-tables automatically.  We are looking at adding integrated change tracking support in a subsequent release.

Regards,

Sean Kelley
    Program Manager
    Microsoft

• Marked as answer by 10e Thursday, June 11, 2009 11:32 PM
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 11:30 PM
  • Will this be implemented by the final release?

Thursday, June 18, 2009 3:24 PM
  • hi Sean_kelly,

Is the CTP2 released able to track the Data conflict at client side also?
     the previous vesrion is only able to track it in server side only..

please update ....

Monday, July 27, 2009 6:52 AM
  • Will this be implemented by the final release?

I am also interested in that point !
    Will SqlSyncProvider support SQL Server integrated change tracking by the release ?

Guim7
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 3:20 PM
  • Does anyone have a time table as to when this feature will be supported?   Current release of 2.0 it seems it still does not support this functionality. 
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 4:24 PM
  • I really need an example of how to build a SqlSyncProvider that supports Sql 2008 Change Tracking.

The existing examples only work with the DbServerSyncProvider and are inadequate for our scenario. We need to sync a Sql 2008 Express with a Sql 2008 Server, with change tracking enabled.

I'm still new to Sync Fx, but would it be possible to write such a provider based on the DbSyncProvider class?

Friday, December 18, 2009 1:10 PM