none
ARM endianess under Windows Mobile

Question

• Hi all! I would like to know if it's possibile in some way to set the operating endianess mode of the cpu running an application under Windows Mobile, developed with Windows Mobile 6 SDK.
    Arm processors are bi-endianess ( or at least this is what i fiugured out from googling around ) but does the s.o. or the sdk allow the switch to big endian and back?
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 8:16 PM

Answers

• No.  All versions of Windows run little-endian, period.  CHanging the endianness would make the OS puke.  Why would you want (or care) to change the endianness anyway?
    • Proposed as answer by Joel Ivory Johnson Sunday, November 15, 2009 10:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Cunctator Sunday, November 15, 2009 11:29 AM
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 1:33 AM

All replies

• No.  All versions of Windows run little-endian, period.  CHanging the endianness would make the OS puke.  Why would you want (or care) to change the endianness anyway?
    • Proposed as answer by Joel Ivory Johnson Sunday, November 15, 2009 10:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Cunctator Sunday, November 15, 2009 11:29 AM
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 1:33 AM
  • Intrepreting pre-defined protocols like IP or TCP without having to recalculate at run time every single variable is my main target by now, it would increment a lot the efficency of the code and the speed of the process
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 2:35 AM
  • Well, I think Chris effectivly explained the ramifications (gotta love that succinct wording!). It would not be appropriate to change the processor behaviour unless you were the one writing the operating system. You'll have to stick with bit shifting and masking.
    Joel Ivory Johnson
    It takes all the running you can do to stay in one place.If you want to get somewhere else,you must try to run at least twice as fast as that.
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 10:56 AM
  • Well thank you both for ure help with this thing, I'm gonna use htons() and such similar function so. Bye and W msdn
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 11:31 AM