Visual Studio project conversion

Question

• Hello,

I am looking to upgrade VS to 2012 from 2005.

I downloaded the VS 2012 Professional Trial, and when I open a VB Windows Application the conversion has incompatibility issues. The Unsupported files are shown below.

I am aware that the vdproj is unsupported, but I am not aware as to why the vbproj is. Is it at possible to convert a VB Windows Application from VS 2005 to VS 2012? Is VS 2010 my only option for the latest version of VS for VS 2005 projects?

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 8:55 PM

All replies

• Hi Rick_Deckard,

I'll involve some senior engineers into this thread.

Thanks for your patients.

Shanks Zen
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, September 06, 2012 9:26 AM
  • Hi Rick,

First, I think generally VS2005 projects can be upgraded to VS2012 without problems.  I would recommend first refer to this MSDN doc to troubleshot the issue, http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms185327.aspx

Besides, if the problem still exists and also if it's convenient for you, please upload the problematic project to http://skydrive.live.com , so we can help you do some troubleshotting.

Good day!

Thanks

Michael Sun [MSFT]

Thursday, September 06, 2012 9:48 AM
  • Hello Michael,

This error is not specific to this one VS 2005 project, I get the same error with the vbproj file when I create a Windows Application in VS 2010 and then try to open it in VS 2012. I'm testing VS 2012 Professional and it looks to be a very limited version. I downloaded it from the link below.

http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/11/en-us/downloads#testpro

I can only create a blank project and I'm limited to creating only 6 new item types for my project. Is this version of VS 2012 able to open a previous VS project?

Friday, September 07, 2012 4:57 PM
  • Hi Rick,

The problem is quite strange.  I think your download link is correct.  Could you please let us know your Windows version?  Also, I suspect your VS2012 installation has some problems.   I would recommend you uninstall and reinstall it.  

Good day!

Thanks

Michael Sun [MSFT]

Monday, September 10, 2012 6:44 AM
  • Hi Michael,

I have uninstalled and reinstalled VS 2012, as well as installed it on another machine and I still encounter the same problem. I'm using Windows 7 Professional 64 bit on both machines.

Should VS 2012 be able to open a VS 2010 project, or even a VS 2005 project? If so I would very much like to get the trial or some kind of demo working so a decision can be made on purchasing a newer version of Visual Studio.

Monday, September 10, 2012 5:31 PM
  • Hi,

I am sure that VS 2012 can successfully open the old VS version files.  However, one exception would be the vdproj files.  I read your first post again and the error message dialog shows that there is a vdproj file in your solution, right?   I think vdproj is not supported VS2012.  For detail, please see http://blogs.msdn.com/b/buckh/archive/2011/03/17/visual-studio-setup-projects-vdproj-will-not-ship-with-future-versions-of-vs.aspx

For regular VB projects, I am sure VS2012 supports them well.

Good day!

Thanks

Michael Sun [MSFT]

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 2:23 AM
  • Hi Michael,

Yes, but if you read it properly you would see that I am well aware of the unsupported file type vDproj, my question was about why vBproj is unsupported. I get this error for projects created in VS 2005 and 2010 when I try to open the projects in VS 2012, and these projects do not have the vDproj file type. 

Can you please tell me why vBproj is getting an unsupported error? I am completely unable to open any project created in VS 2010 in VS 2012.

• Edited by Rick_Deckard Tuesday, September 11, 2012 6:12 PM
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 3:34 PM
  • Hi Rick,

Sorry, I missed the key point in your post.   However, I am sure vbproj is supported in VS2012.  Could you please send me a demo of the vbproj for testing?   You may directly ping me at misun@microsoft.com 

Good day!

Thanks

Michael Sun [MSFT]

Thursday, September 13, 2012 9:25 AM