none
Intellisense (Javascript) not working correctly after upgrading from VS2012 to VS2013 ***HELP***

Question

• Hi,

The Intellisense is not working for Javascript in the HTML client after upgrading from VS2012 to VS2013.

Tried Everything but nothing works. The VB has Intellisense but all Child nodes in Javascript will not work.

You can see, for example "Myapp" but every node under Myapp have a triangle.

Pleace HELP. It's impossible to write Javascipt without the Intellisense.

Regards

Sven

Sven Elm

Friday, January 10, 2014 6:48 AM

Answers

• Hi again,

I found the issue.

My msls.js was missing from my Project.

Now it's working perfect with Intellisense!!!!!!

Yeah. Now I'm happy again and thanks for pointing me to the right direction.

Many, many thanks

Sven

Sven Elm

• Marked as answer by Sven Elm Thursday, January 23, 2014 7:47 PM
    Thursday, January 23, 2014 7:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

First thing to try is Tools/Import and Export settings/Reset all settings/Next/No, just reset settings...etc.

Then close VS and try again.

Hope it helps!

Ian

Ian Mac

Saturday, January 11, 2014 1:46 PM
  • H,

Thanks but I have tried that before.

The problem is that the first node works like myapp but the completion (what comes next) only displays a yellow triangle.

I have another converted Project that works so the problem must be in the Project, not in VS.

Can be some other script ?

Any other thoughts?

Regards

Sven

Sven Elm

• Edited by Sven Elm Saturday, January 11, 2014 2:20 PM
    Saturday, January 11, 2014 1:59 PM
  • Anyone?

Sven Elm

Monday, January 13, 2014 10:31 PM
  • Hi Sven,

I'm in the same situation as you.  Upgraded a LightSwitch project after moving from Visual Studio 2012 to 2013 and all I see for JavaScript files are those warning icons saying "Intellisense was unable to determine an accurate completion list for this expression.  The provided list contains all identifiers in the file." Haven't found any solutions yet.

Please share if you make any progress!

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 10:16 PM
  • Hi,

I will. Using Resharper right now. Better then nothing. Get some kind of IntelliSense in Javascript.

Have been investigating this for a long time now with no result and no feedback from the LS team.

I'm having Another Project upgraded the same way that works. This makes it even more strange.

It can be another scriptfile messing it up or some bad code inside the project infecting the Intellisense.

Just guessing.

Regards

Sven

Sven Elm

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 6:26 AM
  • Hi Sven

According to your description above, Intellisense doesn't work on your side. First make sure you've checked the 'Show completion list after a character is typed' in TOOLS -> Options -> Text Editor -> C# -> IntelliSense.

If it's already checked, try by resetting the user settings.

If you need to restore default settings for your Visual Studio IDE, you can do the following

Open Visual Studio Command Prompt and enter the following command.

>devenv /ResetSettings

If it still has same issue, please let me know.

Best regards

Angie

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 6:43 AM
  • Hi Tried all those things before with no luck. Must be something else. It's only one project that fails. Sven

Sven Elm

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 5:58 PM
  • Hi Sven,

It sounds like you may be having a somewhat unique issue with your project if it is only a single project that fails. We can start trying to isolate where the problem occurs if you want to follow through some steps with me.

First question: is it broken everywhere in the project or just in a particular code entry point? I think you mentioned that "myapp" shows up in the initial list but then nothing appears on the "myapp" object when you try to see its members?

I'll assume the answer to this question is that it is broken everywhere. So the next step would be to see if intellisense is broken for the built-in libraries. Expand the Scripts folder in the server project and open the unminified msls script. Scroll to the end of the file and see what happens if you type "msls." (with the dot). Does it show a completion list? What about if you type "msls.application."?

If this works, try showing all files in the HTMLClient project, expand GeneratedArtifacts and open data.js. Do the same experiment (scroll to the end of the file) except try "myapp." and see if it shows all the members created by that file. You should see the names of all of your entities appearing.

Let's start with these steps and I'll figure out how to proceed once you let me know how this goes.

