none
Remote BLOB Store on different servers

Question

• Hello!

Is it possible to deploy RBS (with the Remote Filestream provider) for the following scenario:

I want something like a private cloud with distribution/replication of data (BLOBs):

So I have a SQL Server (2008 or 2012, does not matter) which contains the Application Database (and stores the metadata of the BLOBs). Then I have my applications which all contain a RBS Client Library and a Provider Library. 

Is it possible to have several Remote BLOB stores (e.g. first on a server in location A, second on a server in location B) which contain exactly the same BLOBs (with the help of replication or something else) and when my user from location A wants a BLOB from an application, this application gets the location data from the Application database (which contains the metadata) and will then receive the file from the BLOB store which is in the same continent?

Or is there a way to solve this scenario when writing an own RBS provider?

Thanks in advance!

Wednesday, October 02, 2013 1:26 PM

All replies

• Hi  tjf2291,

I am trying to involve someone more familiar with this topic for a further look at this issue. Sometime delay might be expected from the job transferring. Your patience is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,
    Sofiya Li

Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, October 04, 2013 8:11 AM
  • Hello Sofiya Li,

Thanks for your response! I hope it is possible for someone to answer within this week.

Monday, October 07, 2013 6:50 AM
  • From my understanding, in terms of access, Remote Blog Storage /RBS behaves just as transparent as FileStream.

Therefore the odds are, that, for such a scenario, you would have to put all the logic inside the database – and maintain redundant tables (with redundant content) in order for some “round robin”-like access

You may want to check out the Whitepaper on RBS: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=210422

There is also a section on custom RBS Providers and a link to a codeplex project.

Andreas Wolter | Microsoft Certified Master SQL Server

Blog: www.insidesql.org/blogs/andreaswolter
    Web: www.andreas-wolter.com | www.SarpedonQualityLab.com

Monday, October 07, 2013 9:52 AM
  • Thank you for your answer.

I already checked out the whitepaper, the codeplex project and surfed a lot. But there is not much in the internet about RBS and custom RBS providers (especially writing your own provider).

I want to distribute large files (~ 20mb until 700mb), so my clients, which are spreaded worldwide, will have fast access to the documents. The metadata of the files will be cached with Windows Server AppFabric distributed cache. 

In the RBS codeplex project pools (folders) are created in the filesystem on the same server. Is it also possible to create pools on other servers via a web port or an remote access? So that I can reach several distributed BLOB stores?

Or does somebody has any other idea for distributing document files?
    • Edited by tjf2291 Tuesday, November 05, 2013 3:18 PM
    Tuesday, November 05, 2013 3:11 PM
  • I don’t know of any such method. It’s definitely not built into SQL Server

I suspect you will have to architect your system manually for your needs. For example you could have a mixture of local tables and distributed partitioned views on the data to store “local data” locally and keep “remote data” remotely. I would start thinking in this direction.

Andreas Wolter | Microsoft Certified Master SQL Server

Blog: www.insidesql.org/blogs/andreaswolter
    Web: www.andreas-wolter.com | www.SarpedonQualityLab.com

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 3:22 PM
  • If you are writing a custom RBS provider then you are completely in control of where the BLOBS are stored and how they are retrieved.

You would not be using the Filestream feature of SQL Server at all.

David

David http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dbrowne/

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 3:57 PM