Metro IE disapears, need copy of Internet Explorer shortcut

Question

• Hello,
    I was wondering if anyone could do something easy for me. Recently my Immersive IE dissapeared, and browsing thru Microsoft's forum I found http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/6212fafa-9aca-404e-b268-a5af13eddf1b Would it be possible for anyone to zip up the Internet Explorer shortcut in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and check if there's also one in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories (which would need to be copied/zipped also)? If you could just do that for me, it would be a huge help. Also, it would probably work best if you were on 64 bit, but I don't think it should matter.
    Thanks a million,
    Matthew         

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 2:50 AM

Answers

• I took procmon records of activity within iexplore.exe:Searching for "Bing" and clicking the Internet Explorer app (starting up): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57765044/Mon.PML

That seems a bit vague.   E.g. searching for  bing   here would result in 0 Apps 0 Settings and 2800 Files.   What do you see?   How?  If you are saying you are finding  1 Apps  and it is  Bing  that could imply that you do have a pinned IE Favorite tile which is named  Bing (or perhaps had such a tile and then unpinned it).

In fact, your trace sort of supports this idea.   Remember I mentioned seeing a Command line switch -ServerName:DefaultBrowserServer  in the context of a Metro IE diagnostic (in that case via Task Manager)?   There is one in your trace too.

After it starts up, clear the Procmon (Ctrl-X) and pin the search for "Bing" to the Start Menu (or attempt to, anyhow): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57765044/MonPin.PML

They are both the same PID, so I will assume they are the same thing.   And when I apply a filter of  Detail Contains pin   I can see that indeed you were probably doing something with the Pin function.   If you gave me more details about what that is I would try to simulate it for you and tell you how your trace compared with mine.

Hang on.  It looks as if you have FireFox installed and let it take over some of the filetype associations?   I won't try simulating that.   Did you really try using the  Default Programs, Set Program Access... Custom... Internet Explorer  and the  regsvr32  command I suggested?   Perhaps you should try uninstalling all third-party browsers first too?

In any case, if you want to trace a Pin to Start Screen operation I would be pretty sure that you would need to be including all records for  explorer.exe  at least, if not a few transferring services too, e.g. to see if it worked.   It's strange IMO that you are showing Profiling records for other processes than iexplore.exe but no other records for them.   However, I have seen odd exclusions like that myself, particularly on W8, mostly when I start ProcMon as just a normal task, so to try to avoid such discrepancies I often try to elevate it or just start it via the Administrator: Command Prompt.

HTH

Robert
    ---

• Marked as answer by Matthew_Thepc Saturday, January 21, 2012 6:43 PM
    Friday, January 20, 2012 11:29 PM
  • there should be a list of Metro Apps. Click the one that says "Internet Explorer"

As I said, I don't see that and so I suspect that BING is a tile that you created (or perhaps one that you renamed)?   E.g. you might have taken the  Internet Explorer.lnk  file and renamed it  BING.lnk  to produce what you are observing.   In that case, to see  Internet Explorer.lnk  again, just undo that rename or make a copy of that shortcut file with a name you would prefer to use.

OTOH as I also mentioned (and FWIW suspect is more likely) it might be the equivalent of an Internet Shortcut (aka pinned Frequent URL) and I haven't yet figured out what the implementation of those are--except that they are probably not conventional .URL files and that as I mentioned before they seem to have numeric only identifiers which make them much more difficult to correlate when you are just trying to match tiles and eyecatchers in a TileCache*.dat file.

Robert
    ---

OMG THANK YOU!

Your hunch about Firefox was completely right - It was ALL Firefox's problem.

Here's how I fixed it:

1. Completely update Firefox
    2. Restart
    3. turn on or off windows features -> UNCHECK Internet Explorer 10
    4. Restart
    5. on or off windows features -> CHECK Internet Explorer 10
    6. Restart

Search for "Internet Explorer" and - voila! It's there. also the pinning of sites and EVERYTHING works fine afterwards :P

THANK YOU AGAIN,

Matthew

Saturday, January 21, 2012 6:43 PM

All replies

• Hello MAScodes,

If you have lost your Metro Internet, try a System Restore to when you know the Immersive IE was on your operating system.

Go to Start page. Type in System Restore.
    Click on Settings on the right side.
    On the left side of the page, it has entries for the different options.
    Click on Restore system files and settings from a Restore point.
    Click Next.
    Click on the file for the Date and Time to before you had the issue with .exe files.
    The next page confirms the restore point.
    Click on Finish button.
    Your system will be restored to the time and date before you were experiencing the issue.

Thanks,

Marilyn
    • Proposed as answer by Irfanfare Wednesday, January 11, 2012 5:14 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Matthew_Thepc Thursday, January 12, 2012 12:33 AM
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 3:19 AM
  • my Immersive IE disappeared

Would it be possible for anyone to zip up the Internet Explorer shortcut in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs      

Let's check your assumption.   When I start IE Metro and look for its Command line in Task Manager I see:

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -ServerName:DefaultBrowserServer

But when I look at the IE shortcut you think you want there is no sign of the above switch there:

<cmd_output>

C:\ProgramData>dir/a/b/s Internet*
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Internet Explorer.lnk

C:\ProgramData>type "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Internet Explorer.lnk"
    L   ☺¶☻     └      Fö♥ ☻                                    ☺               % @ % w i n d i r % \ s y s t e m 3 2 \ i e f r a m e . d l l , - 5
    5 1 7 6 § % H O M E D R I V E % % H O M E P A T H % ╨             á-   1SPSΓèXF╝L8C╗ⁿ‼ô&ÿm╬◄        ‼           ù   1SPSU(Lƒyƒ9K¿╨ß╘-ß╒≤Y   ♣
     ▼   #   M i c r o s o f t . I n t e r n e t E x p l o r e r . D e f a u l t     ◄   ♂    ♂       ◄   ↕    ‼   ☺           ¶♥  ☺  á%ProgramFiles
    %\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
                                                                                                           % P r o g r a m F i l e s % \ I n t e r n
     e t   E x p l o r e r \ i e x p l o r e . e x e

</cmd_output>

When I Run... iexplore.exe (or actually, start it using my keyboard's Home key), in its Properties I see the above .lnk

So, what exactly are you missing? That shortcut from that directory? Then it looks as if it would be sufficient to  Run... iexplore.exe and if necessary pin it to your Taskbar.

Otherwise I doubt that the Start Menu is how that  -ServerName:  switch gets added when I use that shortcut via the Start Screen's IE tile.   In fact, though, I have an idea, about what might be doing it from a previous thread...

So, I have looked in my  TileCacheStartView*.dat  file and found that the IE tile apparently equates to  Microsoft.InternetExplorer.Default  and I suspect that refers to a registry value name...  E.g. something like this:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ActivatableClasses\Package\DefaultBrowser_NOPUBLISHERID\Server\DefaultBrowserServer\AppUserModelId   DefaultBrowser_NOPUBLISHERID!Microsoft.InternetExplorer.Default

(found via regedit.exe find; ProcMon would not show it.)

Do you have one of those? 

If you do, I suspect trying the  shutdown.exe /s /full  procedure I referred to in that previous thread could be a way of repairing (or at least rewriting) your Tile*.dat files to then see if that changed your symptom.

BTW even after closing the IE Metro tile with Alt-F4 and waiting for its iexplore.exe task to go away and then restarting it, this was the first instance of Microsoft.InternetExplorer that ProcMon found:

HKCR\IE.HTTP\AppUserModelID

No clue why it would be looking there immediately. But ProcMon often truncates long Detail values so perhaps something which would make that reference clearer would be available with a longer Detail field (or ones with what I was looking for closer to where they start)?   In any case, that could suggest something else that you might be missing to make your tiles work:  file types.   E.g. what do you see (in a cmd window) with:  ftype  |  find /i  "http"

<voice actor="Dorothy"> Toto, we aren't in Kansas any more  </ voice> 

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 7:02 PM
  • my Immersive IE disappeared

Would it be possible for anyone to zip up the Internet Explorer shortcut in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs      

Let's check your assumption.   When I start IE Metro and look for its Command line in Task Manager I see:

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -ServerName:DefaultBrowserServer

But when I look at the IE shortcut you think you want there is no sign of the above switch there:

<cmd_output>

C:\ProgramData>dir/a/b/s Internet*

C:\ProgramData>type "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Internet Explorer.lnk"
    L   ☺¶☻     └      Fö♥ ☻                                    ☺               % @ % w i n d i r % \ s y s t e m 3 2 \ i e f r a m e . d l l , - 5
    5 1 7 6 § % H O M E D R I V E % % H O M E P A T H % ╨             á-   1SPSΓèXF╝L8C╗ⁿ‼ô&ÿm╬◄        ‼           ù   1SPSU(Lƒyƒ9K¿╨ß╘-ß╒≤Y   ♣
     ▼   #   M i c r o s o f t . I n t e r n e t E x p l o r e r . D e f a u l t     ◄   ♂    ♂       ◄   ↕    ‼   ☺           ¶♥  ☺  á%ProgramFiles
    %\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

</cmd_output>

When I Run... iexplore.exe (or actually, start it using my keyboard's Home key), in its Properties I see the above .lnk

So, what exactly are you missing? That shortcut from that directory? Then it looks as if it would be sufficient to  Run... iexplore.exe and if necessary pin it to your Taskbar.