Visual Studio LightSwitch Team

Thursday, January 23, 2014 5:20 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks.

First thing. I have no script folder in Server Project. Am I missing something?

Second;

When trying myapp. in data.js there is no completion, just a yellow warning sign.

Tried the same in the other Projects and here I can see the completion under data.js.

Help!

Sven

Sven Elm

Thursday, January 23, 2014 6:15 PM
  • Sorry - my mistake. The Scripts folder is also in the HTMLClient project.

How large is your project in this case? How many entities do you have in data.js?

Thursday, January 23, 2014 6:31 PM
  • Hi,

About 700 enties totals  in 40 tables

Sven Elm

Thursday, January 23, 2014 6:44 PM
  • Ok, this is likely where the issue lies. The JavaScript intellisense engine actually executes the code in some form at design time to determine the shapes of all the objects and thus what can show in the completion lists. When a file is big (and your data.js must be quite large with 700 entities and 40 tables), they hit a maximum execution time threshold and abort the execution. This is necessary to ensure intellisense does not hang if the code they execute gets into an infinite loop.

Unfortunately there is no simple solution to this problem. I would suggest that if possible, you reduce the number of entities and tables in your application by only attaching to those that you are actually using.

Thursday, January 23, 2014 6:49 PM
  • Ok,

The other Project that works has 600 entities in 48 tables.

It's working great with IntelliSense.

The diffrense is that I have activated the 4 new createdby, created,, modifiedby and modified in most of the tables in the Project with problems.

Cannot see that size could be the issue here, but I might be wrong.

Any other thoughts?

Are there going to be better Intellisense in the future because I thing thera are many Project out there thats bigger then mine :)

Sven

Sven Elm

Thursday, January 23, 2014 7:02 PM
  • Hi again,

I found the issue.

My msls.js was missing from my Project.

Now it's working perfect with Intellisense!!!!!!

Yeah. Now I'm happy again and thanks for pointing me to the right direction.

Many, many thanks

Sven

Sven Elm

• Marked as answer by Sven Elm Thursday, January 23, 2014 7:47 PM
    Thursday, January 23, 2014 7:47 PM
  • Check if you miss the msls.js under scripts?

Sven

Sven Elm

Thursday, January 23, 2014 7:48 PM
  • Any way of getting the Intellisense back for screen & contentItem?  I have project with this problem, although myapp still has accurate Intellisense completion.

Friday, January 24, 2014 12:20 AM
  • Hi Sven,

I have msls-2.0.0.js, msls-2.0.0.min.js and msls-2.0.0-vsdoc.js.  Should there also be msls.js?  Is that what was missing in your Scripts folder?

Friday, January 24, 2014 7:55 AM
  • Hi,

Yes.

Put the msls.js back and it works!

Sven

Sven Elm

Friday, January 24, 2014 12:26 PM
  • I had the same problem too.

Intellisense worked, but not for the enities and their tables.

Now it works after putting the msls.js back.

Sven

Sven Elm

Friday, January 24, 2014 12:28 PM
  • Hi Sven,

I've never seen the msls.js file, only the versioned files as mentioned above (msls-2.0.0.js).  Where can I find this?

Friday, January 24, 2014 12:49 PM
  • Hi,

Yeah. I Think due to a instal/uninstall of a Nuget my msls.js was lost or maby the update from 2012 to 2013.

I have a fix for you.

Create a new html Project.

In the new script folder, locate the msls.js and make a copy of it.

right click the script folder in your "not working Intellisense Project"

Click on "open folder in file Explorer". Paste the js file in the new script folder.

Build your solution.

Now it works

Sven Elm

• Edited by Sven Elm Friday, January 24, 2014 3:39 PM
    Friday, January 24, 2014 2:24 PM
  • I agree, only version-specific msls JavaScript files are in the solution directory, there is no generic msls.js to be found.
    Friday, January 24, 2014 5:31 PM
  • Great!  That fixed things for me too!  Thanks for your help.

Saturday, January 25, 2014 11:41 PM