none
CRM 2011 ActiveX Filtering Problem in IE9

    Question

  • Good day,

    My team is working on a CRM 2011 project and we have been debugging the solution on a local development server which runs smoothly on IE8 and IE9. When we migrated the solution to a public server, we stumbled upon a problem about the ActiveX Filtering in IE9. The CRM application could run on IE8 but wouldn't load for IE9 and gave this message:

    "Unsupported Security Settings - Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online requires that ActiveX Controls be enabled. Your current security settings prevent this."

    To solve the above problem, one known solution was to turn off the ActiveX Filtering from the client's IE9 browser. I found this inconvenient since our client consists of a very large group of government users who have neither used CRM before, nor known whatever ActiveX filtering means and how to disable/enable it.

    For further info, the public CRM 2011 server is running on the Update Rollup 7, and the local development server is running the Update Rollup 5. We have already edited almost everything in the solution -- the sitemap, ribbon, default dashboard (with a web resource linking to a banner image), added a silverlight image control to one of the entities, heavy javascript codes in several custom entities, a lot of SOAP calls, and even integration with Sharepoint site for document management.

    We are stuck in this situation where we can't force our client to turn off ActiveX Filtering one by one. Any help is much appreciated, thanks.


    Wednesday, May 30, 2012 4:51 AM

Answers

  • IE9 has different set of security settings than IE8.

    If the CRM website is hosted in the same network/domain with the end users/clients, when surfing to CRM - the website zone should be "Local Intranet" which has ActiveX filter disabled.

    It is possible that system administrator of the domain has changed some IE security settings.

    1. Try adding the CRM website to trusted zone.

    2. Create a GPO with the system administrator to have CRM website in trusted zone / local intranet.

    Saturday, June 02, 2012 3:03 PM

All replies

  • Hi Gilang

    Do you have access to the domain server for your clients?  The fastest way will be to configure the IE settings from the server that will then update the settings on each client's computer.

    Apart from that I do not think there is any quick solution to this.


    Please vote if you find my post useful. Add me on Skype @ christo.skype1

    Wednesday, May 30, 2012 1:20 PM
  • I have the same problem, cannot get this to work, MS help has not been able to help either.

    I have decided to stay with my existing product, how can MS offer a cloud product that does not work with I/E 9 but works in Safari and FF?

    Friday, June 01, 2012 11:45 AM
  • This looks promising. Could you please give me a link to a how-to on configuring the IE settings from the server? Because I'm not sure on what to search on google.

    Thank you.

    Friday, June 01, 2012 11:26 PM
  • @Chops In

    http://crmbusiness.wordpress.com/2012/02/08/crm-2011-microsoft-send-crm-anywhere-and-everywhere-and-on-all-browsers/ mentions that on update rollup 8 CRM will be working on several browsers:

    ............

    CRM is going to be working on these browsers

    • IE on Windows 7
    • Safari 5.11 + on Mac OSX and iPad 2
    • Firefox 6+
    • Chrome 13.x

    ...........

    Though it mentioned "IE on Windows 7", I'm not sure if they would fix any compatibility issues on IE9

    Friday, June 01, 2012 11:30 PM
  • IE9 has different set of security settings than IE8.

    If the CRM website is hosted in the same network/domain with the end users/clients, when surfing to CRM - the website zone should be "Local Intranet" which has ActiveX filter disabled.

    It is possible that system administrator of the domain has changed some IE security settings.

    1. Try adding the CRM website to trusted zone.

    2. Create a GPO with the system administrator to have CRM website in trusted zone / local intranet.

    Saturday, June 02, 2012 3:03 PM
  • Thank you for your answer, will do so and give feedback on how it goes
    Wednesday, June 06, 2012 11:38 AM
  • I can confirm that adding it to the "Local intranet" zone worked for me. I'd previously added the server to 'Trusted sites', but for some reason this wasn't enough to evade the warning.

    Friday, September 07, 2012 3:12 AM
  • Hi,  our CRM site is on the same domain but I get this same issue.  Adding the site ot Interanet or Trusted makes no difference. Changing all the ActiveX Internet Security settings to allow makes no difference.

    WTF?  How can you release a CRM product that doesn't work in your own browser?

    Answered this myself on another forum with an answer not from an MS employee.  The usual way to solve problems these days.

    My resolution: URL shortcut to CRM was only pathed to default IIS page. (http://localhost/crmsite) This was adequate for IE8. For IE9, I needed to include a path to the loader page. (http://localhost/crmsite/loader.aspx).  Problem solved.

    Add "loader.aspx" to end of you CRM URL....and it works! Ridiculous.

    • Edited by Burnardburns Friday, November 23, 2012 11:42 AM Real solution found!
    • Proposed as answer by Burnardburns Friday, November 23, 2012 11:42 AM
    Friday, November 23, 2012 11:38 AM
  • We just hit this issue. adding either loader.aspx or main.aspx after the crmsite name in the url will work.
    Friday, December 21, 2012 7:48 PM