Otherwise I doubt that the Start Menu is how that  -ServerName:  switch gets added when I use that shortcut via the Start Screen's IE tile.   In fact, though, I have an idea, about what might be doing it from a previous thread...

So, I have looked in my  TileCacheStartView*.dat  file and found that the IE tile apparently equates to  Microsoft.InternetExplorer.Default  and I suspect that refers to a registry value name...  E.g. something like this:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ActivatableClasses\Package\DefaultBrowser_NOPUBLISHERID\Server\DefaultBrowserServer\AppUserModelId   DefaultBrowser_NOPUBLISHERID!Microsoft.InternetExplorer.Default

(found via regedit.exe find; ProcMon would not show it.)

Do you have one of those? 

If you do, I suspect trying the  shutdown.exe /s /full  procedure I referred to in that previous thread could be a way of repairing (or at least rewriting) your Tile*.dat files to then see if that changed your symptom.

BTW even after closing the IE Metro tile with Alt-F4 and waiting for its iexplore.exe task to go away and then restarting it, this was the first instance of Microsoft.InternetExplorer that ProcMon found:

HKCR\IE.HTTP\AppUserModelID

No clue why it would be looking there immediately. But ProcMon often truncates long Detail values so perhaps something which would make that reference clearer would be available with a longer Detail field (or ones with what I was looking for closer to where they start)?   In any case, that could suggest something else that you might be missing to make your tiles work:  file types.   E.g. what do you see (in a cmd window) with:  ftype  |  find /i  "http"

<voice actor="Dorothy"> Toto, we aren't in Kansas any more  </ voice> 

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Firstly, I would like to thank you for taking the time to respond to my question.

The reason I was assuming that a shortcut would work is simply because I was having relatively the same symptoms as is described on http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/6212fafa-9aca-404e-b268-a5af13eddf1b

To be more clear about my problem, here's exactly what happened.

I decided to start a new user account and move my files over to that one. A little while after I did this, it became evident that the tiles for "Internet Explorer," "Control Panel," and "Remote Desktop" had disapeared. I also noticed that the Internet Explorer that I always have pinned to my taskbar was disapeared. Also Internet Explorer did not show up in any searches. To remedy this, I pinned "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" to my taskbar. A little while later I noticed that "Internet Explorer" was showing up in the list of apps I could search with (Bring up the charms and then choose search, and under the box it showed "Internet Explorer" as an option). When searching with Internet Explorer, it brings up Bing search results for the term in the Metro version that i'm trying to get back. So I tried to pin Bing to my start menu from within the Metro Internet Explorer, but it didn't work. Interestingly enough, when I attempt to pin something in the Metro IE, it does not show a colored tile in the "preview", it just shows an editable title. When pinning, it doesn't actually pin to the start menu.

So to recap, I can access the Metro IE, but only by searching with Windows Search. it is impossible (AFAIK) to pin a website or the tile itself to my start menu from this Metro IE.

OK, so now I ran the shutdown command that you specified and it didn't help. I do have the registry key specified, and the values of all keys inside HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ActivatableClasses\Package\DefaultBrowser_NOPUBLISHERID\Server\DefaultBrowserServer\AppUserModelId are follows:

(Default) -> value not set

ActivatableClasses -> DefaultBrowser.DefaultBrowserActivatableClass
    AppUserModeId -> DefaultBrowser_NOPUBLISHERID!Microsoft.InternetExplorer.Default
    ExePath -> C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    IdentityType -> 2
    Instancing -> 0
    Permissions -> a lot of numbers/etc, starting with "01 00 04 80 30 00 00 00 3c"

ftype | find /i "http"

returns:

http="C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -nohome
    https="C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -nohome
    IE.HTTP="C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -nohome
    IE.HTTPS="C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -nohome

To me, it feels as if Windows has just kind of forgotten that IE is installed (O:). Maybe if it was possible to reinstall IE10 it would fix itself?

Any ideas? If not, as a last resort, would it be at all possible to even try just sending the shortcut?

Thanks,

Matthew S

Thursday, January 12, 2012 12:17 AM
  • The reason I was assuming that a shortcut would work is simply because I was having relatively the same symptoms as is described on http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/6212fafa-9aca-404e-b268-a5af13eddf1b

I decided to start a new user account and move my files over to that one. A little while after I did this, it became evident that the tiles for "Internet Explorer," "Control Panel," and "Remote Desktop" had disappeared.

That incident was being blamed on the third-party cleaner.   Do you think your case is like that too?  E.g. whatever you used to "move your files over" omitted some and then once they were found missing your  TileCache*   changed accordingly?   BTW notice that my experience with the shutdown.exe /s /full would suggest that unless you had done that before your "move" that you would not be capturing the current state of your Start Screen (at least in the cache).

I also noticed that the Internet Explorer that I always have pinned to my taskbar was disapeared. Also Internet Explorer did not show up in any searches. To remedy this, I pinned "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" to my taskbar. A little while later I noticed that "Internet Explorer" was showing up in the list of apps I could search with (Bring up the charms and then choose search, and under the box it showed "Internet Explorer" as an option).

I'm not sure if what you describe there has anything abnormal.   E.g. it could describe what I see too.   Did you try searching for  iexplore.exe  too?   FWIW that is found in  Apps.    When I right-click it there is an option to "Pin to Taskbar".   Not even that one does anything for me.   So I think that if you want to pin an app to the Taskbar you may need to just start it and then pin it in the normal (right-click Taskbar icon) manner (as you did).   However, an additional difference in my case which might account for my observations is that I have two monitors (my Tablet and a widescreen LCD display) and maintain two separate Taskbar views for them.

I have two different kinds of tiles for representing and starting IE Metro, most easily distinguished by their right-click menus.  The original one labeled Internet Explorer has an Advanced Pin to Taskbar option which doesn't work any better than the one I have already mentioned.   It also has an Unpin option which presumably could allow me to simulate your condition--which I would rather not test right now.  

Other IE related tiles are Metro Favorites which I pinned.   Their right-click shows only two options, Remove and Unpin.   I think that both refer to their visibility and access in both the Metro IE Frequent and Pinned lists and the Start Menu itself.   E.g.  Pinned shows things that I have Tiles for.  Remove presumably would delete one out of both lists and out of the Start Screen--e.g. perhaps analogous to the Your Most Popular Sites deletion function in the Desktop IE's about:tabs page.   I don't particularly want to experiment with those either.

A strange one for me is  About:Blank.   E.g. when I try to Run... that with Win-R Metro wants to send me to the App Store to find out about the "about protocol".   But I have Blank Page pinned as a Favorite (as a representation I suppose of my normal IE Home page) and when I click on the Blank Page tile  about:blank  is what is shown in the "Address bar" .  So I wonder how it is represented as a tile?   E.g. knowing that might help you find one in your Start Screen or help you put one there.

When searching with Internet Explorer, it brings up Bing search results for the termin the Metro version that i'm trying to get back. So I tried to pin Bing to my start menu from within the Metro Internet Explorer, but it didn't work. Interestingly enough, when I attempt to pin something in the Metro IE, it does not show a colored tile in the "preview", it just shows an editable title. When pinning, it doesn't actually pin to the start menu.

So to recap, I can access the Metro IE, but only by searching with Windows Search. it is impossible (AFAIK) to pin a website or the tile itself to my start menu from this Metro IE.

One thing I would say about this is that each time I pin something it is always found at the bottom of the list, so then I have to press End and drag it back to where I want to use it.  So make sure that you fully scan your Start Screen to decide if something got pinned or not.   Also, I'm not sure if "Preview" is what I would call where I see what I called the Frequent and Pinned lists.   The UI is pretty quirky IMO.   E.g. from a Fullscreen page after using IE Metro for a while a right-click shows a set of thumbnails (e.g. analogous to a Back History list) at the top and an Address bar at the bottom.   Click in the Address bar to see the same two lists that I am referring to.   Do you see any listed under Pinned?   If not, I think that would explain why you wouldn't have seen any tiles for any web pages in your Start Screen yet.

OK, so now I ran the shutdown command that you specified and it didn't help.

