Look what happened after I installed SQL Server 2005.

Question

• Visual Studio Express 2005 Beta 2. SQL Server 2005 Express June CTP.

After I installed the SQL Server 2005 books online, this is what happened to the visual studio documentation.

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/shexec32/shexec32/images/screencorruption.png

Look in particular at the table of contents. These strange topics appear all over the Visual Studio Express documentation. They appear to be fragments of the Net framework help. Sometimes, I can even see non-english characters (eg. from the Kanji range), which could suggest I'm looking at my contents of memory.

This occurred after I installed the SQL Server books online, which uses the same help system as Dexplore.exe. This is almost certain to be the cause of the problem. The index and search functionality apparently aren't affected.

Wednesday, June 08, 2005 7:40 PM

Answers

• I managed to fix the table of contents by using the 7.1 help system:

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Help\dexplore.exe" /helpcol ms-help://MS.VSExpressCC.v80

There was a dialog saying help is updating to reflect your recent changes, and after a few minutes, the full documentation appeared, with the SQL Books online topics integrated into the help.

Thursday, June 09, 2005 10:07 AM

All replies

• I managed to fix the table of contents by using the 7.1 help system:

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Help\dexplore.exe" /helpcol ms-help://MS.VSExpressCC.v80

There was a dialog saying help is updating to reflect your recent changes, and after a few minutes, the full documentation appeared, with the SQL Books online topics integrated into the help.

Thursday, June 09, 2005 10:07 AM
  • Did you by any chance install SQL Server books online while VS Express was running?  There is an issue in Beta 2 where help collections can be corrupt if you install new help collections while help is being accessed by another application.  (We have since fixed this issue.)

Here's a command you can try to run, please post back as to whether this works for you.
    "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Help 8\dexplore.exe" /helpcol ms-help://MS.VSExpressCC.v80 /mergehelpcontent

Thanks!
    Jeremy Jones
    Program Manager, VS Help & Community
    Thursday, June 09, 2005 8:38 PM
  • No. I was not running VS Express or Help when I installed the Books online. But I still got the corruption in help.

To make doubly sure I reattempted the installation. This time I shut down Every app I could. I shut down most of the non-essential services (incl. antivirus and networking services), so nothing could interfere with installation.

Even though PendingFileRenameOperations was empty throughout the procedure, I restarted in between installs (and remembered to shut down all apps).

After I removed the old instance of Books online, the SQL topics still lingered in my table of contents. Those topics had the same corruption as before.

Your command fixed the problem.

For the reinstallation, I created a log (let me know if you want to see it). The install didn't have any problems or warnings. However, when I reopened the help, the toc corruption was reproduced. I needed to use your command line to fix the table of contents.

It looks like your bug is not dependent on whether VS Express is running. In the "old days" [VS7.1], the installer would automatically merge the Toc whenever a new help collection was installed, and dexplore would automatically update itself whenever you changed the table of contents.

Now, the automatic update doesn't happen anymore, and you have to rely on this newly mentioned switch, or open up the collection in the "old" help.

Is it okay if you add documentation that command switch?
    Sunday, June 12, 2005 12:38 PM
  • Thanks for all the details - this is very helpful information.

We have fixed the underlying merge issue, so the Table of Contents will always merge on startup when needed.  Additionally, as you mentioned, all help content will be merged on install as well.

(For this reason, we won't be supporting or documenting the /mergehelpcontent switch.)

Thanks again, and sorry for your frustration with your help collections.

Jeremy Jones
    Program Manager, Visual Studio Help & Community
    Monday, June 13, 2005 5:30 PM
  • Even I faced the same problem. I didn't perticularly notice the Help Content. However my Help Index in Visual Studio was totally messed up. When I tried to see the help for WSALookupServiceBegin, I saw help for Windows Media 8(?)!

My setup is as follows:
    Windows XP SP2
    Platform SDK for Windows XP SP2
    Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2 Professional Edn.
    SQL Server 2005 June CTP Developer Edn.
    (Installed in the above order)

Note: Before installing SQL server 2005 June CTP, I uninstalled SQL Server Express, its components and .Net Framework 2 installed by Visual Studio 2005 installer.

What would be the command I need to issue to fix the above problem?

Regards,

Manu.
    Wednesday, June 15, 2005 6:44 AM