Visual Studio 2010 Express is now available!

General discussion

• Today, we are pleased to announce that the Visual Studio 2010 Express release is now available for download on the Visual Studio Express Web Site!

The Visual Studio Express Editions are simplified versions of the Visual Studio Professional product, tailored for beginner and hobbyist developers. They offer power and productivity in a simple package and best of all, they are free!

New for this release, we have created a streamlined user experience that focuses on the most common commands by hiding some of the more advanced menus and toolbars.  All of the Express features are still available via the Tools > Settings > Expert Settings menu.

Learn more about the Visual Studio Express products:

·         Using Visual Studio Express to create Windows Applications

·         Using Visual Studio Express to create Web Applications

Adrian Collier

Program Manager - Visual Studio Express

Monday, April 12, 2010 5:40 PM

All replies

• What's the license for the 2010 express versions? Is it the same as for the 2008 ones (commercial = ok)?
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 12:01 AM
  • I have the same doubt, splash screen on VWD says "for Evaluation only" and on Help->About i get a 28 days remaining.
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 12:22 AM
  • The 30-days-limit was also in the 2008 version, you have to register (Help->Register Product) to get unlimited access.

I hope the "for Evaluation only" message is something they forgot to remove and that the license is the same...

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 12:26 AM
  • Ahh yes I forgot about registration. Well I did it and now the "for Evaluation Purposes Only" change to a "product Registered". So now theres no indication license would be different than previous versions, but some confirmation from Microsoft would be appreciated.
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 1:23 AM
  • oh, true
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 1:40 AM
  • I have the same question.
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 2:18 AM
  • Hi All,

Thanks for bringing this question up, hopefully this will make things clearer.

Provided that you comply with all the License Terms for a particular Express release, the 2010 Express SKUS can be used to create commercial software. Before you register the express SKU you are effectively running a trial version of the Express product, which expires after 30 days.  There is no limit on creating commercial software during the trial period. Once you register the product, the ‘Evaluation’ text changes to show it is a licensed copy.

Thanks for your time,

Adrian Collier

Program Manager – Visual Studio Express

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 9:02 PM
  • I have the same question.

All you do is go to Help, and you will see "Register Product" in the menu's options, you click on it, and then you will see a Textbox that you input the registration key. Any iteration of Visual Studios will have you open IE (I think this is the only browser that will do it correctly), and you would have to either sign in or go to the profile page that you use with MSDN, after that, you will be able to get the registration key.

Here's a word of advise, when you copy and  then paste the key, you will want to delete the empty space at the end of the key in the textbox to make the "Register Now" button clickable. There were some people who were saying that they couldn't get that button to work. I had the same issue for about 1 minute.

Thursday, April 15, 2010 9:12 PM

Adrian Collier

Program Manager – Visual Studio Express

Thank you for the response.

Sorry Doug N .  I was too lazy for not to clarify what question was about. I already registry VS2010, the question was aboutcreating commercial software and the 30 days expiration.

Friday, April 16, 2010 2:33 AM
  • I installed C++ and C# Express from the 2010 all-in-one ISO image and it's asking for registration.  I thought the point of the ISO image was for offline installation.  I have an old XP machine that I really don't want to connect to the internet, so it looks like I can't install 2010 Express on there.

Monday, April 19, 2010 2:53 AM
  • I installed VWD 2010 Express esterday. Tried to register it. But after I click on "Continue" on the registration form I am redirected to the german MSDN-VS Express  2008 Website. No registration key is displayed. The registration of VCS Express 2010 worked without problems (about a week ago).
    Saturday, April 24, 2010 7:47 AM
  • Yep it's always redirecting to this site in my case: http://www.microsoft.com/express/Resources/

Saturday, April 24, 2010 7:37 PM
  • The same for me.

Maybe is possible to obtain the registration code with another method or procedure?

Thanks

Paolo

Monday, April 26, 2010 8:28 AM
  • The checksums i have for the Visual Studio 2010 Express ISO are as
    below.

File: VS2010Express1.iso
    CRC-32: dfb27940
       MD4: 3378530a8989b6e32fb31bfb62415f7a
       MD5: a24a4bc46013002f50fcfeef3ceac090
     SHA-1: adef5e361a1f64374f520b9a2d03c54ee43721c6

My download was interrupted a few times.  Can someone confirm i have
    the the right bits :-) or do i have to re-download ?