But now if you browse your TileCache...  files they should at least be in synch with what your Start Screen is showing you.   For example, I have my IE tiles in a cluster headed by the original one.  In the TileCacheDefault*.dat I see a  microsoft.InternetExplorer.Default  (in doublebyte characters) and then a set of numbers which correspond to the number of pages I had pinned (for the timestamp of the file--I haven't done a shutdown.exe /s /full since then but have changed the Start Screen in this regard since then.)   It's a surprise for me to see just numbers there and not anything more recognizable than that.   That will make it harder for you to diagnose your case, especially if you didn't cluster your pinned pages the way that I did.

Any ideas? If not, as a last resort, would it be at all possible to even try just sending the shortcut?

I'd prefer to try to help you diagnose your case and devise a workaround.   E.g. since you can already pin iexplore.exe to your Taskbar you probably already have what you are requesting although perhaps you might need to copy it somewhere else to make it more useful.   FWIW I just fixed my symptom by dragging an IE tab to my Tablet's Taskbar.   Only then would the right-click Pin and Unpin to Taskbar options start working again.  So, as I suspected my symptom was related to having two separate Taskbar lists.   I had ProcMon running while I did that and found a  WriteFile  for it which suggests that if you did it too you would find a .lnk (not a .website) shortcut here:

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar\Internet Explorer.lnk

HTH

Robert
    ---

Thursday, January 12, 2012 9:17 PM
  • The reason I was assuming that a shortcut would work is simply because I was having relatively the same symptoms as is described on http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/6212fafa-9aca-404e-b268-a5af13eddf1b

I decided to start a new user account and move my files over to that one. A little while after I did this, it became evident that the tiles for "Internet Explorer," "Control Panel," and "Remote Desktop" had disappeared.

That incident was being blamed on the third-party cleaner.   Do you think your case is like that too?  E.g. whatever you used to "move your files over" omitted some and then once they were found missing your  TileCache*   changed accordingly?   BTW notice that my experience with the shutdown.exe /s /full would suggest that unless you had done that before your "move" that you would not be capturing the current state of your Start Screen (at least in the cache).

I also noticed that the Internet Explorer that I always have pinned to my taskbar was disapeared. Also Internet Explorer did not show up in any searches. To remedy this, I pinned "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" to my taskbar. A little while later I noticed that "Internet Explorer" was showing up in the list of apps I could search with (Bring up the charms and then choose search, and under the box it showed "Internet Explorer" as an option).

I'm not sure if what you describe there has anything abnormal.   E.g. it could describe what I see too.   Did you try searching for  iexplore.exe  too?   FWIW that is found in  Apps.    When I right-click it there is an option to "Pin to Taskbar".   Not even that one does anything for me.   So I think that if you want to pin an app to the Taskbar you may need to just start it and then pin it in the normal (right-click Taskbar icon) manner (as you did).   However, an additional difference in my case which might account for my observations is that I have two monitors (my Tablet and a widescreen LCD display) and maintain two separate Taskbar views for them.

I have two different kinds of tiles for representing and starting IE Metro, most easily distinguished by their right-click menus.  The original one labeled Internet Explorer has an Advanced Pin to Taskbar option which doesn't work any better than the one I have already mentioned.   It also has an Unpin option which presumably could allow me to simulate your condition--which I would rather not test right now.  

Other IE related tiles are Metro Favorites which I pinned.   Their right-click shows only two options, Remove and Unpin.   I think that both refer to their visibility and access in both the Metro IE Frequent and Pinned lists and the Start Menu itself.   E.g.  Pinned shows things that I have Tiles for.  Remove presumably would delete one out of both lists and out of the Start Screen--e.g. perhaps analogous to the Your Most Popular Sites deletion function in the Desktop IE's about:tabs page.   I don't particularly want to experiment with those either.

A strange one for me is  About:Blank.   E.g. when I try to Run... that with Win-R Metro wants to send me to the App Store to find out about the "about protocol".   But I have Blank Page pinned as a Favorite (as a representation I suppose of my normal IE Home page) and when I click on the Blank Page tile  about:blank  is what is shown in the "Address bar" .  So I wonder how it is represented as a tile?   E.g. knowing that might help you find one in your Start Screen or help you put one there.

When searching with Internet Explorer, it brings up Bing search results for the termin the Metro version that i'm trying to get back. So I tried to pin Bing to my start menu from within the Metro Internet Explorer, but it didn't work. Interestingly enough, when I attempt to pin something in the Metro IE, it does not show a colored tile in the "preview", it just shows an editable title. When pinning, it doesn't actually pin to the start menu.

One thing I would say about this is that each time I pin something it is always found at the bottom of the list, so then I have to press End and drag it back to where I want to use it.  So make sure that you fully scan your Start Screen to decide if something got pinned or not.   Also, I'm not sure if "Preview" is what I would call where I see what I called the Frequent and Pinned lists.   The UI is pretty quirky IMO.   E.g. from a Fullscreen page after using IE Metro for a while a right-click shows a set of thumbnails (e.g. analogous to a Back History list) at the top and an Address bar at the bottom.   Click in the Address bar to see the same two lists that I am referring to.   Do you see any listed under Pinned?   If not, I think that would explain why you wouldn't have seen any tiles for any web pages in your Start Screen yet.

OK, so now I ran the shutdown command that you specified and it didn't help.

But now if you browse your TileCache...  files they should at least be in synch with what your Start Screen is showing you.   For example, I have my IE tiles in a cluster headed by the original one.  In the TileCacheDefault*.dat I see a  microsoft.InternetExplorer.Default  (in doublebyte characters) and then a set of numbers which correspond to the number of pages I had pinned (for the timestamp of the file--I haven't done a shutdown.exe /s /full since then but have changed the Start Screen in this regard since then.)   It's a surprise for me to see just numbers there and not anything more recognizable than that.   That will make it harder for you to diagnose your case, especially if you didn't cluster your pinned pages the way that I did.

I'd prefer to try to help you diagnose your case and devise a workaround.   E.g. since you can already pin iexplore.exe to your Taskbar you probably already have what you are requesting although perhaps you might need to copy it somewhere else to make it more useful.   FWIW I just fixed my symptom by dragging an IE tab to my Tablet's Taskbar.   Only then would the right-click Pin and Unpin to Taskbar options start working again.  So, as I suspected my symptom was related to having two separate Taskbar lists.   I had ProcMon running while I did that and found a  WriteFile  for it which suggests that if you did it too you would find a .lnk (not a .website) shortcut here:

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar\Internet Explorer.lnk

HTH

Robert
    ---

firstly, I didn't use anything to "move it over" (I merely copied and pasted), so I guess you're probably right in saying that what happened was unrelated.

Searching for iexplore.exe (and running it) opens up the Desktop Internet Explorer. Even looking over all of my Apps (Search for something then delete all of it on the Start screen) Internet Explorer doesn't show up. The "unpin" option that you've described should still make the app available when searching. It also wouldn't cause my desktop internet explorer to disappear. I've never used the unpin option.

Yes, I've looked all over my Start screen :) You don't understand what I'm calling the "Preview"; go to a website, click the "Pin" button, and then see how there's like a pink/blue/red/etc. background on the little box that pops up? There's no background on mine. It just shows a textbox that lets me edit the text of the pined tile. The "Pinned" list in Internet Explorer shows "You haven't pinned any pages"

Could you point me towards the location of TileCacheDefault*.dat?

Yes, the file %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar\Internet Explorer.lnk is on my computer. There is no Internet Explorer.website in that folder.

Thanks again for your help,

Matthew

Friday, January 13, 2012 12:13 AM
  • firstly, I didn't use anything to "move it over" (I merely copied and pasted), so I guess you're probably right in saying that what happened was unrelated.

Then perhaps you missed the  TileCache*.dat  files completely?   Did you check for them before you did the  shutdown.exe /s  /full?  E.g. they don't show up in an Explorer window or even in an elevated Notepad.exe Open dialog for me so I have to use an Administrator: Command Prompt to open them with Notepad.exe 

Searching for iexplore.exe (and running it) opens up the Desktop Internet Explorer. 

Good.   So you can pin that to your Taskbar?   Then when you search again and right click on it see if in the right-click Advanced menu you can then Unpin it.   That would be similar to what I described when I said I had to drag a tab down to the Taskbar to see an IE icon on my Tablet's Taskbar.  Actually I just realized that I probably could have had the same effect by switching the Start Screen to my Main monitor whose Taskbar already had an IE icon and tried the same thing with it.   ; )

You don't understand what I'm calling the "Preview"; go to a website, click the "Pin" button, and then see how there's like a pink/blue/red/etc. background on the little box that pops up? There's no background on mine. It just shows a textbox that lets me edit the text of the pined tile. The "Pinned" list in Internet Explorer shows "You haven't pinned any pages" 

Interesting.   Thanks for clarifying.  I had not noticed that feature before (or obviously tried to use it).   However, that is not exactly what I see when I do that.  I get a thumbnail of an IE Metro icon.   Oh, now I see what you mean.  I just tried it with a different page and got a different color.   The background color of the thumbnail corresponds to the color of the tile in the IE Frequent and Pinned lists.   Strange that it only shows the page's favicon in the main lists and not in that thumbnail.

