SSL error: "The security certificate presented by this website was not issued by a trusted certificate authority"

Question

• Hi: I am trying to set up the SSL for my .NET 2.0 web service hosted on windows 2003 server. However when I browse to the web site through Https://mywevsite/mywebservice or even Https://mywevsite. I keep getting the error as “The security certificate presented by this website was not issued by a trusted certificate authority.”.

I have done the following steps:
    • Install the Microsoft Certificate Services on the server
    • Assign Port num 443 to whole web side SSL under IIS
    • Use IIS->directory security->secure communications-> server certificate to generate the certificate request file,
    • Use this request file to generate the certificate though the Microsoft Certificate Services on the same server.
    • Then I go back to the IIS to import the generated certificate.

There is one thing I feel not understand, after generated certificate request file in step 1. The “Issued to” in the request certificate property is Https://mywevsite. However when I finish generating the certificate, the “Issued to” of this certificate become my windows domain user name, which is my name. I am not sure how it is related to the error I got.

Could anyone give some suggestions please?

Thanks

Monday, June 11, 2007 11:48 AM

Answers

• Your internal certificate server is not a trusted certifying authority.  You need to import your certificate server's public certificate into your client client machines.
    Monday, June 11, 2007 8:14 PM