none
he timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

Question

• Hi,

I am not able to connect my sql server 2005 with object explorer and query window.

It gives following error

TITLE: Connect to Database Engine
    ------------------------------

Cannot connect to servername.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: -2)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=-2&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

my database engine is running and I am able to connect through DAC to server,

kindly suggest me a solution.

Thanks.

Saturday, February 01, 2014 8:55 PM

All replies

• Hello,

What you can do in this case is when you connect through SQL server management studio ( SSMS) to instance on SSMS windows select option .There you can see timeout second as 30 change ot to 90 or 180 see if this helps.

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Sunday, February 02, 2014 12:57 AM
  • my database engine is running and I am able to connect through DAC to server,

If a DAC = Dedicated Admin Connection works, then also "normal" connections should work; even if the SQL Server is running in Single User mode. One difference of DAC. It uses a different IP port. Have you unblocked all required IP ports in your firewall? You have disable temporary you firewall and try it again.

Are you using the same SQL Server instance name for your connection as for DAC?

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Sunday, February 02, 2014 7:24 AM