So where are you getting the page to show you that button?  Do you have any in your Frequent list?  What color are they?   Do you at least see the Pin to Start button too?  BTW when I hover over that, it changes color which I guess is more proof that it is functional.

As I mentioned above, I find the easiest way to use it is via an Administrator: Command Prompt.   E.g. elevate a cmd.exe window.

Then enter:

cd %LOCALAPPDATA%

and

dir/a/b/s  TileCache*.dat

Then right-click Mark and select the one you want to open, press Enter (to do the Copy)

and then enter:

notepad.exe "

Then right-click Paste.  Type the closing " and press Enter.

Yes, the file %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar\Internet Explorer.lnk is on my computer. There is no Internet Explorer.website in that folder.

Sorry for the confusion.  I only mentioned  .website  to express surprise that dragging a *tab* down to the Taskbar did not result in one of those (IE9) shortcuts.  It created a  .lnk  shortcut which is what you want.   And the one that you found is also probably what you want too but maybe not in the right place.

E.g. still in your elevated cmd window see what the same search in %ProgramData% gives.   FWIW here's mine:

<cmd_output>

C:\ProgramData>dir/a/b/s Internet?Explorer*.lnk

</cmd_output>

and when I do a check of both that and the one I just created in  Quick Launch\User Pinned\Taskbar  they have the same properties.  So I suspect you would see in ProcMon that it first tried to find one there and then just created one where you found it (or maybe there is a cached copy somewhere else which lets it have the same Date Modified and Size. <w>)

So, if you don't have that one, I would copy the one you do have there.   Then see if your Search works any differently.

Good luck

Robert
    ---

Friday, January 13, 2012 3:49 AM
  • firstly, I didn't use anything to "move it over" (I merely copied and pasted), so I guess you're probably right in saying that what happened was unrelated.

Then perhaps you missed the  TileCache*.dat  files completely?   Did you check for them before you did the  shutdown.exe /s  /full?  E.g. they don't show up in an Explorer window or even in an elevated Notepad.exe Open dialog for me so I have to use an Administrator: Command Prompt to open them with Notepad.exe 

Searching for iexplore.exe (and running it) opens up the Desktop Internet Explorer. 

Good.   So you can pin that to your Taskbar?   Then when you search again and right click on it see if in the right-click Advanced menu you can then Unpin it.   That would be similar to what I described when I said I had to drag a tab down to the Taskbar to see an IE icon on my Tablet's Taskbar.  Actually I just realized that I probably could have had the same effect by switching the Start Screen to my Main monitor whose Taskbar already had an IE icon and tried the same thing with it.   ; )

You don't understand what I'm calling the "Preview"; go to a website, click the "Pin" button, and then see how there's like a pink/blue/red/etc. background on the little box that pops up? There's no background on mine. It just shows a textbox that lets me edit the text of the pined tile. The "Pinned" list in Internet Explorer shows "You haven't pinned any pages" 

Interesting.   Thanks for clarifying.  I had not noticed that feature before (or obviously tried to use it).   However, that is not exactly what I see when I do that.  I get a thumbnail of an IE Metro icon.   Oh, now I see what you mean.  I just tried it with a different page and got a different color.   The background color of the thumbnail corresponds to the color of the tile in the IE Frequent and Pinned lists.   Strange that it only shows the page's favicon in the main lists and not in that thumbnail.

So where are you getting the page to show you that button?  Do you have any in your Frequent list?  What color are they?   Do you at least see the Pin to Start button too?  BTW when I hover over that, it changes color which I guess is more proof that it is functional.

As I mentioned above, I find the easiest way to use it is via an Administrator: Command Prompt.   E.g. elevate a cmd.exe window.

Then enter:

cd %LOCALAPPDATA%

and

dir/a/b/s  TileCache*.dat

Then right-click Mark and select the one you want to open, press Enter (to do the Copy)

and then enter:

notepad.exe "

Then right-click Paste.  Type the closing " and press Enter.

Sorry for the confusion.  I only mentioned  .website  to express surprise that dragging a *tab* down to the Taskbar did not result in one of those (IE9) shortcuts.  It created a  .lnk  shortcut which is what you want.   And the one that you found is also probably what you want too but maybe not in the right place.

E.g. still in your elevated cmd window see what the same search in %ProgramData% gives.   FWIW here's mine:

<cmd_output>

C:\ProgramData>dir/a/b/s Internet?Explorer*.lnk

</cmd_output>

and when I do a check of both that and the one I just created in  Quick Launch\User Pinned\Taskbar  they have the same properties.  So I suspect you would see in ProcMon that it first tried to find one there and then just created one where you found it (or maybe there is a cached copy somewhere else which lets it have the same Date Modified and Size. <w>)

So, if you don't have that one, I would copy the one you do have there.   Then see if your Search works any differently.

Good luck

Robert
    ---

Yes, I have the desktop Internet Explorer pinned to my taskbar, that's all working fine. What I want is a way to pin the Metro Internet Explorer to my Start screen.

The "pin" button is shown to me when I right-click to bring up the Internet Explorer menu, along with the refresh/addressbar/etc. options. My Frequent List has a few pages that all have different background colors. Yes I see the pin to start button, and hovering over it changes it to black.

Doing the command in question responds with

C:\Users\matthewmsft\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\TileCacheDefault-3
    383187_76.dat
    C:\Users\matthewmsft\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\TileCacheLogo-3383
    468_96.dat
    C:\Users\matthewmsft\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\TileCacheStartView
    -3382953_76.dat
    C:\Users\matthewmsft\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\TileCacheTickle-33
    83343_76.dat

which one should I choose? 

pinning the Internet Explorer that I have on my Taskbar to the Start screen (and then launching it from the Start Screen) launches the Desktop Internet Explorer. If you go into C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and right-click properties on any Metro app's shortcut, it shows the path as "notused", whereas the pin for my Taskbar's internet explorer's app is "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" so that might be why it doesn't work.

Thanks,

Matthew

Friday, January 13, 2012 4:24 AM
  • Yes, I have the desktop Internet Explorer pinned to my taskbar, that's all working fine.   What I want is a way to pin the Metro Internet Explorer to my Start screen.

I was hoping that having the  .lnk  shortcut in the right location would be enough.   However, I just noticed in the "type" I gave you of mine above that it does have  Microsoft.InternetExplorer.Default  embedded in it which is a bit like the Metro app name that I see in the TileCache*.dat files.   Does a type of yours not show that string in there too?   Otherwise I guess you may be right about needing to get a copy of one from somebody.  But if so, this is really stupid IMO because doing a dump of it that way is the only way to see that the shortcut appears to have some kind of Metro association.

How about your  Control.exe?   Was that one missing in your case too?   I wouldn't care if I Removed mine to see how it goes and (hopefully) comes back.   Looks like it is a separate program though, so not as useful as an analogy for the IE/IE Metro case.

<cmd_output>

C:\ProgramData>type "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Immersive Control Panel.lnk"
    L   ☺¶☻     └      F╘♥ ☻                                ÷   ☺               D @ % S y s t e m R o o t % \ s y s t e m 3 2 \ I m m e r s i v e C
    o n t r o l P a n e l \ s y s t e m s e t t i n g s . e x e , - 6 5 1 § % H O M E D R I V E % % H O M E P A T H % : % w i n d i r % \ s y s t e
    m 3 2 \ I m m e r s i v e C o n t r o l P a n e l \ s y s t e m s e t t i n g s . e x e └♦        á-   1SPSΓèXF╝L8C╗ⁿ‼ô&ÿm╬◄        ‼
    ó   1SPS0±%╖∩G
    </cmd_output>

The "pin" button is shown to me when I right-click to bring up the Internet Explorer menu, along with the refresh/addressbar/etc. options. My Frequent List has a few pages that all have different background colors. Yes I see the pin to start button, and hovering over it changes it to black.  

So that sounds all Ok.   So there is no problem there?   Just getting it started is the only issue?   Then why not pin a page and use that as your Home page?  E.g. it would be analogous to using an Internet Shortcut (.url file) or a Web Site Shortcut (.website file) instead of a Desktop Shortcut (.lnk file).   Any of them opens IE. (Actually in the case of the .website file your UI is changed but Metro is "chromeless" so you wouldn't notice any difference with it either. <eg>)

C:\Users\matthewmsft\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\TileCacheDefault-3
    383187_76.dat
    C:\Users\matthewmsft\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\TileCacheLogo-3383
    468_96.dat
    C:\Users\matthewmsft\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\TileCacheStartView
    -3382953_76.dat
    C:\Users\matthewmsft\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\TileCacheTickle-33
    83343_76.dat

I mentioned the  TileCacheDefault*.dat but in fact TileCacheStartView*.dat is the biggest I have.  I may have just been misled by the name.   Also, coincidentally mine all now look like they updated last night but I'm pretty sure I didn't do a  shutdown.exe /s /full.   This means that there is another mechanism for updating them.   I just remembered:  I think I had one of my occasional crashes in explorer.exe when doing a shutdown restart last night...  I wish Event Viewer would let us interleave all records instead of doing its premature sorting and grouping...  Quickly, without trying to integrate all event logs, it looks like it could have been Defrag?   That will be simple to test.

