none
Sql express 2008 r2 setup error

Question

• Hi.

In my setup, on "Setup Support Files" step this error occurred :

TITLE: SQL Server 2008 R2 Setup

------------------------------

The following error has occurred:SQL Server Setup has encountered an error when running a Windows Installer file.

Windows Installer error message:

The system cannot find the file specified.Windows Installer file:

c:\6c76451e896c50d5e23bc43a8c\PCUSOURCE\1033_ENU_LP\x86\setup\sqlsupport_msi\SqlSupport.msiWindows

Installer log file:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20130921_105154\SqlSupport_Cpu32_1_ComponentUpdate_2.logClick 'Retry' to retry the failed action, or click

'Cancel' to cancel this action and continue setup.For help, click:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkID=20476&ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=50000&ProdVer=10.50.2500.0&EvtType=0xC24842DB

------------------------------

BUTTONS:Retry Cancel

anyone know what this error ?

(this setup executed in VM)

Log file link
    Saturday, September 21, 2013 6:46 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Do you have windows Installer 4.5 that is required for SQL server 2008 R2.Please make sure you have .Net framework 3.5 SP1.

If these are present please download express edition again and try installing.It seems to me that file you downloaded is corrupt.Make sure account you use should be local admin.

Edit: if you are running from ISO file directly you might get this error.Try copying setup on local disk and run from there as administrator

If you are runnnig any security software disable it before installing.

Make sure your drives are not encrypted using and encryption software or compressed.

If it fails please post complete log again

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

• Edited by Shanky_621 Saturday, September 21, 2013 8:41 AM
    Saturday, September 21, 2013 8:16 AM
  • Installer 4.5 and .Net framwork 4.0 full is installed on my virtual machine but i call this setup with parameter.

may this cause Problem?

i trying to download [SQLEXPR_X86_ENU.exe] and i used [SQLEXPR32_X86_ENU.exe] previously.

EDIT : This error happen when i use setup with parameter only! i run setup with parameters that send my program to it. this problem that you see every time i run setup not appear and periodic change. in some times setup hanged on executing [sqlncli.msi].

may problem cause for Version of Sql express 2008 R2?

(my program pass parameter with C#: Process.start("source.exe","parameters");)
    Saturday, September 21, 2013 9:07 AM
  • Hello,

Since you are reinstalling SQL Server, please perform the steps provided on the following post:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sreekarm/archive/2010/03/15/sql-express-is-not-installed-properly-steps-to-be-taken-before-reinstall-again.aspx

Disable any security software on the computer too.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Saturday, September 21, 2013 5:05 PM
  • Hi amir,

According to the error message, we need to verify if the Windows Installer service is running and the Windows Installer registry setting is correct. For more information, you can refer to the following post.

In addition, you need to note the two package is different, you can install the package of SQLEXPR_x86_ENU.exe in a WoW environment ,or use this package if you want to install SQL Server 2008 Express 32bit on a 64bit operating system. However, we only install the SQLEXPR_x86_ENU.exe package on a 32bit operating system.

Reference: the similar issue:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/d43b2535-0feb-49ee-9965-fc8b0ef50bbc/failed-in-installing-sql-server-due-to-the-msi-install-error-failed-to-connect-to-server-error
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2642495/en-us

Thanks,
    Sofiya Li

Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 23, 2013 3:26 AM
  • Unfortunately, my problem not solve yet...

if i could solve it,Sure I will post solution.

very thanks from your answers and good luck.

Monday, September 23, 2013 2:31 PM