none
how to start programming with FoxPro?

Question

• Hello,

I'm very much new to FoxPro...I know consept of Database and Relational Database.I know MS Access,but I don't know DOS based softwares.Can anyone help me to to learn the Software FoxPro??

Regards,

Friday, January 18, 2008 6:06 AM

Answers

• hai,

you have to buy a book and learn commands and do programming.

you can use modify command <prgname> to create the program

do <prgname> to execute the progam

eg.

modify command first.prg

set talk off

set status off

set date british

set century on

clos all

clear

? "Hello World"

ctrl+w to save this program

then type

do first.prg

this will display

Hello World

you can also create tables, store data, query data etc

Friday, January 18, 2008 6:51 AM
  • Since you talk of DOS based, are you working with VFP2.6 or what version?

I'd strongly recommend not to use an old version. VFP is windows based for over 10 years. It's database is still file based though. But you can also use it as a strong and rich client or middle tier to some (remote) database server.

www.hentzenwerke.com

www.universalthread.com

www.foxite.com

this forum

last not least: regional foxpro user groups.

Friday, January 18, 2008 8:08 AM
  •  m1d1 wrote:

I'm very much new to FoxPro...I know consept of Database and Relational Database.I know MS Access,but I don't know DOS based softwares.Can anyone help me to to learn the Software FoxPro??

Go to http://www.hentzenwerke.com/catalog/fund6.htm and get a copy of Fundamentals: Building Visual Studio Applications on a Visual FoxPro 6.0 Foundation. Although it is a few versions old, the concepts have not changed and it is the best beginners' reference I have ever seen.

Friday, January 18, 2008 11:49 AM

All replies

• hai,

you have to buy a book and learn commands and do programming.

you can use modify command <prgname> to create the program

do <prgname> to execute the progam

eg.

modify command first.prg

set talk off

set status off

set date british

set century on

clos all

clear

? "Hello World"

ctrl+w to save this program

then type

do first.prg

this will display

Hello World

you can also create tables, store data, query data etc

Friday, January 18, 2008 6:51 AM
  • Since you talk of DOS based, are you working with VFP2.6 or what version?

I'd strongly recommend not to use an old version. VFP is windows based for over 10 years. It's database is still file based though. But you can also use it as a strong and rich client or middle tier to some (remote) database server.

www.hentzenwerke.com

www.universalthread.com

www.foxite.com

this forum

last not least: regional foxpro user groups.

Friday, January 18, 2008 8:08 AM
  •  m1d1 wrote:

Go to http://www.hentzenwerke.com/catalog/fund6.htm and get a copy of Fundamentals: Building Visual Studio Applications on a Visual FoxPro 6.0 Foundation. Although it is a few versions old, the concepts have not changed and it is the best beginners' reference I have ever seen.

Friday, January 18, 2008 11:49 AM
  • I want to learn about foxpro programming and the concept of database. How to create a table and adjust information

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 1:40 PM
  •  Jetti Thanitayya Raj wrote:

I want to learn about foxpro programming and the concept of database. How to create a table and adjust information

you probably want to create a different thread, as this is a slightly different question to the original poster. though take note of the replies to that too, as it is good sense.

to the original poster:

buy "Hacker's Guide to Visual FoxPro 7.0".

Is like an awesome version of the help file you already have with VFP.

As you already know how to program and about databases etc then you can pretty much get started straight away with a simple project to kick off your learning with, then use Hack Fox (and the microsoft help too if you feel like it, but Hack Fox is better help) for anything you need to know the details on.

Oh, and I too strongly recommend getting the newest version of VFP (version 9), as intelisense is awesome! Big Smile Extra helpful for the newbie (and the more experienced too).
    Monday, January 28, 2008 9:14 PM
  •  

You may want to check out some of the ebooks at showmemyebooks.com

-HJ

Monday, October 06, 2008 2:39 PM
  • Ya Sir,

You can by a book of Visual foxpro 9.0 or study via internet foxpro site. Or If you can contact me through my email: pramod.oct1169@gmail.com . I will teach you some easy methods and steps to learn. I can also teach you if your interested to pay very nominal i don' mind.

By

Pramod
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 8:15 AM