Vanishing warnings

Question

• There is a strange behaviour with my VS 2010:

Sometimes I get a bunch of valid warnings when I build my solution.

When I build the solution again, all warnings are gone!

It does not matter, if I choose "build", "rebuild" or "clean" and build again.

I'd like to reproduce all these warnings.

I'd really like to know, what is influencing this behaviour and how I can control the build, that all warnings are shown.

But until now, all my effort to do this did not change anything.

Is there anybody, who knows how to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Steffen.

Friday, March 02, 2012 10:05 AM

All replies

• Sometimes a bunch of warnings appear when first loading a Solution and they will go away over time as Visual Studio background parses everything in the solution and loads all the references info memory.

When using Build only the warnings of the projects being built will show up, if you're building a stand alone project, you'll only get the warnings for that specific project.

When you do rebuild all (by default under ctrl-shift-b) Visual Studio will rebuild all projects in the solution, that should bring up all the warnings for all the projects again.

My blog: blog.jessehouwing.nl

Friday, March 02, 2012 11:13 AM
  • Hi Jesse,

thanks for your answer!

I was talking of building a solution that contains >10 projects and most time I get no warnings at all.

But sometimes I get a large list of warnings (I cannot reproduce, what to do to show these warnings). I looked through all the warnings and, unfortunately, all the warnings are valid and point to bad code! Regarding your answer, I tried also build one of the projects alone but I also couldn't get any warnings!

I think it is some kind of seldom problem that for most environments doesn't occur, so from your description I think you might not be able to reproduce it. I also searched for a while in the web for a solultion but I didn't find any. (Not even a page that discuss this problem).

Maybe someone else has detected this problem and can give me any feedback?

Steffen.

Friday, March 02, 2012 12:09 PM
  • When you see them next time, can you copy/paste some of them so we can see what the reason for these warnings might be? 

My blog: blog.jessehouwing.nl

Friday, March 02, 2012 1:35 PM
  • Hi Steffen,

I agree with Jesse’s suggestion, if you want to know why you get the warnings, you can share us the detailed warnings messages, I think we will get the useful information from them.

Have a nice day,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, March 05, 2012 7:39 AM