If yours have been updated since your shutdown.exe you may get a clue from the timestamp about which one is current but I would only look at the two that I have mentioned.

pinning the Internet Explorer that I have on my Taskbar to the Start screen (and then launching it from the Start Screen) launches the Desktop Internet Explorer. If you go into C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and right-click properties on any Metro app's shortcut, it shows the path as "notused", whereas the pin for my Taskbar's internet explorer's app is "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" so that might be why it doesn't work.

Yes.   In fact one that I have in that state is the Store.lnk which I deliberately removed both because it is currently useless and as a test of the Unpin command.   So then the question is why can't you do a Search for what is "notused" and Pin them?   Let me try to confirm that idea with Store...   I can still find it listed under Apps.   Right-click shows I have the option to Pin it...  Doing that has repinned it to the end of my Start Screen and AFAICS (e.g. doing a dir and a before and after type of it) nothing has changed its .lnk file at all.   So, I suspect all changes of state were made somewhere else, such as in the TileCache* which I will not be able to see until either the next accidental update of it or until I do another shutdown.exe /s /full.

HTH

Robert
    ---

Apparently Notused just means there is no conventional Target and it makes it impossible to get to the Shortcut's Properties General tab to find out its path.   Not very useful when you have done a  Search for  ext:.lnk.   Switching to View Details, and looking in the Folder column may provide a workaround for that deficiency.

Friday, January 13, 2012 7:54 AM
  • Yes, I have the desktop Internet Explorer pinned to my taskbar, that's all working fine.   What I want is a way to pin the Metro Internet Explorer to my Start screen.

I was hoping that having the  .lnk  shortcut in the right location would be enough.   However, I just noticed in the "type" I gave you of mine above that it does have  Microsoft.InternetExplorer.Default  embedded in it which is a bit like the Metro app name that I see in the TileCache*.dat files.   Does a type of yours not show that string in there too?   Otherwise I guess you may be right about needing to get a copy of one from somebody.  But if so, this is really stupid IMO because doing a dump of it that way is the only way to see that the shortcut appears to have some kind of Metro association.

How about your  Control.exe?   Was that one missing in your case too?   I wouldn't care if I Removed mine to see how it goes and (hopefully) comes back.   Looks like it is a separate program though, so not as useful as an analogy for the IE/IE Metro case.

<cmd_output>

C:\ProgramData>type "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Immersive Control Panel.lnk"
    L   ☺¶☻     └      F╘♥ ☻                                ÷   ☺               D @ % S y s t e m R o o t % \ s y s t e m 3 2 \ I m m e r s i v e C
    o n t r o l P a n e l \ s y s t e m s e t t i n g s . e x e , - 6 5 1 § % H O M E D R I V E % % H O M E P A T H % : % w i n d i r % \ s y s t e
    m 3 2 \ I m m e r s i v e C o n t r o l P a n e l \ s y s t e m s e t t i n g s . e x e └♦        á-   1SPSΓèXF╝L8C╗ⁿ‼ô&ÿm╬◄        ‼
    ó   1SPS0±%╖∩G
    </cmd_output>

So that sounds all Ok.   So there is no problem there?   Just getting it started is the only issue?   Then why not pin a page and use that as your Home page?  E.g. it would be analogous to using an Internet Shortcut (.url file) or a Web Site Shortcut (.website file) instead of a Desktop Shortcut (.lnk file).   Any of them opens IE. (Actually in the case of the .website file your UI is changed but Metro is "chromeless" so you wouldn't notice any difference with it either. <eg>)

383187_76.dat
    468_96.dat
    -3382953_76.dat
    83343_76.dat

I mentioned the  TileCacheDefault*.dat but in fact TileCacheStartView*.dat is the biggest I have.  I may have just been misled by the name.   Also, coincidentally mine all now look like they updated last night but I'm pretty sure I didn't do a  shutdown.exe /s /full.   This means that there is another mechanism for updating them.   I just remembered:  I think I had one of my occasional crashes in explorer.exe when doing a shutdown restart last night...  I wish Event Viewer would let us interleave all records instead of doing its premature sorting and grouping...  Quickly, without trying to integrate all event logs, it looks like it could have been Defrag?   That will be simple to test.

If yours have been updated since your shutdown.exe you may get a clue from the timestamp about which one is current but I would only look at the two that I have mentioned.

Yes.   In fact one that I have in that state is the Store.lnk which I deliberately removed both because it is currently useless and as a test of the Unpin command.   So then the question is why can't you do a Search for what is "notused" and Pin them?   Let me try to confirm that idea with Store...   I can still find it listed under Apps.   Right-click shows I have the option to Pin it...  Doing that has repinned it to the end of my Start Screen and AFAICS (e.g. doing a dir and a before and after type of it) nothing has changed its .lnk file at all.   So, I suspect all changes of state were made somewhere else, such as in the TileCache* which I will not be able to see until either the next accidental update of it or until I do another shutdown.exe /s /full.

HTH

Robert
    ---

Apparently Notused just means there is no conventional Target and it makes it impossible to get to the Shortcut's Properties General tab to find out its path.   Not very useful when you have done a  Search for  ext:.lnk.   Switching to View Details, and looking in the Folder column may provide a workaround for that deficiency.

Here are my results:

C:\Users\matthewmsft\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Us
    er Pinned\TaskBar>type "Internet Explorer.lnk"
    L   ☺¶☻     └      Fö♥ ☻                                    ☺               % @
    % w i n d i r % \ s y s t e m 3 2 \ i e f r a m e . d l l , - 5 5 1 7 6 § % H O
    M E D R I V E % % H O M E P A T H % ╨             á-   1SPSΓèXF╝L8C╗ⁿ‼ô&ÿm╬◄
        ‼           ù   1SPSU(Lƒyƒ9K¿╨ß╘-ß╒≤Y   ♣    ▼   #   M i c r o s o f t . I n
     t e r n e t E x p l o r e r . D e f a u l t     ◄   ♂    ♂       ◄   ↕    ‼   ☺
               ¶♥  ☺  á%ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

so yes there is a Microsoft.Internet Explorer.Default in there.

and for Immersive control panel:

C:\Users\matthewmsft\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Us
    er Pinned\TaskBar>type "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Imm
    ersive Control Panel.lnk"
    L   ☺¶☻     └      F╘♥ ☻                                ÷   ☺               D @
    % S y s t e m R o o t % \ s y s t e m 3 2 \ I m m e r s i v e C o n t r o l P a
    n e l \ s y s t e m s e t t i n g s . e x e , - 6 5 1 § % H O M E D R I V E % %
    H O M E P A T H % : % w i n d i r % \ s y s t e m 3 2 \ I m m e r s i v e C o n
    t r o l P a n e l \ s y s t e m s e t t i n g s . e x e └♦        á-   1SPSΓèXF╝
    L8C╗ⁿ‼ô&ÿm╬◄        ‼           ó   1SPS0±%╖∩G

to answer your question, the Metro control panel (and Remote Desktop app) dissapeared with IE. IE was the only one that never came back.

The problem is that I can't pin anything. If I could, I would use it as my homepage as you mentioned. even making a shortcut starts it in Desktop IE, not metro. If I set the default view for links to Metro IE, then I guess that could work, but I'd rather leave the default view to Desktop IE and only use the Metro IE when I want to.

So yeah, I'm able to open TileCacheStartView*.dat, but now what? What should  look for?

as for what is "notused," I don't think the shortcut is actually referring to anything. That's why it's impossible just to copy a shortcut from my Taskbar (Desktop IE) and pin it to my Start menu and have it open the shortcut as Metro IE. I think "notused" is telling it that it's a Metro app, and something else in the shortcut itself is telling Windows which one it is.

Thanks,

Matthew

Saturday, January 14, 2012 1:21 AM

• Here are my results:

So, it looks like my initial guess was right.   Getting someone to send your that shortcut would not have been useful.

to answer your question, the Metro control panel (and Remote Desktop app) disappeared with IE. IE was the only one that never came back.

Ok.  I wasn't sure if there was still an issue there.

The problem is that I can't pin anything.