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 6:37 AM
  • Thursday, April 29, 2010 9:52 AM
  • So I just need some clarification. So if on my free time, I do some commercial development for a few people (contract type work), I can use the express editions of visual studio? If i was a coporation or wanted the extra features of Visual Studio I would actually have to buy a license?

Let me know If there is any more clarification I need in the question.

Thanks,

Brad

Monday, May 03, 2010 2:36 PM
  • I've just downloaded and installed my Visual C++ 2008 Express.

I'm asked to register so I can use it, by finding the Help Menu as step 1 to registering.

Where's the Help Menu?

The installation put an entry in the START all programs as "Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition" and that has two sub-entries, "Visual Studio Tools" and  "Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition". 

This latter leads to an orange and brown screen showing "Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition" over which is a screen which is headed as "Microsoft Visual Studio 2008" and having a field for entering a registration key.  An underlined, blue text "Register Now"  pointer shows a screen which spells out the 5 steps to registration, the first being to hit on the HELP tab.

But nowhere is there a HELP tab.

The earlier, "Visual Studio Tools" entry simply gives a DOS-like panel headed as Visual Studio Command Prompt.

But nowhere is there a HELP tab.

So, how do I register this thing??

Max

2010 May 16, Sunday

Sunday, May 16, 2010 11:51 AM
  • visual web developer 2010 no longer available well at least for me i just tried to install twice i just used the microsoft site which meant to install the platform and visual express 2010ut didnt get the visual express 2010

this the microsoft site i used

http://www.microsoft.com/express/Downloads/#2010-Visual-Web-Developer

Sunday, May 30, 2010 7:13 PM
  • may be a stupid reply but try pressing and holding down the left alt key and hitting f,

it might just be that the menu bar is hidden (like it is on IE7 on my vista system)

worth a try for nothing :)

Monday, May 31, 2010 9:22 PM
  • I cannot register any of the express products. I have tried to register all of them multiple times and after entering all of my information, I end up on a screen with a spinning green circle that never stops. There is also an ajaxlite.js error. I am using IE8. I have looked for solutions to this registration problem and it seems that it has existed for several years now. One microsoft rep recommended using firefox instead of IE?
    Monday, June 07, 2010 3:22 AM
  • FIXED! but not safely!

go to:

internet options
    security
    custom level
    ActiveX controls and plug-ins
    initialize and script activex controls not marked as safe for scripting (not secure)
     select "Enable (not secure)"

Monday, June 07, 2010 4:17 AM
  • Hello.I have just downloaded and installed the Visual Studio 2010 Express, but I dont know how to run it.Can anybody give me a clue?

Thanks in advance.

Sunday, June 13, 2010 3:39 PM
  • It will be great if you can package each installation as offline packages with zip or exe extensions. Web platform installer fails most of the times, and if you can provide packages as,

1. Visual C# installationPackage.exe
    2. Visual Web installationPackage.exe
    3. Visual C++ installationPackage.exe

etc.

It would help us to download what we need, and install on any PC which doesn't have an internet connection .

Thanks!

Thursday, June 17, 2010 5:07 AM
  • Hello I had Visual Basic express 2010 beta 2  register and now I cannot use it , launching it says that I have to register!

I register my datas and it says that I have to get the new version but when I try to dl the new version nothing happend.

This is weird!

do I have to wait for a mail?

How can I get the new version?

Please help, I need it urgently

Saturday, July 31, 2010 11:32 PM
  • I understand that the Visual Studio Express 2010 is free by registering for a free key, and the application created by Visual Studio Express 2010 is free for use commerically as well if I am correct.  But I would like to know about the Visual Studio Express 2010 itself, can it be used or installed onto a machine and use it in a commerical environment?
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 8:00 AM
  • G"day Brown Deer: wot a rippa. Have been trying for a week or so to register. Tried your trick [quickly :)]; took a few seconds, and now I am away. Thanks

Monday, November 15, 2010 11:45 AM
  • I called Microsoft on the topic of the product/registration key.

He said the product is not free but will have to be paid for after the 'trial period' of 30 days is up. When I said the site said it's *free", he said, "Yes, for the trial period."

Nice. I thought it was *free*, period. And I told him it would be used for 'personal use", btw.

