none
verify linq to sql values

Question

• When using the visual studio.net 2010 ide, I have not found a way to debug linq statements. This would also include linq to sql statements. Can you tell me how to debug linq statements?What window(s) should I use to see all the values? are there special editors like 'xml editors', 'notepad' and/or other tools I can use to see the values in fields that the linq query is being executed at?

For exmple if i get an error that says 'invalid cast' operation. How can I tell what column(field) is being referred to?
    Wednesday, February 06, 2013 2:05 AM

Answers

• Hi Wendy;

In VS 2008 they had a Expression Tree Visualization distributed with the samples, in VS 2010 they did not update the samples to include it. There was some people that found out how to make the 2008 to work in 2010 and the info can be found [ here ] I have not tried this so I can't say if it works well or not.

If you wish to visualize Linq queries sent to the SQL server or test and debug Linq queries a good tool to use is LinqPad and it is a FREE download.

Fernando (MCSD)

If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 5:24 AM