vb 2010 express and Access Database

Question

• I downloaded the beta 2 of VB 2010 and converted my project over from 2008 (made a backup so I can still work in 2008)  but I find that their isnt a way to connect to an access database from 2010 like there was in 2008.

I tried the local database, but that creates an sdf file. 

is their something I'm overlooking?
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 4:39 PM

Answers

• Just to clarify the instructions here, it's View...Other Windows...Database Explorer. Then you can right click on Data Connections in the Database Explorer window and select Add Connection.

To add a data source click Data...Add New Data Source...click Database in the Data Source Configuration Wizard, Next button, DataSet as the data connection and then the New Connection... button. If the Data Source in the Add Connection dialog is not Microsoft Access Database File (OLE DB) then click the Change... button. Then select Microsoft Access Database File from the Change Data Source dialog and then click the OK button.
    Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    • Proposed as answer by me.Ryan Friday, November 06, 2009 7:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jeff Shan Monday, November 09, 2009 2:30 AM
    Friday, November 06, 2009 12:27 AM

All replies

• To connect to a Database that already exist is simple:

Goto View on your menu and then select "server explorer"
    it will appear in the left of the screen normally, just click on connect to database and it's done.

or do the same as above but just fill in by the name a not existing name of a database.

Hope it works, Srry for my bad english.
    Thanks for answering my questions, Please explain in code, and for other programming languanges than VB2008.net explain very clearly. My programming skills are:(1 to 5) Html = 4 php = 1 VB2008 = 3,5 c++ = 1 (starter)
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 5:58 PM
  • Just to clarify the instructions here, it's View...Other Windows...Database Explorer. Then you can right click on Data Connections in the Database Explorer window and select Add Connection.

To add a data source click Data...Add New Data Source...click Database in the Data Source Configuration Wizard, Next button, DataSet as the data connection and then the New Connection... button. If the Data Source in the Add Connection dialog is not Microsoft Access Database File (OLE DB) then click the Change... button. Then select Microsoft Access Database File from the Change Data Source dialog and then click the OK button.
    • Proposed as answer by me.Ryan Friday, November 06, 2009 7:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jeff Shan Monday, November 09, 2009 2:30 AM
    Friday, November 06, 2009 12:27 AM
  • No, in VS2010 pro beta2 it's the server explorer.
    Thanks for answering my questions, Please explain in code, and for other programming languanges than VB2008.net explain very clearly. My programming skills are:(1 to 5) Html = 4 php = 1 VB2008 = 3,5 c++ = 1 (starter)
    Friday, November 06, 2009 7:31 AM
  • That is correct, however; his question is about the Express Edition (see title).
    Friday, November 06, 2009 1:35 PM
  • Oh I'm sorry, I didn't new there was a Express edition of 2010, so I read it as VS2010.

Srry.
    Friday, November 06, 2009 4:48 PM
  • No problem, now we know how to do it in both. :-)
    Friday, November 06, 2009 6:53 PM
  • HI

I have done this, but when installing on the an onther Windows 7 64 bit machine it does not work with OLEDB.

How do you connect then to Access without using OLEDB Jet 4 and that it is compatable with windows7 64 bit?

Regards

Wilhelm

WilJ
    Monday, January 10, 2011 9:32 AM
  • You need compile project as 32 bit. Then OLEDB will work. The other solution is to find different driver then OLEDB to connect VB with access database, because there isn't OLEDB x64 version and microsoft isn't planning do this version.
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 10:55 AM
  • HI

Thanks for the Reply. Could you suggeest another driver to connect with Access?

Im am running VB 2010Express. If you Properties-Compile, Then you select Platform, I only get the option AnyCPU. Is that the correct setting?

Regards

Wilhelm

WilJ
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 12:29 PM
  • You can use the ACE OLEDB Provider (64-bit). Jet is essentially obsolete, although commonly used.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=c06b8369-60dd-4b64-a44b-84b371ede16d&displaylang=en

Select the Platform option under Build...Configuration Manager. You may have to add the x86 option. If you do not see the Build menu item, click on Tools...Settings...Expert Settings.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 1:35 PM
  • HI Paul

The previous solution worked 100% but now all off a sudden if I select Tool...Settings....Expert Settings, I do not get the Configuration manager.

What am I doing wrong?

Regards

Wilhelm

WilJ
    Friday, May 13, 2011 2:58 PM