I suspect a problem in the registry.   IE doesn't have any really complete repair tool.   Some things you could try are

1. RIES.  (at the expense of wiping out most of your customizations).   I doubt it would change your symptom but it is the official "fix" for problem symptoms like this.
    2. IE8-ReReg.cmd  Untested on IE10 but it is essentially just a list of .dll files which have or had support for regsvr32.exe re-registration.  Based on the original  IE5Maintenance repair tool and a botched command line version for IE6sp2 requested by a switch written as  /rereg.
    3. Default Programs. Set Program Access and Computer Defaults. Custom.  Internet Explorer. OK.  That is used mainly for re-establishing lost filetype associations but it may have other repair properties to it.
    4. Windows Features.  Uncheck IE10.   If it is like W7 much grinding will occur when it is "removed" (essentially all that is "removed" is iexplore.exe and any shortcuts to it), then you will be told to reboot.   If you have another browser installed it will be made your default browser.    After reboot you could again check it.   Strangely, then there is no grinding and no reboot requirement; so I suspect it is a lost opportunity for a complete repair but at least something would have to happen regarding shortcuts.   <eg>

So yeah, I'm able to open TileCacheStartView*.dat, but now what? What should look for?

Microsoft.InternetExplorer.Default  (as doublebyte characters).   Notepad lets you represent the actual nulls between each letter by spaces to search for it.   However, I think it could be interesting and useful to try to match up what you see there with what you see on your Start Screen, e.g. check for discrepancies that way.   As I mentioned it appears that pinned pages are represented by numbers so it will be difficult to check those but all the others have some kind of helpful eyecatcher to place them in the same order that you see the tiles on the screen.

as for what is "notused," I don't think the shortcut is actually referring to anything. That's why it's impossible just to copy a shortcut from my Taskbar (Desktop IE) and pin it to my Start menu and have it open the shortcut as Metro IE. I think "notused" is telling it that it's a Metro app, and something else in the shortcut itself is telling Windows which one it is.

Yeah, I agree.  I think it means that this shortcut has no target, so no Desktop representation of it.   However, I didn't have any trouble copying one from the Taskbar to the Desktop, so I don't see why you should have any trouble copying the IE one from there to the Start Menu, especially since the IE shortcut is not one which has  "notused"  as a  Target.   ;  )

HTH

Robert
    ---

Saturday, January 14, 2012 5:49 AM

• Here are my results:

So, it looks like my initial guess was right.   Getting someone to send your that shortcut would not have been useful.

to answer your question, the Metro control panel (and Remote Desktop app) disappeared with IE. IE was the only one that never came back.

Ok.  I wasn't sure if there was still an issue there.

The problem is that I can't pin anything.

I suspect a problem in the registry.   IE doesn't have any really complete repair tool.   Some things you could try are

1. RIES.  (at the expense of wiping out most of your customizations).   I doubt it would change your symptom but it is the official "fix" for problem symptoms like this.
    2. IE8-ReReg.cmd  Untested on IE10 but it is essentially just a list of .dll files which have or had support for regsvr32.exe re-registration.  Based on the original  IE5Maintenance repair tool and a botched command line version for IE6sp2 requested by a switch written as  /rereg.
    3. Default Programs. Set Program Access and Computer Defaults. Custom.  Internet Explorer. OK.  That is used mainly for re-establishing lost filetype associations but it may have other repair properties to it.
    4. Windows Features.  Uncheck IE10.   If it is like W7 much grinding will occur when it is "removed" (essentially all that is "removed" is iexplore.exe and any shortcuts to it), then you will be told to reboot.   If you have another browser installed it will be made your default browser.    After reboot you could again check it.   Strangely, then there is no grinding and no reboot requirement; so I suspect it is a lost opportunity for a complete repair but at least something would have to happen regarding shortcuts.   <eg>

So yeah, I'm able to open TileCacheStartView*.dat, but now what? What should look for?

Microsoft.InternetExplorer.Default  (as doublebyte characters).   Notepad lets you represent the actual nulls between each letter by spaces to search for it.   However, I think it could be interesting and useful to try to match up what you see there with what you see on your Start Screen, e.g. check for discrepancies that way.   As I mentioned it appears that pinned pages are represented by numbers so it will be difficult to check those but all the others have some kind of helpful eyecatcher to place them in the same order that you see the tiles on the screen.

Yeah, I agree.  I think it means that this shortcut has no target, so no Desktop representation of it.   However, I didn't have any trouble copying one from the Taskbar to the Desktop, so I don't see why you should have any trouble copying the IE one from there to the Start Menu, especially since the IE shortcut is not one which has  "notused"  as a  Target.   ;  )

HTH

Robert
    ---

Hello,

By RIES I assume you mean Reset IE Settings, which is something I don't think will help and really wouldn't like to try right now. Could you point me towards a place I could download IE8-ReReg.cmd? And I also tried default programs and windows features; neither helped. It would be nice if we could contact anyone on the IE10 team at Microsoft and ask them about the registry values for Metro IE....

And searching through all of the TileCacheStartView*.dat files for even "I n t e r n e t" doesn't return anything :/

Ah, so what does the IE shortcut have instead of "notused"?

Thanks,

Matthew

Sunday, January 15, 2012 8:32 PM
  • So, it looks like my initial guess was right.   Getting someone to send your that shortcut would not have been useful.

HTH

Robert
    ---

OK, correct me if I'm wrong (and I probably am), but is this not a shortcut problem? Simply copying the IE shortcut from my Taskbar to my StartMenu (from C:\Users\matthewmsft\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar to
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs) and then running the resulting Internet Explorer shortcut from the Start Menu opens the Desktop start menu. So might there be some special flag inside the Metro shortcut that differentiates it from the regular Desktop shortcut? I mean, if you ran windiff or something on them both, would they be identical?

just my 2 cents,

Matthew

Sunday, January 15, 2012 8:42 PM
  • Simply copying the IE shortcut from my Taskbar to my StartMenu (from :\Users\matthewmsft\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar to  C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs) and then running the resulting Internet Explorer shortcut from the Start Menu opens the Desktop start menu.

@ Matthew

Sounds like you dropped the Target along the way?   What are its Properties now?  All I can do is say that I see the same shortcut (Internet Explorer.lnk file) in both places--even the size and date are the same.   The data that you "type"d looks the same as mine.   That implied also that you were seeing the Target in the Properties Shortcut tab as  "%ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"  and its Start In: field as  %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%   The only other thing showing in that Shortcut tab is this Comment:  Finds and displays information and Web sites on the Internet.  If you weren't seeing that presentation of the .lnk file that you showed I would suspect a problem with Windows itself.   Hopefully you have just copied the file incorrectly.

The idea was that if not having it in the Start Menu was what was preventing you from seeing Internet Explorer as an "App" then it might help to put it there.   Otherwise as I also mentioned I would suspect a problem with the registry.   FWIW I intend sometime to have a go at using the "uncheck IE in Windows Features" option while tracing with ProcMon but I haven't done that yet.   I don't want to point you to Kai's cmd file until I test that option either but it is very easy to find a link to it if you choose to do a web search for it and try it ahead of me.

Oh.  You say you already tried the "uncheck IE" option as a repair possibility?  So, what were your symptoms with it?  Its function is to remove all external signs of IE (e.g. to satisfy a requirement of the EU not to favour IE over any other browser) but it has to leave much browsing functionality otherwise installed (e.g. modules such as ieframe.dll mshtml.dll urlmon.dll wininet.dll, etc. would all appear at version level 10.  (You could use msinfo32.exe Software... Loaded... and sort on Version to see this.)  As I indicated in spite of that being a great opportunity to provide a general repair function for IE I suspect all it does essentially is hide iexplore.exe and references to it and then brings them back as they were.   But for your case I would have hoped that it would at least have installed some fresh (valid) shortcuts (and Tiles--assuming the procedure has been updated to handle those too).

HTH

Robert
    ---

Sunday, January 15, 2012 9:53 PM
  • Simply copying the IE shortcut from my Taskbar to my StartMenu (from :\Users\matthewmsft\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar to  C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs) and then running the resulting Internet Explorer shortcut from the Start Menu opens the Desktop start menu.

@ Matthew

Sounds like you dropped the Target along the way?   What are its Properties now?  All I can do is say that I see the same shortcut (Internet Explorer.lnk file) in both places--even the size and date are the same.   The data that you "type"d looks the same as mine.   That implied also that you were seeing the Target in the Properties Shortcut tab as  "%ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"  and its Start In: field as  %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%   The only other thing showing in that Shortcut tab is this Comment:  Finds and displays information and Web sites on the Internet.  If you weren't seeing that presentation of the .lnk file that you showed I would suspect a problem with Windows itself.   Hopefully you have just copied the file incorrectly.

The idea was that if not having it in the Start Menu was what was preventing you from seeing Internet Explorer as an "App" then it might help to put it there.   Otherwise as I also mentioned I would suspect a problem with the registry.   FWIW I intend sometime to have a go at using the "uncheck IE in Windows Features" option while tracing with ProcMon but I haven't done that yet.   I don't want to point you to Kai's cmd file until I test that option either but it is very easy to find a link to it if you choose to do a web search for it and try it ahead of me.

