Click once deployment error - + is not a valid Win32 application. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800700C1)

Question

• Hey people,
    I've got a :
    Click once deployment error - +  is not a valid Win32 application. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800700C1)
    i coded the app using vs 2008 - visual basic on vista

You can try and re-create the error yourself by downloading the app from:
    www.jimmytee.net
    its a simple radio station streamer.

heres the log file where it crashed on one of my fellow students computers at uni:

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
     Windows    : 6.0.6001.65536 (Win32NT)
     Common Language Runtime  : 2.0.50727.1434
     System.Deployment.dll   : 2.0.50727.1434 (REDBITS.050727-1400)
     mscorwks.dll    : 2.0.50727.1434 (REDBITS.050727-1400)
     dfdll.dll    : 2.0.50727.1434 (REDBITS.050727-1400)
     dfshim.dll    : 2.0.50727.1434 (REDBITS.050727-1400)

SOURCES
     Deployment url   : http://members.iinet.net.au/~thompo/Net_Rock_Radio.application
          Server  : Apache/2.0.55 (Ubuntu) mod_ldap_userdir/1.1.11 PHP/4.4.2-1.1 mod_vhost_ldap/1.0.0

IDENTITIES
     Deployment Identity  : Net_Rock_Radio.application, Version=1.0.0.80, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=ec8d85613e40f5a0, processorArchitecture=msil

APPLICATION SUMMARY
     * Installable application.

ERROR SUMMARY
     Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
     * Activation of http://members.iinet.net.au/~thompo/Net_Rock_Radio.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
      +  is not a valid Win32 application. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800700C1)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
     No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
     There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
     * [4/09/2008 3:46:22 AM] : Activation of http://members.iinet.net.au/~thompo/Net_Rock_Radio.application has started.
     * [4/09/2008 3:46:23 AM] : Processing of deployment manifest has successfully completed.

ERROR DETAILS
     Following errors were detected during this operation.
     * [4/09/2008 3:46:23 AM] System.BadImageFormatException
      -  is not a valid Win32 application. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800700C1)
      - Source: System.Deployment
      - Stack trace:
       at System.Deployment.Application.NativeMethods.CorLaunchApplication(UInt32 hostType, String applicationFullName, Int32 manifestPathsCount, String[] manifestPaths, Int32 activationDataCount, String[] activationData, PROCESS_INFORMATION processInformation)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.ActivateApplication(DefinitionAppId appId, Uri activationUri, Boolean isActivatingExtension)
       at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.ActivateApplication(DefinitionAppId appId, Uri activationUri, Boolean isActivatingExtension)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.Activate(DefinitionAppId appId, AssemblyManifest appManifest, Uri activationUri, Boolean isActivatingExtension)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
     * Transaction at [4/09/2008 3:46:23 AM]
      + System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.StoreOperationSetDeploymentMetadata
       - HRESULT: 0x0
      + System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.StoreTransactionOperationType (27)
       - HRESULT: 0x0

My firend at uni states:

Went to enter in the rego code today, but when I run the app and it tries to “Verify application requirements”

Not sure if it is just me but I get the error message:

“Application cannot be started. Contac the application vendor”

Went back to your website thinking there might of been an update, so I re-installed, even tried launching form the webpage, but no dice.

I’ve attached the log file that is dumped from the crash.

Damon
    PS. I’m using Vista Ultimate SP1 64Bit

any help on this would be greatly appreciated,
    cheers,
    Jimmy

Thursday, September 04, 2008 4:31 AM

Answers

• JimmyTeeRock said:

Click once deployment error - +  is not a valid Win32 application. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800700C1)

My firend at uni states:
    Went to enter in the rego code today, but when I run the app and it tries to “Verify application requirements”

Went back to your website thinking there might of been an update, so I re-installed, even tried launching form the webpage, but no dice.

Damon

Hi 
    Jimmy,

If you develope your .NET application on 64-bit Windows Vista and then install it onto 32-bit machines via Clickonce deployment, the above error might occur. Please check this document:

How to: Deploy a 64-bit Application Using ClickOnce
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms165430.aspx

Project -> Properties -> Compile tab -> Advanced Compile Options... -> Target CPU
     Select the appropriate processor for your system: x86, x64, Itanium, or accept the default value of Any CPU.

All prerequisites of your application need to be installed successfully, then your application can be started.

The
    ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects forum is dedicated to application deployment issues, you can get better responses there.

Best regards,
    Martin Xie

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 8:28 AM

All replies

• Hi.

Try to search Windows Live Search or Google by passing the "HRESULT: 0x800700C1" search string. You will obtain a lot of results, try to take a look if any of them represents a situation similar to yours.

HTH
    Alessandro Del Sole - Microsoft MVP http://community.visual-basic.it/Alessandro
    Sunday, September 07, 2008 12:01 AM
  • JimmyTeeRock said:

My firend at uni states:

Damon

Hi 
    Jimmy,

If you develope your .NET application on 64-bit Windows Vista and then install it onto 32-bit machines via Clickonce deployment, the above error might occur. Please check this document:

How to: Deploy a 64-bit Application Using ClickOnce
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms165430.aspx

Project -> Properties -> Compile tab -> Advanced Compile Options... -> Target CPU
     Select the appropriate processor for your system: x86, x64, Itanium, or accept the default value of Any CPU.

All prerequisites of your application need to be installed successfully, then your application can be started.

The
    ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects forum is dedicated to application deployment issues, you can get better responses there.

Best regards,
    Martin Xie

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 8:28 AM