none
SLOWDOWN AT THE SAME TIME EACH DAY

Question

• My client has a sql server 2008 r2 installed for several years now.  I have an access 2003 frontend which has been working fine for many years.  For about 2 weeks now between 10 am and 11 am there has been a huge slowdown.  I have run spwho3 and see no conflicts.  If I kick all users out of the system and do an index rebuild then there is no problem for the rest of the day.  I am not doing any sql backups during that time.  The network manager says that they are not doing any backups or virus scans at that time.   It's very frustrating.  Please advise with what I can look for or test to resolve this problem.  Sorry  if I'm not addressing the correct forum.  Once before this was occurring when the server administrator was running backups of the server and this problem started just after they were in working on the server.  But, of course, the finger is being pointed at the program.
    Thursday, March 06, 2014 4:32 PM

All replies

• Can you try capturing a trace at that time to understand what are queries getting executed against system? run trace from workstation and save info in a local file.

Please Mark This As Answer if it helps to solve the issue Visakh ---------------------------- http://visakhm.blogspot.com/ https://www.facebook.com/VmBlogs

Thursday, March 06, 2014 5:16 PM
  • Thanks for getting back to me.  The problem is that the whole server slows down for approxmately 35 users and the spwho3 tells me what queries were running and how long they took and the cpu usage.  If I run trace on the server I think that will slow things down considerably for every user, won't it? 

Chris

Thursday, March 06, 2014 5:23 PM
  • SERVER SIDE TRACE will be light weight than Client trace. You can use that.

Do you have any massive data insert/delete/update executes on your system?

Thursday, March 06, 2014 5:41 PM
  • I have no massive insert/delete/update executing on my system.  Only one record gets added/deleted/updated at a time.  Most traffic is for read only purposes like reports and all are passthrough queries using views with all tables with nolock.  Also there is no blocking from locks happening on any queries being run.  I'll look into server side trace.  Thanks, C

Chris

Thursday, March 06, 2014 5:58 PM