none
Web Browser Display and Focues issues with CE 6

Question

• Have a fairly simple project with a Web browser control that is used to load an asp.net web page.

Currently it is being deployed on two sets of handheld devices, CE 5 and CE 6 versions.

It works perfectly fine on the CE 5 versions, the CE 6 versions has issues though.

As far of the normal activities, the user will scan a barcode into a textbox in the web page.

In CE 6, with the web site loaded through the browser control, when you scan, what was scanned does not display, until you click on the textbox using a stylus. Also, if I type using the handhelds keyboard, the same behavior happens, with nothing showing up as I type, until I click on the text box, then everything I typed will show up.

If I load the webpage directly through IE, bypassing the web browser, everything works and displays normally.

It seems to me as though when stuff is typed or scanned into the textbox, the control is not redrawing, until the textbox is actually clicked on.

Monday, October 17, 2011 9:38 PM

All replies

• Hi Andrew,

I guess maybe the .NET Compact Framework 3.5 has some problem on web browser control. You can try to use  .NET Compact Framework2.0 with this control on the CE6.

Best regards,

Jesse

Jesse Jiang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 7:08 AM
  • It look to me that the project is using Compact Framework 2, at least it references SmartDevices\SDK\CompactFramework\2.0\v2.0\WindowsCE\ for the dll it includes.

In anycase, how would I force the project to use Compact Framework 2?

Thursday, October 20, 2011 11:15 PM
  • As far as I know, the .NET Compact Framework version can be changed.

Right Click your project->Unload Project, Right Click your project again->Edit xxx.csproj find the element TargetFrameworkVersion change it to

<TargetFrameworkVersion>v2.0</TargetFrameworkVersion>

I hope these information can help you to solve this problem.

Best regards,

Jesse

Jesse Jiang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, October 24, 2011 7:35 AM
  • Yep, it was already target at framework 2.

So, unfortunately, that is not the issue.

Not sure if I mentioned, this is built in vs 2005, would it make a difference if I tried building it in vs 2010 and targetted it at ce framework 3?

Monday, October 24, 2011 4:30 PM
  • Yep, it was already target at framework 2.

So, unfortunately, that is not the issue.

Not sure if I mentioned, this is built in vs 2005, would it make a difference if I tried building it in vs 2010 and targetted it at ce framework 3?

Um, I think vs2010 does not support NETCF at the moment...
    Elvis Hsu
    Senior Software Engineer at Barcode Dynamics Australia
    Find me at Linkedin
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 2:35 AM
  • Yeah, apperently I will need to try to get a copy of vs 2008 to be able to try this, so I will need to have 3 versions of vs...

Stupid Microsoft.

Friday, November 04, 2011 5:03 PM
  • Ugg, well, converted to a vs 2008 project, and tried it again. Same issue.

Upgraded the project to use framework 3.5, that didn't work either.

So it doesn't seem to be the framework version that is the issue.

• Edited by Andrew Mader Wednesday, November 09, 2011 10:17 PM
    Wednesday, November 09, 2011 8:07 PM
  • Well, apparently, the issue I'm having has something to do with the website being loaded.

Pointed the browser at a different google, and at a test page, both which worked as expected.

Started commenting out code on my page, and removing styles, and it started working.

Guess something that I'm doing is being handled differently between CE 5 and 6.

Oh well, at least I'm making progress now.

Thanks everyone that attempted to help me. :)

Thursday, November 10, 2011 7:26 PM
  • Well, managed to make it work with the majority of my code intact.

Biggest issue seems to be that even though the page is finished loading, any images are not loaded till the page is clicked on, then everything is loaded and is fine.

That behavior was causing the display bug, since I had a backgroup image on a panel behind the textbox. That image was not being loaded properly, somehow causing the textbox not to reflect anything typed into it.

Once the page was clicked on, the backgroup image was loaded, and the text in the textbox was displayed.

What in the CE 6 version of the browser (should still be the same framework 2) is different then the CE 5 version and could be causing that issue?

Monday, November 14, 2011 8:18 PM