How to collect intellitrace from web application while testing with Lab?

Question

• I'm trying to figure out how to collect debugging information, like intellitrace, on our web application. The web application is already deployed on a machine. This machine may either may be our development server outside of Lab Management or it is deployed into an lab environment that has a single machine setup as a web server role. The latter is how we have it currently.

We have a lab build that runs webtests in an environment with multiple client role machines that test against the web server in the other environment.

So, based on this scenario, is it possible to collect intellitrace from the web server?

Or do I need to have the web server in the same environment as the client machines that are running the test?
    Monday, April 04, 2011 7:11 PM

All replies

• Hi Brandon,

I think they can be part of different environments until they belong to the same team project. You can then use test.settings to specify the intellitrace configuration for each role. Please refer http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ianhu/archive/2010/01/26/intellitrace-and-microsoft-test-manager.aspx

Thanks,

Anuj

Tuesday, April 05, 2011 7:28 AM
  • Anuj,

My test settings is configured to use the desktop client role for testing. Under 'Data and Diagnostics', I have "ASP.NET Client Proxy for IntelliTrace and Test Impact" checked as well as "IntelliTrace" checked.

I configured "IntelliTrace" to also "Collect data from ASP.NET applications runnong on IIS"

My automated test is set to use this test settings.

When I run an automated test, where do I find iTrace events for the remote ASP.NET application and not the iTrace events for the webtest?

Tuesday, April 05, 2011 4:14 PM
  • Hi Brandon, does your web server also has the desktop client role. If its different, then select that role in 'Roles' section in the testsettings and then in the 'Data and Diagnostics' section, configure intellitrace.

Thanks,

Anuj

Tuesday, April 05, 2011 4:31 PM
  • Hi Brandon, does your web server also has the desktop client role. If its different, then select that role in 'Roles' section in the testsettings and then in the 'Data and Diagnostics' section, configure intellitrace.

Thanks,

Anuj

Under test settings, I can select "Web Server" role in "Roles".

But if I do that, at the bottom where it has "Select the role to use to run your automated tests" and only "Web Server" is listed. Thus, when I run the tests, they don't execute because there are no web server roles in the environment with desktop client machines.

I don't want to run the tests on a web server role, I want to run them on a desktop client role.

Tuesday, April 05, 2011 6:58 PM
  • Hi Brandon,

I am not sure if this hack will work but you can add a VM with desktop cleint role in your environmrnt with web server. While running tests, specify your test environment which points to the web server environment.

If that doesnt work, then I think we are going in the wrong direction and you will have to use a single environment.

Thanks,

Anuj

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 1:32 AM
  • Hi Brandon,

I am not sure if this hack will work but you can add a VM with desktop cleint role in your environmrnt with web server. While running tests, specify your test environment which points to the web server environment.

If that doesnt work, then I think we are going in the wrong direction and you will have to use a single environment.

Thanks,

Anuj

What you just proposed is the same as using a single environment.

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 2:24 PM
  • Having the web server in the same environment as the desktop clients won't work for our needs. I need to have the Web Server in a separate environment from the desktop roles that are running the test.

I need:

Environment #1

- Web Server VM

Environment #2

- Desktop Client VM

- Desktop Client VM

The tests will be running in Environment #2 and be testing against the web application on the web server in Environment #1. I need to be able to collect intellitrace from the web application in Environment #1.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 4:24 PM