Good thing I found out this is fraudulent advertising or I'd be sitting here with saved projects in it and after 30 days, wonder why the program stopped working and asks me to buy it.

Friday, January 21, 2011 11:21 PM

He said the product is not free but will have to be paid for after the 'trial period' of 30 days is up. When I said the site said it's *free", he said, "Yes, for the trial period."

Nice. I thought it was *free*, period. And I told him it would be used for 'personal use", btw.

Good thing I found out this is fraudulent advertising or I'd be sitting here with saved projects in it and after 30 days, wonder why the program stopped working and asks me to buy it.

I am sure you are mistaking.

When you talked to support did you specify "Express"?

Also, are you positive you downloaded the "Express" version from here> http://www.microsoft.com/express/

Now, a trial version of "Professional" and other full versions are available and if I remember right when you are installing Express, it gives you the option to install a trial of Professional.

With so many versions I can see how it could be confusing and it could be easy to confuse support as well, if your wording isn't just right when you talk to them.

Sunday, January 30, 2011 5:36 PM

I am sure you are mistaking.

When you talked to support did you specify "Express"?

Also, are you positive you downloaded the "Express" version from here> http://www.microsoft.com/express/

Now, a trial version of "Professional" and other full versions are available and if I remember right when you are installing Express, it gives you the option to install a trial of Professional.

With so many versions I can see how it could be confusing and it could be easy to confuse support as well, if your wording isn't just right when you talk to them.

Thank you for replying.

I agree. I think the person I spoke with was confused as to which I was referring to.

Now if I can get this other issue resolved, I'll be set to go. That issue being I registered it but because I had a prior version already in the computer, it gave me an odd message saying the key wouldn't extend my product use. So, I'm fearing this means after 30 days, this thing will stop working. My question is, should I just ignore the message or will this product actually expire in 30 days? (I don't want to lose any saved projects I'm working on, which I would if it died on me).

I realize this product key message I received is off topic for this thread, but you/someone wouldn't happen to know the answer to my question or be able to direct me a place where I can find the answer?

Be inspired by phreaking
    Sunday, January 30, 2011 5:47 PM
  • I have stayed away from the 2010 express editions because they require registration. Earlier, with 2005 and 2008, registration was only required for the web download version. The ISO version did not require registration but with 2010, all express editions require registration. I refuse to register a product that Microsoft claims is free. Even if registration is free, I cannot just quickly put VC++ Express and use it past 30 days without registering. I would rather use pirated Visual Studio Professional. I was hoping that with 2010 SP1 Express editions would be re-releases like with 2008 but I am disappointed. Microsoft, please remove the registration requirement from Express editions. This is hampering adoption of this line.
    Anonymuos
    Friday, March 11, 2011 8:48 AM
  • I agree with "Anonymuos" in that the mandatory registration is ruining this product.

I'm trying to deploy this to a computer lab in the high school I work at.

We included a pre-registered version of 2010 Express in the the Windows 7 image we deployed to the machines with SCCM 2007 - but sure enough, after 30 days we get the good old registration nag and it stops running the program for the students.

Obviously we don't want children going out to the internet and having to provide their details to register the product.

The only workaround is for the students to move from computer to computer every 30 days, or delete all of the local profile of the machines for the same time period.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 11:54 PM
  • I agree with "Anonymuos" in that the mandatory registration is ruining this product.

We included a pre-registered version of 2010 Express in the the Windows 7 image we deployed to the machines with SCCM 2007 - but sure enough, after 30 days we get the good old registration nag and it stops running the program for the students.

Obviously we don't want children going out to the internet and having to provide their details to register the product.

The only workaround is for the students to move from computer to computer every 30 days, or delete all of the local profile of the machines for the same time period.

Absolutely ridiculous.

One, it is extremely common to register any product you obtain these days, free or not.

Understandable you wouldn't want your students, from the way you speak it sounds as though they are really young, to have to enter their details for registration. I can see a couple different solutions to your problem though.

#1. A single person can have multiple installs of the Express editions registered to themselve's. So using this case, you yourself or someone higher in your admin could register each install. Perhaps your school has an IT professional, someone should be designated to setup and maintain the computers and network in your school, on board that would be willing to do this?

