Doloto FAQs

General discussion

• Q: How do I make sure that my previous browser activity does not interfere with profiling?

A: To avoid interference, please make sure to clear the browser cache before starting Doloto profiling, no matter which browser you use. In most browsers, this can be done by going to connection settings under Options. In Internet Explorer, using the Developer Toolbar streamlines the process (Ctrl+R is the keystroke). In Firefox, there is an extension called “Clear cache button” that is also quite helpful when using Doloto.

Q: Should I close my browser before profiling with Doloto?
    A: Yes, we recommend that you only have one browser session with a single tab open at the time of profiling to avoid interference. As explained above, please clear your browser cache. Once done profiling, please close the browser.

Q: No files are showing in the profiling output box. What I am doing wrong?

A: Make sure your browser’s proxy is set to http://localhost:8888. For Internet Explorer, Google Chome, and Apple Safari, Doloto changes your system-wide proxy settings to point to this address. If you are using Mozilla Firefox, you should manually change the proxy to http://localhost:8888 by going to connection settings under Firefox options. An Firefox extension you might find helpful to switch back and forth is SwitchProxy tool. As mentioned above, to avoid interference, please make sure to clear the browser cache before starting Doloto profiling, no matter which browser you use.

Q: I am getting a message saying that logfile.doloto doesn’t exist

A: If the profiling run didn’t produce a valid log file, Doloto will ask you to re-execute the profiling stage. Again, this might indictate that your proxy wasn’t set up correctly. Please check your browser settings.

Q: What should I do to profile my application or site?

A: Please use the application in a way that you expect regular users to. For instance, for a mapping application, you might double-click on the map, then ask for directions, then click the print button. Please make an effort to pause for a second or two between these activities.

Q: How does Doloto profile my usage?

A: Doloto instruments JavaScript code from the site you’re trying to profile before it reaches your browser. This way, Doloto will listen to everything that is happening in the browser – it will record every function that is executed, along with its timestamp.

Q: What clustering settings should I choose?

A: We recommend starting with the default clustering strategy, rewriting and then seeing if that works for your type of appliciation. Once you are comfortable with that, you can try more fine-grained profiling. It also helps to examine the clusters and the call graph to see if Doloto has made meaningful decisions as far as what to stub out and what not and that clusters roughly correspond to application features.

Q: How do I deploy the results of Doloto rewriting to my server?

A: The entire output directory can be deployed to your server, including HTML, JavaScript, and cluster files. Doloto does its best to replace references in the HTML files as appropriate, but we recommend that you double-check that the rewritten HTML refers to the JavaScript files. You can deploy the entire directory to your server. 
    Q: HTTPS

Q: All of my traffic seems to be redirected to Doloto during profiling
    A: We recommend that you close all browser windows and just have one open for the purposed of profiling. Alternatively, you can use one browser like Firefox for profiling and another, like IE, for regular browsing.

Q: Shoud I attempt to visit and use multiple sites at the time of profiling?
    A: We recommend that you restrict your attention to a single application or site when you are profiling. Visiting other sites, unless it's inherent in how your application is used, will create unnecessary noise.

Q: How do I test the results of Doloto rewriting for my own site/application

A: We recommend that you deploy the Doloto-rewritten application alongside the original one (by placing it in a parallel directory, for example).

Friday, August 28, 2009 6:50 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Q: How do I make sure that my previous browser activity does not interfere with profiling?

A: To avoid interference, please make sure to clear the browser cache before starting Doloto profiling, no matter which browser you use. In most browsers, this can be done by going to connection settings under Options . In Internet Explorer, using the Developer Toolbar streamlines the process (Ctrl+R is the keystroke). In Firefox, there is an extension called “Clear cache button” that is also quite helpful when using Doloto.

Great FAQs. About this, I have another question. What if I use Google Chrome? Any suggestions?
    Sunday, June 06, 2010 9:31 AM