none
Failed software update returns error code 0x87D00668

Question

• We are using Secunia CSI to create and publish 3rd party software update packages to SCCM 2012.  I have one client computer running Windows 7 Pro x64 that is having a problem with one update.  When the user tries to install the Adobe Reader update in Software Center it fails and returns the following error.

The software change returned error code 0x87D00668(-2016410008).

I haven't been able to find any information on this error code.  I was just wondering if anyone else has encountered this error and might have any information on it??

Friday, July 06, 2012 5:39 PM

Answers

All replies

• Error code 0x87D00668 means "Software update still detected as actionable after being applied".   In other words, it appears that even after the software update was applied to the system, it did not satisfy the conditions for making the system appear as "patched".

This question should be posted in the "Security and Compliance" forum.

Monday, July 09, 2012 5:36 PM
  • Has there been any update on this? I've noticed this when deploying Forefront updates using ConfigMgr 2012. It looks like all clients have updated, so that's nice, but everything shows error 0x87D00668. I've not yet deployed other types of updates in my environment as we're still early in a testing phase, but that isn't the best sign.
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 4:26 PM
  • Yes, I know this is an old post but I’m trying to clean up old posts.

Did you figure this out?

http://www.enhansoft.com/

Sunday, December 30, 2012 4:37 PM
  • Since there have been no other people attempting to answer this question, At this point I would suggest contact Microsoft Support (CSS) directly for support.

http://www.enhansoft.com/

Saturday, June 15, 2013 2:44 PM
  • Error code 0x87D00668 means "Software update still detected as actionable after being applied".   In other words, it appears that even after the software update was applied to the system, it did not satisfy the conditions for making the system appear as "patched".

This question should be posted in the "Security and Compliance" forum.

2 years later and this still appears to be an issue.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 6:42 AM
  • 2 years later and this still appears to be an issue.

Could you add some details please?

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 6:55 AM
  • I'm encountering this exact issue.  I have two security updates that are indeed installed (according to Windows Update, the Windows Update log, and Add/remove programs), yet Software Center shows "failed" and with that exact same error.

I would love some help with this if possible and I'll happily provide more detail as needed.

SCCM 2012, client is Server 2003 R2, updates are KB2604092 and KB2729450.  I was able to get them to install successfully by using Windows Update. I've reinstalled client but am still getting this error.

TIA

Tuesday, July 08, 2014 11:23 PM
  • Do the log say why it was still detected?

Garth Jones | My blogs: Enhansoft and Old Blog site | Twitter: @GarthMJ

Wednesday, July 09, 2014 12:17 AM
  • I've been all through the logs and can't find the problem. Specifically which log should I look in and what do I look for?

EDIT: I just uninstalled the updates manually, rebooted, checked the software center, updates showed failed, reinstalled the updates via Windows Update, the updates installed successfully again (add/remove programs, windows update log) yet software center shows the same error message: The software change returned error code 0x87D00668(-2016410008).

Ccmexec log showing this after the above attempt: <![LOG[CancelTask failed with error 87d00215]LOG]!><time="17:29:51.252+420" date="07-08-2014" component="CcmExec" context="" type="2" thread="5416" file="timertask.h:162">

• Edited by DavidJB Wednesday, July 09, 2014 6:50 PM
    Wednesday, July 09, 2014 12:27 AM
  • Ccmexec log showing this after the above attempt: <![LOG[CancelTask failed with error 87d00215]LOG]!><time="17:29:51.252+420" date="07-08-2014" component="CcmExec" context="" type="2" thread="5416" file="timertask.h:162">

0x87d00215 is "item not found".

Have you confirm it is on the DP?

Have you check the subnet mask of your PCs?

How are your boundaries configured?

Wednesday, July 09, 2014 12:22 PM
  • The item it's referring to in that error would seem to be the task that can't be found. No?

The issue that needs to be addressed is that the updates aren't needed - they are installed on the server. I've installed the updates manually, rebooted, Software Center should not even be reporting that the updates need to be installed.  And back to the second post above, "Software update still detected as actionable after being applied" seems to be saying that it DOES see that the patch is installed.  The question is then, why is it still "actionable"?

Thanks

Wednesday, July 09, 2014 4:36 PM
  • The item it's referring to in that error would seem to be the task that can't be found. No?

The issue that needs to be addressed is that the updates aren't needed - they are installed on the server. I've installed the updates manually, rebooted, Software Center should not even be reporting that the updates need to be installed.  And back to the second post above, "Software update still detected as actionable after being applied" seems to be saying that it DOES see that the patch is installed.  The question is then, why is it still "actionable"?

Thanks

Why do you think that they are not needed? Have you force CM to scan again for SU? Are they show as being applied in CM12? What does the Windowsupdate.log say about that SU?

I don't think it is a task that can't be found based on that single line from the log file.

Wednesday, July 09, 2014 6:11 PM

Thanks

Why do you think that they are not needed? Have you force CM to scan again for SU? Are they show as being applied in CM12? What does the Windowsupdate.log say about that SU?

I don't think it is a task that can't be found based on that single line from the log file.

I don't think the updates are needed because they are installed on the server. You will see in my above posts my reasoning for concluding that the updates are installed: "I have two security updates that are indeed installed (according to Windows Update, the Windows Update log, and Add/remove programs), yet Software Center shows "failed" and with that exact same error of "Software update still detected as actionable after being applied".

Yes, I've forced multiple rescans (before and after reinstalling the client) over the course of a few days. Software Center still shows failed.

The Windows update log shows that it installed successfully. Here's one of lines in the log for one of the updates (in fact as far as the log goes back, 7-3, it's been saying this):

WindowsUpdate    Success    Content Install    Installation Successful: Windows successfully installed the following update: Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2729450)

I think, again, we're back to the fact that is is installed but the issue is: "Software update still detected as actionable after being applied" seems to be saying that it DOES see that the patch is installed.  The question is why is it still "actionable"?  The client sees that it's installed but ... why is it saying it's still "actionable"? 

I realize that this issue might be a little tougher to track down since I couldn't find ANY other reference to it online.

Lastly, Config Manager shows "failed to install update" which is exactly what Software Center reports.

Thanks again, am happy to upload/copy/paste any logs you think would be helpful.

• Edited by DavidJB Wednesday, July 09, 2014 6:52 PM
    Wednesday, July 09, 2014 6:49 PM
  • You need to call CSS to have them work with you to solve this issue.

Wednesday, July 09, 2014 6:54 PM
  • I have the exact same error. There is a reference to it here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb735894.aspx

Thursday, July 24, 2014 10:22 PM