#2. Microsoft does have the DreamSpark program, www.dreamspark.com , which is primarily set up for individual students to sign up for free licenses of the full version of many different Microsoft Applications. You could send a request up your chain in the school system to have them contact DreamSpark to see if they have a solution for your school.

https://www.dreamspark.com/FAQ/Default.aspx?i=gen#

"FAQ:

What schools are eligible to participate?

A: High Schools, Vocational and Trade Schools, Community Colleges, and Universities are all eligible to participate in the DreamSpark program. Simply put, any accredited school around the world is eligible. "

From reading that, it gives me an even stronger notion they can help.

Off, but On Topic.

When growing up, I wish my school system would have taken advantage of programs like this. Then again I am from Texas, so in the 80's and 90's , when I was in school, Agriculture was the main focus. It wasn't until early 2000 when Tech companies finaly started booming here. Aside from "Texas Instruments", which has been here for ages. If they still exist :)

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 4:07 PM

Absolutely ridiculous.

One, it is extremely common to register any product you obtain these days, free or not.

Understandable you wouldn't want your students, from the way you speak it sounds as though they are really young, to have to enter their details for registration. I can see a couple different solutions to your problem though.

#1. A single person can have multiple installs of the Express editions registered to themselve's. So using this case, you yourself or someone higher in your admin could register each install. Perhaps your school has an IT professional, someone should be designated to setup and maintain the computers and network in your school, on board that would be willing to do this?

#2. Microsoft does have the DreamSpark program, www.dreamspark.com , which is primarily set up for individual students to sign up for free licenses of the full version of many different Microsoft Applications. You could send a request up your chain in the school system to have them contact DreamSpark to see if they have a solution for your school.

https://www.dreamspark.com/FAQ/Default.aspx?i=gen#

"FAQ:

What schools are eligible to participate?

A: High Schools, Vocational and Trade Schools, Community Colleges, and Universities are all eligible to participate in the DreamSpark program. Simply put, any accredited school around the world is eligible. "

From reading that, it gives me an even stronger notion they can help.

Off, but On Topic.

When growing up, I wish my school system would have taken advantage of programs like this. Then again I am from Texas, so in the 80's and 90's , when I was in school, Agriculture was the main focus. It wasn't until early 2000 when Tech companies finaly started booming here. Aside from "Texas Instruments", which has been here for ages. If they still exist :)

I agree with boostboy, and then some.

Registering creates issues, whether or not they have 'solutions'.

Solutions wouldn't be needed if registering weren't necessary.

Therefore, no registering=no issues to resolve later.

Best solution Microsoft should offer in light of this is: No registering.

I agree with you on one part: Registering is common. However, my stance is on this is: Just because quite a few people are doing something ridiculous, doesn't make it OK or excusable. The more people object, the less of them will be doing it.

I know what Microsoft's thinking is as to why they want it registered. I've worked in retail and I know the 'psychology' behind it (and this actually exists). Point to registering is several-fold, (1) To make the user 'feel special' because they have to give their name. They'll think, "Wow. Microsoft doesn't just see me as 'some anonymous user' out here, they see me 'as a person' because they want to know my name!" (2) This sets the scene for possible benefit later to Microsoft. Make a user 'feel special' now with a free product, they'll be more likely to 'buy' a product later. (3) The user of the free product is more likely to 'tell others' how special they're being treated, thus creating potential buyers of products of them. (4) Etc.

Though I know why businesses do this, I still dislike it. I've had a few problems myself caused by having to do this, one of which I never posted here.

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 4:42 PM
  • I really don't get where registering a product is an "Issue" in the sence where it is a negative thing.

A company or a person creates a product. Said company / person releases said product free of charge. You give said company / person your email address in exchange for the free product.

I want to add that I am aware of several people / groups of people that rely on this software daily and it has enabled them to generate money to sustain themselves, very well I might add.

Some one within this company believes the foundation and strong hold of this company is.. well I will let hime say it for himself.

"Developers, Developers, Developers!" - Steve Balmer

And that is why this company allows us to download free software, in hopes we will eventually add our own taste to Windows.

If Microsoft wants my email in exchange for software... then so be it.

Thursday, April 07, 2011 3:31 PM
  • I really don't get where registering a product is an "Issue" in the sence where it is a negative thing.

A company or a person creates a product. Said company / person releases said product free of charge. You give said company / person your email address in exchange for the free product.

