Can not register newdev.dll file on XP SP3

Question

• I'm having problem while installing a USB modem diver. (Modem : Nokia Siemens c2110)

{Modem is working properly by Ethernet port}

[the supplied driver had worked on the OS platform until recent in mistake I uninstall it]

While installing the driver prompt me two warning messages:

1. Error loading newdev.dll

2. administrator privileges required to install,unins....

To resolve second problem:

The second one warning about "administrator privilege" is just a superfluous, as I'm the administrator; & well informed about the "administrator privilege" facts. I have also tried to right click on the program and "Run as administrator.."  & entered the user name & password also.

but the problem remain same.

To resolve first problem:

I search this forum & tried to register the dll file by regsv32.

Then I got the message "newdev.dll was loaded, but DllRegisterServer entry point was not found.The file can not be registered".

The file is not a .NET Framework file so regasm.exe could not handle it.

But there is no problem with any existing & pre-installed hardware in the system even USB removable storage is working fine on the platform except the modem driver.

I want to hear from you about:

1. resolving the registering of the newdev.dll file when regsvr32 failed with error message

2. newdev.dll file version-subversion, size details

[My OS Details: Windows 5.1{build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234: Service Pack 3; Copyright 2007 MS Corp]

3. any procedure to check whether the file is working properly or not

S.Chatterjee
    Thursday, April 01, 2010 12:06 PM

Answers

• If it is a Windows DLL then it does not need to be registered. As a matter of fact you cannot register it. Try opening a Command Window (instead of using Start...Run) and you will see the error message when you use Regsvr32 in Vista or Windows 7.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about this DLL. You should contact the vendor or download the drivers from the vendors web site for your operating system. It's not a Visual Basic/Visual Basic .NET interop issue.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    • Marked as answer by Shubham Tuesday, April 06, 2010 8:53 PM
    Tuesday, April 06, 2010 12:44 PM

All replies

• I would try posting to a Windows forum. This forum is for Visual Basic 6.0/.NET interop.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/xphardware/threads?filter=answered

Thursday, April 01, 2010 6:13 PM
  • Yes I'm also posting there but I want to know is why newdev.dll is getting error as it is a programming based query. That's why I posted it here.

Thank you for your suggestion also.

S.Chatterjee
    Monday, April 05, 2010 9:49 PM
  • It doesn't sound like newdev.dll is a COM DLL either (based upon the error message you received) so you wouldn't use Regsvr32 to register it. I would suspect it's a standard Windows DLL and it needs to be in the application folder or path or Windows System folder.

Error loading DLL could mean many things. You may want to check the system Event log to see if there is any information there.

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 12:20 AM
  • yes I'm confident that the newdev.dll is a Windows System folder dll file.

it's location is : C:\WINDOWS\system32\newdev.dll, it has function during windows "New Hardware found wizard".

Can't I use regsvr32 to register a dll file of Windows System folder?

Pardon me,but on Win Vista or Win 7 such message never be found when I manually try to register by"regsvr32 newdev.dll";then for a fraction of a second a command prompt window flashed on, and in background probably registering the dll. I only give the example for comparative purpose of newdev.dll file on different Windows OS.

But why the same command from "Run" window will provide me an error message on XP SP3? What I'm watching on Win Vista or Win 7 is an illusion?

S.Chatterjee
    Tuesday, April 06, 2010 11:57 AM
  • If it is a Windows DLL then it does not need to be registered. As a matter of fact you cannot register it. Try opening a Command Window (instead of using Start...Run) and you will see the error message when you use Regsvr32 in Vista or Windows 7.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about this DLL. You should contact the vendor or download the drivers from the vendors web site for your operating system. It's not a Visual Basic/Visual Basic .NET interop issue.

• Marked as answer by Shubham Tuesday, April 06, 2010 8:53 PM
    Tuesday, April 06, 2010 12:44 PM