No Speakers Device Is Available

Question

• Hello!

I am using ASUS mobo with VIA Sound controller. I have the following device: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1106&DEV_0397&SUBSYS_10438346.

No Speakers device is available on the Playback tab of the Sound dialog box. I think this is similar to this experience.

I understand that it's strange to expect to see VIA's drivers on the list. Still, I was please to see my SAMSUNG P2270 detected oobe!

If there's a way to enable speakers, I'll appreciate your help.

Thank you.

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:02 AM

Answers

• Amy,

After messing around with ASUS distribution of VIA sound drivers I got them installed on my system.

Here's what I did:

1. Downloaded latest VIA sound drivers for the Windows 7 64-bit from ASUS site (just because VIA asks you to contact motherboard manufacturer for obtaining drivers).

2. Unpacked the VIA_Audio_V6019500_XPVistaWin7.zip containing the driver version 6.0.1.9500.

3. In the AsusSetup.ini file added the following line to the [OS_Language_Tag] section:

WNT_6.2P_64 = Win7_64

The WNT_6.2P_64 is how ASUS setup recognizes Windows Developer Preview OS.

Win7_64 guides the installer to drivers targeted for Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit).

The INI file with settings for Windows 7 is located in the following locations:

1. The root of unpacked VIA_Audio_V6019500_XPVistaWin7.zip: .\VIA_Audio_V6019500_XPVistaWin7\

2. .\VIA_Audio_V6019500_XPVistaWin7\NoHotfix

I added the line above to both of the files.

3. Set the following options for properties of AsusSetup.exe in the root and SETUP.EXE in the .\VIA_Audio_V6019500_XPVistaWin7\Driver\

Compatibility: checked the Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows 7

Privilege Level: checked the Run this program as an administrator

Unblocked both executables (they were locked as if the were downloaded from the internet when in fact they were downloaded within a ZIP archive)

NOTE: if you don't set compatibility options, the SETUP.exe will not proceed returning: Sorry, the install wizard can't find the proper component for the current platform. Please press  OK to terminate the install wizard.

4. When installer finished his work, I set the same compatibility options for the properties of these files:

%ProgramFiles(x86)%\VIA\VIAudioi\VDeck\VDeck.exe - the VIA control panel that launches into the notification area allowing you to re-direct sound.

%ProgramFiles(x86)%\VIA\VIAudioi\VDeck\SRSUIx64.exe - SRS tools - did NOT work for me although worked file in Windows 7 64 bit.

5. I tested the sound and... NO SOUND! I checked dxdiag output --- NO ERRORS.

6. The problem is the notorious sound redirection. VIA fails to redirect sound to front panel! When I set the VIA to treat my headphones as a separate device and plugged the headphones to the back sound outs, I got the sound.

If anybody knows how to make the sound output from the front panel, please let me know.

• Marked as answer by Exotic Hadron Friday, September 23, 2011 3:15 PM
    Friday, September 23, 2011 3:14 PM

All replies

• If you download the Windows 7 Drivers, and install them on Windows Developer Preview, what happens?

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:42 AM
  • Hi Amy,

Thanks for the tip! I'll try it and let you know if it worked. That said, I'd prefer MSFT drivers to any others produced by any hardware vendor even if the MSFT ones will not deliver full audio experience.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:45 AM
  • I understand. Let me know!

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:03 PM
  • Amy,

After messing around with ASUS distribution of VIA sound drivers I got them installed on my system.

Here's what I did:

1. Downloaded latest VIA sound drivers for the Windows 7 64-bit from ASUS site (just because VIA asks you to contact motherboard manufacturer for obtaining drivers).

2. Unpacked the VIA_Audio_V6019500_XPVistaWin7.zip containing the driver version 6.0.1.9500.

3. In the AsusSetup.ini file added the following line to the [OS_Language_Tag] section:

WNT_6.2P_64 = Win7_64

The WNT_6.2P_64 is how ASUS setup recognizes Windows Developer Preview OS.

Win7_64 guides the installer to drivers targeted for Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit).

The INI file with settings for Windows 7 is located in the following locations:

1. The root of unpacked VIA_Audio_V6019500_XPVistaWin7.zip: .\VIA_Audio_V6019500_XPVistaWin7\

2. .\VIA_Audio_V6019500_XPVistaWin7\NoHotfix

I added the line above to both of the files.

3. Set the following options for properties of AsusSetup.exe in the root and SETUP.EXE in the .\VIA_Audio_V6019500_XPVistaWin7\Driver\

Compatibility: checked the Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows 7

Privilege Level: checked the Run this program as an administrator

Unblocked both executables (they were locked as if the were downloaded from the internet when in fact they were downloaded within a ZIP archive)

NOTE: if you don't set compatibility options, the SETUP.exe will not proceed returning: Sorry, the install wizard can't find the proper component for the current platform. Please press  OK to terminate the install wizard.

4. When installer finished his work, I set the same compatibility options for the properties of these files:

%ProgramFiles(x86)%\VIA\VIAudioi\VDeck\VDeck.exe - the VIA control panel that launches into the notification area allowing you to re-direct sound.

%ProgramFiles(x86)%\VIA\VIAudioi\VDeck\SRSUIx64.exe - SRS tools - did NOT work for me although worked file in Windows 7 64 bit.

5. I tested the sound and... NO SOUND! I checked dxdiag output --- NO ERRORS.

6. The problem is the notorious sound redirection. VIA fails to redirect sound to front panel! When I set the VIA to treat my headphones as a separate device and plugged the headphones to the back sound outs, I got the sound.

If anybody knows how to make the sound output from the front panel, please let me know.

• Marked as answer by Exotic Hadron Friday, September 23, 2011 3:15 PM
    Friday, September 23, 2011 3:14 PM