I want to add that I am aware of several people / groups of people that rely on this software daily and it has enabled them to generate money to sustain themselves, very well I might add.

Some one within this company believes the foundation and strong hold of this company is.. well I will let hime say it for himself.

"Developers, Developers, Developers!" - Steve Balmer

And that is why this company allows us to download free software, in hopes we will eventually add our own taste to Windows.

If Microsoft wants my email in exchange for software... then so be it.

True. Developers are why Microsoft offers it free. In the end, Microsoft can make more money if Windows is improved on by what developers make. But I already said profit is the motive.

Giving ones email address isn't the only issue, it's also having to get a product key in return or the product dies in 30 days. The product possibly dying in 30 days caused a problem for me (the 'other problem' I mentioned above but didn't detail). I had installed the C++ one first. Then a few days later I installed the Visual Basic one and it 'objected', so to speak, when I tried to register that one because it noticed I already had the Visual C++ installed. What I ended up having to do was to 'wait' 30 days and see if my Visual Basic one would expire and stop working.

Waiting was necessary since most of the people at Microsoft are foreigners who have little grasp of English and therefore when asked for help on something can't offer anything to say except, "I'll be glad to assist you. I understand you're having a problem with a product you bought. How eyufdhuwfeiowfeoiuwfeyugfewguiwefhufjuhds". In other words, who can understand and deal with employees who aren't fluent in English? (In fact, I'm currently having a big problem with my Windows Update, and trying to email tech support was a waste (which I knew it would be) because the person doesn't know fluent English and as a result I can't comprehend 1/2 the email I was sent, so I replied to his manager and said if you can't get a fluent English speaker I can't conduct business so unless you can find one don't reply back. Not that this is the topic here, but it's an example of having no where to turn.) Knowing this, I couldn't have asked for assistance so that left me having to 'wait it out'. Luckily for me I wasn't someone in great need of the product so I could afford to wait around that 30 days, others can't do that however.

The fact is for me and others in a similar position, registering it and having to get the product key has caused problems which wouldn't be there if registering and getting a product key wasn't required in the first place.

Be inspired by phreaking

Thursday, April 07, 2011 4:06 PM
  • What sort of "objection" did you get when installing?

I have had multiple installs on multiple machines, I just registered each install and everything was fine.

If your own "objection" is that you don't like having to register products, then there is nothing anyone can do to help.

" But I already said profit is the motive.".... okay, a company or a single developer is to spend thousands perhaps close to millions developing a product and expect nothing in return? That would be foolish.

Many people have the misconception, that because a product can be digitally distributed that it cost nothing to produce the product.

I think the solutions were posted, if not acceptable. Then there is nothing else to say.

I hope you find what ever satisfaction you are looking for by posting to these boards.

Thursday, April 07, 2011 4:44 PM
  • What sort of "objection" did you get when installing?

I have had multiple installs on multiple machines, I just registered each install and everything was fine.

If your own "objection" is that you don't like having to register products, then there is nothing anyone can do to help.

" But I already said profit is the motive.".... okay, a company or a single developer is to spend thousands perhaps close to millions developing a product and expect nothing in return? That would be foolish.

Many people have the misconception, that because a product can be digitally distributed that it cost nothing to produce the product.

I think the solutions were posted, if not acceptable. Then there is nothing else to say.

I hope you find what ever satisfaction you are looking for by posting to these boards.

What sort of objection did I get? It said "You cannot extend the life of this product using this product key". I looked for a few hours for a solution and found none. I gave up and just waited the 30 days.

Thank you for the conversation. Have a good one.

Be inspired by phreaking
    Thursday, April 07, 2011 4:53 PM
  •  

" I gave up and just waited the 30 days"

So your problem has already bee resolved?

Thursday, April 07, 2011 5:14 PM
  •  

" I gave up and just waited the 30 days"

So your problem has already bee resolved?

I waited the 30 days to see if the product would die, it didn't so I got lucky.  Had it died, I would've had to remove it and skip it.

Be inspired by phreaking
    Thursday, April 07, 2011 5:22 PM
  • "I waited the 30 days to see if the product would die, it didn't so I got lucky."

Well then there was no problem in the first place..

Have a nice day. :)

Thursday, April 07, 2011 5:27 PM
  • The license is completely free, the same goes for any express version of visual studio.
    Friday, June 03, 2011 11:02 PM