Oh.  You say you already tried the "uncheck IE" option as a repair possibility?  So, what were your symptoms with it?  Its function is to remove all external signs of IE (e.g. to satisfy a requirement of the EU not to favour IE over any other browser) but it has to leave much browsing functionality otherwise installed (e.g. modules such as ieframe.dll mshtml.dll urlmon.dll wininet.dll, etc. would all appear at version level 10.  (You could use msinfo32.exe Software... Loaded... and sort on Version to see this.)  As I indicated in spite of that being a great opportunity to provide a general repair function for IE I suspect all it does essentially is hide iexplore.exe and references to it and then brings them back as they were.   But for your case I would have hoped that it would at least have installed some fresh (valid) shortcuts (and Tiles--assuming the procedure has been updated to handle those too).

HTH

Robert
    ---

Ah, the shortcut on my taskbar has the following properties:

Target: "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

Start In: "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer"

Shortcut key: None

Run: Normal window

Comment:

so maybe there's a difference between my shortcut and yours?

Excuse my naiveté, but it just feels like the one stone left unturned is the shortcut :/

Thanks,

Matthew

Sunday, January 15, 2012 10:36 PM
  • Ah, the shortcut on my taskbar has the following properties:

@ Matthew

If you typed both .lnk files in a cmd window there would be a difference surely?   What you typed before is exactly what I see (in particular for the  %HomeDrive%HomePath  and the  %ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer parameterizations) not the interpretation of it that you are seeing.   So I'm saying that I would suspect the problem is not the shortcut itself but whatever module (and its registration) is used to present that interpretation of the shortcut to you.   Otherwise your "copy" must not be a true copy of what you typed before.  In any case I can see no detail then which would explain why you would see a directory folder launched instead of the Target program.   Typically the reason why one sees a symptom like that is not enclosing in doublequotes a target whose path contains spaces.   Your Target apparently is properly quoted.  Why wouldn't a Desktop IE window be opened instead?  Also, regardless of what the shortcut is you aren't telling me whether you are now getting a changed result in your search for Apps.   That is the whole point of this exercise.   E.g. find a previously unavailable "App" and right-click on it to see what its Metro options are.   FWIW I have to type the full word Internet before I get a match for the Internet Explorer shortcut that I have but it has the options that I listed previously for the IE Tile in my Start Screen.   Left-clicking (or tapping) that found shortcut switches to my IE Metro "app", exactly the same as if I was tapping the IE Tile I have in my Start Screen.   I have no doubt that if I did not have an IE tile in my STart Screen I would see the menu option Pin instead of Unpin and then if I used that have an IE tile in my Start Screen.

BTW you probably already have other copies of  Internet Explorer.lnk  hanging around on your harddrive.   Previously we just searched  %ProgramData%  and  %AppData%  for them and only listed the full pathnames found (used  dir/a/b/s).   I suggest instead you do:

cd /d  %SystemDrive%\

dir/a/s  Internet*.lnk

(refine the pattern if you find that necessary) and see what you find in terms of Date and Size for  Internet Explorer.lnk.

Robert
    ---

Monday, January 16, 2012 8:04 AM
  • @ Matthew

I just found something that Andre suggested in another thread which may be relevant and useful.

Inside the Metro IE, move the mouse over the start button and select settings and select the desktop IE opens when clicking a hyperlink.

FWIW I was able to do that once but now I think my Metro IE is not so healthy.   I am going to try a reboot later and see if that changes anything.   If that doesn't work I may be in the same boat that you are--looking for a way to repair IE.   <eg>

Robert
    ---

Monday, January 16, 2012 6:05 PM
  • Ah, the shortcut on my taskbar has the following properties:

@ Matthew

If you typed both .lnk files in a cmd window there would be a difference surely?   What you typed before is exactly what I see (in particular for the  %HomeDrive%HomePath  and the  %ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer parameterizations) not the interpretation of it that you are seeing.   So I'm saying that I would suspect the problem is not the shortcut itself but whatever module (and its registration) is used to present that interpretation of the shortcut to you.   Otherwise your "copy" must not be a true copy of what you typed before.  In any case I can see no detail then which would explain why you would see a directory folder launched instead of the Target program.   Typically the reason why one sees a symptom like that is not enclosing in doublequotes a target whose path contains spaces.   Your Target apparently is properly quoted.  Why wouldn't a Desktop IE window be opened instead?  Also, regardless of what the shortcut is you aren't telling me whether you are now getting a changed result in your search for Apps.   That is the whole point of this exercise.   E.g. find a previously unavailable "App" and right-click on it to see what its Metro options are.   FWIW I have to type the full word Internet before I get a match for the Internet Explorer shortcut that I have but it has the options that I listed previously for the IE Tile in my Start Screen.   Left-clicking (or tapping) that found shortcut switches to my IE Metro "app", exactly the same as if I was tapping the IE Tile I have in my Start Screen.   I have no doubt that if I did not have an IE tile in my STart Screen I would see the menu option Pin instead of Unpin and then if I used that have an IE tile in my Start Screen.

BTW you probably already have other copies of  Internet Explorer.lnk  hanging around on your harddrive.   Previously we just searched  %ProgramData%  and  %AppData%  for them and only listed the full pathnames found (used  dir/a/b/s).   I suggest instead you do:

cd /d  %SystemDrive%\

dir/a/s  Internet*.lnk

(refine the pattern if you find that necessary) and see what you find in terms of Date and Size for  Internet Explorer.lnk.

Robert
    ---

OK, wait. So it looks like I have 2 start menu locations? C:\Users\matthewmsft\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs ??? because there's an Internet Explorer shortcut showing up in C:\Users\matthewmsft\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. The Internet Explorer shortcut in C:\Users\matthewmsft\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs shows up during searches, and when I right-click on it I get the options:

Pin

Advanced -> Unpin from Taskbar, Open file location, Run as Administrator, Run

but the problem is that it's not a tile (which would open Metro IE) but a shortcut, which opens Desktop IE :/

Monday, January 16, 2012 6:16 PM
  • there's an Internet Explorer shortcut showing up in C:\Users\matthewmsft\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. 

I thought you had one in your Taskbar?   The one that you did a type with?   I wanted you to copy that to the  %ProgData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\  as that is what I had (the only one) before I tried to pin one to the Taskbar.   Did you move that one to your %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\  instead?  I suppose putting it there instead is just as good, provided you get the same set of options with it.  That was the main objective, not just putting it  in the "right" directory.

and when I right-click on it I get the options:

Pin

Advanced -> Unpin from Taskbar, Open file location, Run as Administrator, Run

but the problem is that it's not a tile (which would open Metro IE) but a shortcut, which opens Desktop IE :/

There you go.  Try using Pin?   That would have the effect of making the shortcut into a tile and changing that option to Unpin--the one that I would rather not test for you.

Good luck

Robert
    ---

Monday, January 16, 2012 8:59 PM
  • Hmm...

I never realized how common issues like this were. It seems like there are a lot of posts popping up on this forum that say "I lost my link to <Insert App Here> and I have no idea how to get it back," and the advice is always to do a System Restore, Refresh, or Reset. Is there any way to restore these shortcuts without using any of those options? This NEEDS to be possible in the final version of Windows 8, or many customers will have difficulty with the Start Screen.

Hopefully, the deleted app problem (a separate but related issue) and this problem are only temporary because the Windows Store isn't open yet.

Monday, January 16, 2012 9:17 PM
  • the advice is always to do a System Restore, Refresh, or Reset. Is there any way to restore these shortcuts without using any of those options?

A slight overgeneralization I'd say but alternatives would require some diagnosis to improve the symptom description.

This NEEDS to be possible in the final version of Windows 8, or many customers will have difficulty with the Start Screen.

What we need is some documentation about the implementation instead of having to rely on reverse engineering techniques to try to understand how it might be supposed to work.

---

Monday, January 16, 2012 10:14 PM
  • there's an Internet Explorer shortcut showing up in C:\Users\matthewmsft\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. 

I thought you had one in your Taskbar?   The one that you did a type with?   I wanted you to copy that to the  %ProgData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\  as that is what I had (the only one) before I tried to pin one to the Taskbar.   Did you move that one to your %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\  instead?  I suppose putting it there instead is just as good, provided you get the same set of options with it.  That was the main objective, not just putting it  in the "right" directory.

and when I right-click on it I get the options:

Pin

Advanced -> Unpin from Taskbar, Open file location, Run as Administrator, Run

There you go.  Try using Pin?   That would have the effect of making the shortcut into a tile and changing that option to Unpin--the one that I would rather not test for you.

Good luck

Robert
    ---

No, I just noticed that there was an IE shortcut there :) I also had it moved to the %ProgramData% location
    Pinning it and then launching it from the Start Menu launches the Desktop IE.

