none
MDS 2012 SP1 bugs/issues

Question

• hi all, 

working with MDS 2012 (SQL 2012 SP1 version), I've across quite a few pesky issues and was wondering if there is a workaround, or else need to work with the metadata tables, directly:  

1. it appears to me that the "generate code automatically" option, when creating a new entity, creates a "text" based attribute, even though, I'd think, it should create an INT type attribute.  How can one correct that?

2. Also, when creating a business rule, one cannot rename it, and we get stuck w/ "New rule(1)"  etc.   Is there another way to rename the business rules?

3. How does one create an entity which has a compound column that determines the uniqueness?  Does one "generate code automatically" ("text" based) and then create a business rule after the fact, enforcing the compound-column uniqueness?

Is there a published list out there of items that the are desired to be fixed, for this product?  seems that there are quite a bit of silly little cosmetic items that the product is missing.  :-) 

thx a bunch,
    Cos

Thursday, December 19, 2013 8:16 PM

Answers

• 1. You should not care, as underneath there is a GUID created by MDS that it uses.

2. Double Click on the BR (in the grid , where all rules are listed) to change (I know does not follow the "pencil" edit ), same for changing priority of BR btw.

3. Can not generate Code that is = to Key1 + "-" + Key2 or something.

Or you could create business rule to enforce it like you are saying. We do that here works fine, but during initial, on screen, creation of the row you have to put in something in the code say "X1" for Code, as soon as the row is created BR runs and changes the value. If the new generated Code is not unique it will stay X1 though...

No list I've seen, try this to see what applies to MDS http://search.microsoft.com/en-us/supportresults.aspx?form=mssupport&q=Microsoft%20SQL%202012%20updates

maybe this is a better page to look http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2772858. I go through new builds and search for MDS or DQS for changes...

• Marked as answer by Cos2008 Thursday, December 19, 2013 9:12 PM
    • Edited by EthernetIP Thursday, December 19, 2013 9:14 PM
    Thursday, December 19, 2013 9:00 PM

All replies

• 1. You should not care, as underneath there is a GUID created by MDS that it uses.

2. Double Click on the BR (in the grid , where all rules are listed) to change (I know does not follow the "pencil" edit ), same for changing priority of BR btw.

3. Can not generate Code that is = to Key1 + "-" + Key2 or something.

Or you could create business rule to enforce it like you are saying. We do that here works fine, but during initial, on screen, creation of the row you have to put in something in the code say "X1" for Code, as soon as the row is created BR runs and changes the value. If the new generated Code is not unique it will stay X1 though...

No list I've seen, try this to see what applies to MDS http://search.microsoft.com/en-us/supportresults.aspx?form=mssupport&q=Microsoft%20SQL%202012%20updates

maybe this is a better page to look http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2772858. I go through new builds and search for MDS or DQS for changes...

• Marked as answer by Cos2008 Thursday, December 19, 2013 9:12 PM
    • Edited by EthernetIP Thursday, December 19, 2013 9:14 PM
    Thursday, December 19, 2013 9:00 PM
  • thx Ether,

duh, on 2. :-)          thx for the pointers! 

also, what (tool) do you guys use to view p/c hierarchies, to make changes?  looks like the web UI is limited w/ just a narrow window.  

Thursday, December 19, 2013 9:12 PM
  • We do not atm. We use hierarchies for these things at the moment:

1. User permissions as you can use the hierarchy and levels of it to assign user permissions. Its great if you want to limit someone's access to a node of the hierarchy... This one is huge in my book. Say you have a hierarchy of Book types (ok its a simple example)  well you can give some people access to Fiction books only,  someone else can have Fiction and Children Books...  And once this entity is limited all others fall into place on their own and you don't have to lift a finger. So someone with say Fiction Books goes to Web Explorer and looks at authors (that are linked to Books)  they will only see Authors of Fiction books. So they could manage those entries but not anything else....

2. You can create a view with hierarchy info on it. To model in excel

3. You can use the hierarchy view and to drag nodes around to place them in another category. Thus quickly moving a node from one category to another and MDS automatically reassigns the underlying Attribute to make it happened.

• Edited by EthernetIP Thursday, December 19, 2013 10:09 PM
    Thursday, December 19, 2013 10:07 PM
  • ..."This one is huge in my book. "  umm....oh (pleasantly surprised face), I must have missed an author!!! :-)    I got the Tyler Graham book on MDS 2012 a few days ago.... what title/author have I missed, Ether? :-)

Also, for ETL deletes/updates/inserts into the DW, after the fact, would you use the MUID column, as that would (presumably & hopefully) guarantee uniqueness?

thx,
    Cos

Thursday, December 19, 2013 10:20 PM
  • I am an architect, security, roles and proper management of such is typically a big mess. My book are the issues I have to deal with :) the most important book 4me...

No should almost always (and we never do otherwise, but I am sure there might be a case for it) is done via staging tables. Staging tables in MDS are always "keyed" by Code column for ID, but underneath the covers the queries, joints and such are done by GUIDs internally so there is no performance issue at that time.   The Code attribute is unique even if you elect to have it be populated via user / etl input.  We always construct it during the etl.  We create the Code that can be recreated with no lookup of current records in mds based on input data. That way we are not doing a lookup during staging. I realize that is not always possible but it is in our case.  So long winded answer is no leave the MUID for MDS use. Use Code for your use. If you need performance in your downstream Db convert Code to a unique number... 

Friday, December 20, 2013 2:30 PM