Windows Service process terminated unexpectedly

Question

• Hi,

I did a windows service using VS2005 (VB), and I had installed in couples of windows 2000, windows vista, windows XP and SP2. They worked fine.

However, I am unable to start the windows service when I tried installing it in some Windows XP and SP2.

Whenever the windows service starts, it will just shutdown by itself immediately with this Error:

Could not start the 'windows service name' on Local Computer.

Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly.

I have no idea what caused this and how.

I also tried disabling the windows firewall, uninstall windows defender, stopping anti-spywares, anti-virus.

Patch XP to SP2. But it still does not solve this problem.

Any possible solutions or idea anyone?

Thanks

Elvin

Monday, March 03, 2008 5:31 AM

Answers

• Somehow, I released a new version of windows service (which I do not remember changing anything much except for minor addons), the problem has gone away. Weird. But well, so far it is good now.

Wednesday, March 05, 2008 7:17 AM

All replies

• Usually that error occurs when the process itself has died unexpectedly.  This could be caused by an uncaught exception somewhere in the code.  Check the system event logs to see if there is an exception being thrown.  Or add code to catch any exceptions and report them.

Chris

Monday, March 03, 2008 7:39 PM
  • I had tried placing a exception in the overall operation. But there is no report.

And most of the time when my application died due to uncaught expcetion, it normally will have a .netframwork error in the eventlog application.

However this time, it only shows in the eventlog system. and nothing at eventlog application.

There is also nothing in the eventlog system that shows any errors or anything except for that 1067.

Thanks
    Elvin

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 2:05 AM
  • Somehow, I released a new version of windows service (which I do not remember changing anything much except for minor addons), the problem has gone away. Weird. But well, so far it is good now.

Wednesday, March 05, 2008 7:17 AM