Thanks,

Matthew

Monday, January 16, 2012 10:23 PM
  • No, I just noticed that there was an IE shortcut there :) I also had it moved to the %ProgramData% location

which would suggest that you need to use Andre's tip.

---

Monday, January 16, 2012 11:06 PM
  • No, I just noticed that there was an IE shortcut there :) I also had it moved to the %ProgramData% location

which would suggest that you need to use Andre's tip.

---

OK, I've tried with both settings (links opening in Desktop and Metro), but neither changes the fact that the Internet Explorer shortcut opens in Desktop mode.

Might I point out that maybe you have multiple Internet Explorer shortcuts on your machine, and thus you might be looking at the Desktop IE shortcut while you should be looking at the Metro IE tile shortcut? just a thought...

Thanks,

Matthew

Monday, January 16, 2012 11:20 PM
  • maybe you have multiple Internet Explorer shortcuts on your machine, and thus you might be looking at the Desktop IE shortcut while you should be looking at the Metro IE tile shortcut?

You were the one who wanted to focus on that shortcut.   I have been trying to help you test that hypothesis.   I still think the registry is most likely to contain the key for launching metro apps.   E.g.  we showed that all our  Internet Explorer.lnk  shortcuts refer to something called  Microsoft.InternetExplorer.Default  as does my  TileCacheDefault*.dat  (in fact, all my TileCache*.dat files except the Tickle one.)   Ditto for the ones in the Debug directory, the main difference there being that there is no Logo one and that they are all larger than the normal ones.  (BTW I had to doublecheck that the Logo one contained an instance of this name because that .dat file is so much smaller than all the others, smaller than even the Tickle one.)   So if I click on an IE Tile I doubt that there will be any reference to a  .lnk  file, just some unknown sequence of registry and file accesses.   Unfortunately I am not free at the moment to check that idea using ProcMon.

However, while searching the registry for that app name I noticed how often it occurs with filetype association items.   So, I think it might be more relevant than I first thought to try using

regsvr32.exe  /n /i  ieframe.dll

as that is a combination of switches that Kai's script omits that I have always thought would be important for some repair contexts.   As with the ie8-rereg.cmd  make sure that you try this using an elevated cmd window (e.g. Administrator:  Command Prompt); otherwise like many others of those regsvr32.exe commands it is likely to be rejected.   I still haven't tried tracing all our registry repair procedures under W8 to know how much they have changed.

BTW I just noticed your previous wording "launching it from the Start Menu launches the Desktop IE".   Taken literally that would be normal.   I had assumed that the Pin had created an IE tile and that clicking the IE tile in your *Start Screen* was what you meant by "launching it from the Start Menu".   The sequence I was visualizing is:

1. Use Search Apps to find the  Internet Explorer.lnk  file (from wherever you put it that is visible to the Start Screen)
    2. right-click on that item in the Search results and use its Pin  option  (which you claimed you saw; in my case it is Unpin)
    3. Find the  Internet Explorer  tile in the Start Screen  (presumably at the bottom, so press End to get there quickly)
    4. Use the tile.

Is that really launching IE Desktop?   Also, if this description is accurate I would expect that now your  TileCache*.dat  would be different, e.g.  perhaps now showing you  Microsoft.InternetExplorer.Default  (found as doublebyte characters) at the bottom of the list.   Again, though, I would expect also that you might have to do something unusual such as a  shutdown.exe  /s  /full  to make sure that you were looking at the most current representation of your Start Screen in those files.

HTH

Robert
    ---

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 2:57 AM
  •      regsvr32.exe  /n /i  ieframe.dll

Doesn't seem to have been updated to refer to Metro.  E.g. no sign that  AppModelID  is being rewritten or in any case no reference to  Microsoft.InternetExplorer.Default   anywhere.

In view of this, I think any analysis of our repair procedures in W8 for IE10 may be premature and that I should probably wait for the beta to do it.   I will file a comment about this for now only.

FYI

Robert
    ---

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 8:54 PM
  •      regsvr32.exe  /n /i  ieframe.dll

Doesn't seem to have been updated to refer to Metro.  E.g. no sign that  AppModelID  is being rewritten or in any case no reference to  Microsoft.InternetExplorer.Default   anywhere.

In view of this, I think any analysis of our repair procedures in W8 for IE10 may be premature and that I should probably wait for the beta to do it.   I will file a comment about this for now only.

FYI

Robert
    ---

Ah, well, it looks like I'll wait till the beta :/

Anyways, before we give up maybe some procmon files would be useful? there are quite a few errors in mine....

I took procmon records of activity within iexplore.exe:

Searching for "Bing" and clicking the Internet Explorer app (starting up): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57765044/Mon.PML

After it starts up, clear the Procmon (Ctrl-X) and pin the search for "Bing" to the Start Menu (or attempt to, anyhow): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57765044/MonPin.PML

There seem to be a fair amount of not found errors, especially accessing the registry, but I'm not sure if that's normal.

Thanks,

Matthew

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 12:23 AM
  • I took procmon records of activity within iexplore.exe:Searching for "Bing" and clicking the Internet Explorer app (starting up): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57765044/Mon.PML

That seems a bit vague.   E.g. searching for  bing   here would result in 0 Apps 0 Settings and 2800 Files.   What do you see?   How?  If you are saying you are finding  1 Apps  and it is  Bing  that could imply that you do have a pinned IE Favorite tile which is named  Bing (or perhaps had such a tile and then unpinned it).

In fact, your trace sort of supports this idea.   Remember I mentioned seeing a Command line switch -ServerName:DefaultBrowserServer  in the context of a Metro IE diagnostic (in that case via Task Manager)?   There is one in your trace too.

After it starts up, clear the Procmon (Ctrl-X) and pin the search for "Bing" to the Start Menu (or attempt to, anyhow): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57765044/MonPin.PML

They are both the same PID, so I will assume they are the same thing.   And when I apply a filter of  Detail Contains pin   I can see that indeed you were probably doing something with the Pin function.   If you gave me more details about what that is I would try to simulate it for you and tell you how your trace compared with mine.

Hang on.  It looks as if you have FireFox installed and let it take over some of the filetype associations?   I won't try simulating that.   Did you really try using the  Default Programs, Set Program Access... Custom... Internet Explorer  and the  regsvr32  command I suggested?   Perhaps you should try uninstalling all third-party browsers first too?

In any case, if you want to trace a Pin to Start Screen operation I would be pretty sure that you would need to be including all records for  explorer.exe  at least, if not a few transferring services too, e.g. to see if it worked.   It's strange IMO that you are showing Profiling records for other processes than iexplore.exe but no other records for them.   However, I have seen odd exclusions like that myself, particularly on W8, mostly when I start ProcMon as just a normal task, so to try to avoid such discrepancies I often try to elevate it or just start it via the Administrator: Command Prompt.

HTH

Robert
    ---

Friday, January 20, 2012 11:29 PM

HTH

Robert
    ---

Ah, sorry for being so vague. By clicking the internet explorer app I mean this:

1. go to your Metro Start Screen
    2. start typing "Bing" (begin a search for Bing)
    3. On the right hand side look under where it says "Apps" "Settings" and "Files"
    4. there should be a list of Metro Apps. Click the one that says "Internet Explorer"

I'll try to get a cleaner procmon soon :)

Thanks,

Matthew

Saturday, January 21, 2012 6:16 PM
  • there should be a list of Metro Apps. Click the one that says "Internet Explorer"

As I said, I don't see that and so I suspect that BING is a tile that you created (or perhaps one that you renamed)?   E.g. you might have taken the  Internet Explorer.lnk  file and renamed it  BING.lnk  to produce what you are observing.   In that case, to see  Internet Explorer.lnk  again, just undo that rename or make a copy of that shortcut file with a name you would prefer to use.

OTOH as I also mentioned (and FWIW suspect is more likely) it might be the equivalent of an Internet Shortcut (aka pinned Frequent URL) and I haven't yet figured out what the implementation of those are--except that they are probably not conventional .URL files and that as I mentioned before they seem to have numeric only identifiers which make them much more difficult to correlate when you are just trying to match tiles and eyecatchers in a TileCache*.dat file.

Robert
    ---

Saturday, January 21, 2012 6:36 PM

Robert
    ---

OMG THANK YOU!

Your hunch about Firefox was completely right - It was ALL Firefox's problem.

Here's how I fixed it:

1. Completely update Firefox
    2. Restart
    3. turn on or off windows features -> UNCHECK Internet Explorer 10
    4. Restart
    5. on or off windows features -> CHECK Internet Explorer 10
    6. Restart

Search for "Internet Explorer" and - voila! It's there. also the pinning of sites and EVERYTHING works fine afterwards :P

THANK YOU AGAIN,

Matthew

Saturday, January 21, 2012 6:43 PM