Error IM002 Data source name not found and no default driver specified

Question

• Hello,

I’m having an issue after publishing Visual Basic.net application I created.  It works fine in Visual Studios 2008, but I get this error message box when installing the program to a target computer – ERROR [IM002][Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manger] Data source name not found and no default driver specified.  I am picking up data from AS400 table using iSeries Access ODBC driver version 12.64.05.00. I am using Windows 7 64 bit Operating System same type of computer as the target computer.  I have added to the target computer User DSN, same as my PC.  If anybody can help me I will really appreciate the help.  Thank you in advance. Below is the config. Deploy

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

<configuration>

<configSections>

</configSections>

<connectionStrings>

<add name="SeminarUpload.My.MySettings.ConnectionString" connectionString="Dsn=QDSN_S10B1163"

providerName="System.Data.Odbc" />

<add name="SeminarUpload.My.MySettings.ConnectionStringNonInventory"

connectionString="Dsn=Inventory" providerName="System.Data.Odbc" />

</connectionStrings>

<system.diagnostics>

<sources>

<!-- This section defines the logging configuration for My.Application.Log -->

<source name="DefaultSource" switchName="DefaultSwitch">

<listeners>

<add name="FileLog"/>

<!-- Uncomment the below section to write to the Application Event Log -->

<!--<add name="EventLog"/>-->

</listeners>

</source>

</sources>

<switches>

<add name="DefaultSwitch" value="Information" />

</switches>

<sharedListeners>

<add name="FileLog"

type="Microsoft.VisualBasic.Logging.FileLogTraceListener, Microsoft.VisualBasic, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a, processorArchitecture=MSIL"

initializeData="FileLogWriter"/>

<!-- Uncomment the below section and replace APPLICATION_NAME with the name of your application to write to the Application Event Log -->

<!--<add name="EventLog" type="System.Diagnostics.EventLogTraceListener" initializeData="APPLICATION_NAME"/> -->

</sharedListeners>

</system.diagnostics>

</configuration>

Monday, August 13, 2012 10:40 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Have you traverse into the registry to examine properties of setting and match things up from there?

For example I have a ODBC setup to access an IBM iSeries library called KSG_SandBox

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ODBC\ODBC.INI\KSG_SandBox

If I were having issues one of the first things I would check (at least in my environment)

Driver: C:\Windows\System32\cwbodbc.dll (even thou it sounds like you have done so double check). IBM iSeries versions can be slightly off and cause headaches.

Does the DefaultLibrary and Defaultpackage exactly match your settings?

If you don't get any other responses (say in the next two to five hours) consider creating a post in ADO .NET Manage Providers forum. Simple use the same title and paste in a link to reference back to this question rather than rewriting the question.

Look at this page and keep an open mind.

IBM ODBC Resource page

BTW I use the .NET native provider for accessing AS400 information and the only common problem I see is users not having proper rights which leads back to what i call a False-error message which might mean the error points to the connection but is really a rights issue.

KSG

• Marked as answer by donalexander Wednesday, August 15, 2012 5:05 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by donalexander Wednesday, August 15, 2012 5:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by donalexander Wednesday, August 15, 2012 5:06 AM
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 9:09 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Have you traverse into the registry to examine properties of setting and match things up from there?

For example I have a ODBC setup to access an IBM iSeries library called KSG_SandBox

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ODBC\ODBC.INI\KSG_SandBox

If I were having issues one of the first things I would check (at least in my environment)

Driver: C:\Windows\System32\cwbodbc.dll (even thou it sounds like you have done so double check). IBM iSeries versions can be slightly off and cause headaches.

Does the DefaultLibrary and Defaultpackage exactly match your settings?

If you don't get any other responses (say in the next two to five hours) consider creating a post in ADO .NET Manage Providers forum. Simple use the same title and paste in a link to reference back to this question rather than rewriting the question.

Look at this page and keep an open mind.

IBM ODBC Resource page

BTW I use the .NET native provider for accessing AS400 information and the only common problem I see is users not having proper rights which leads back to what i call a False-error message which might mean the error points to the connection but is really a rights issue.

KSG

• Marked as answer by donalexander Wednesday, August 15, 2012 5:05 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by donalexander Wednesday, August 15, 2012 5:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by donalexander Wednesday, August 15, 2012 5:06 AM
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 9:09 PM
  • Kevininstructor,

Thanks for the tip I too believe there is something with the iSeries driver, it has always been a pain on other applications (rights, etc.).  I really appreciate the tip and suggestions. I am going to research more on the driver.  Thanks again.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 5:10 AM